i need advice: USA wanting to go UK/Ireland!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkcola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whomever may be able to help:

I am a US born citizen, married to a Dutch national. I trained at St George University West Indies, took a hiatus from school/residency and did 2.5 years of Gen surgery training in the US south (ended up being a big mistake). Instead of fighting to move on and hit a new place to advance to a categorical 3rd year spot, I opted for Family Practice in the meantime because of a newborn baby girl (super cute) and that my wife and I are alone with no family support nearby. This proved very necessary! At any rate, we are stable, have always had plans to return to the UK (I did med school training there) or Ireland as either a finished Gen Surgeon or to continue residency there in surgery.

I really am not a fan of what I am doing now, I live off adrenaline and love the life/death decision making in surgery/trauma. I miss it dearly. So---

How is the best way to land a mildly advanced surgery spot in either country? How do I find openings in Ireland, Ive alrady been perusing the nhs jobs site. Also, any particular areas friendly to either US trained or St George grads?

Members don't see this ad.