I need advice - traveling before medschool - please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dondon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go travel for about a month (12/23-1/23) in Europe.

My application has also been complete since mid september and I have yet to hear from anyone (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8984)

Should I be worried about traveling because a school might contact me while I am in Europe?? If I am invited for an interview, will the interview itself be pretty close to the date I was invited??

Please let me know what you guys think, how the process works, I want to travel, but not at the cost of getting into medical school - or maybe this isn't this even an issue...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of in the same boat, except I'm gone in february due to some family circumstances. In my case, I HAVE to leave, so I'm writing the schools a update letter telling them that I'll only be reachable through email during that time, and if they choose to interview me, that I'll try my best to make any alternative dates when I come back or before I leave.

I want to go travel for about a month (12/23-1/23) in Europe.

My application has also been complete since mid september and I have yet to hear from anyone (http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8984)

Should I be worried about traveling because a school might contact me while I am in Europe?? If I am invited for an interview, will the interview itself be pretty close to the date I was invited??

Please let me know what you guys think, how the process works, I want to travel, but not at the cost of getting into medical school - or maybe this isn't this even an issue...

Don't do it. Wait until you're at least done with your interviews. Btw, the time between interview invite and interview date is roughly 4 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
When usually the interview process start, assuming that the med school application is complete by late August? It is too risky to study abroad during a Fall Semester ?

I'm leaving in March, so I'm writing an update letter in early January saying that if they're thinking about interviewing me, they should do it. I'll be more polite, of course, but I want to be able to schedule them before I leave and I think six weeks' notice makes sense. Besides, if I get any March interviews, I'm looking at a spot on the waitlist anyway, right?

I was going to go on a January trip as well, but I thought missing so much of interview season would be unwise. So just communicate with the adcoms early (as in RIGHT NOW) and make sure you've at least got email while you're gone. And have fun!

perhaps during holiday season less invites are sent anyway so maybe it is better to travel during december january... what do you think??

is it worth sitting at home (not traveling) just for the chance of maybe getting an interview during december/january??