Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nineinchnails, Nov 12, 2005.

1. nineinchnails

nineinchnails Junior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If anyone can please offer any words of advice I would appreciate it.....

Ok, let me first describe my situation. I am a first year, married, 23 yr old pharmacy student. Two years ago, I planned on going to medical school, but changed to pharmacy because I was worried about the lifestyle of a doc, raising a family, and not ever having time to enjoy the things in life that I like to do, such as working out, social events, etc. I come to find myself in pharmacy school with more time than ever, yet I do almost nothing. The school is a joke, I am not challenged whatsoever, I hardly attend classes, and frankly, a pharmacist does not seem challenging or fun to me, it seems like I am short changing myself.

Two years ago, I was also more immature. I thought more about money and lifestyle than what would make me happy/fulfill my interests. Now as a pharmacists, I will make decent money, and have a good lifestyle, but I already feel like it just isnt going to cut it. And, for the first time, instead of money, I am actually thinking more about people. And with that in mind, I could use my talents better as a doctor to help people than a pharmacist. I am not bashing pharmacy nor saying its beneath me, but I feel I can do so much more and WANT to do more as well.

My life fell down the gutter the second I decided not to go to medical school. I was a hardworking student, who exercised strictly, managed his time well, and valued his money. After I decided not to go to medical school, I lost all focus in life. I started gambling online, slacking at my workouts and getting off my routine, I am even less social than before, feel devoid of purpose, and have a total lack of enthusiasm for most things in life. I guess it really boils down to I used to care, and now I dont.

I am really thinking I made the biggest mistake of my life not going to medical school, but am still unsure. I am a great applicant(35 MCAT, 3.82 GPA, BS in medicinal chemistry, some volunteer experience) and dont think I would have a problem getting in. But that sets my life back a number of years(getting a house, possibly having kids), but I feel if I am so unhappy, then what does any of that stuff matter. Enought rambling, I could say more, but I think I described myself enough for now.....so what do you think, should I reapply to medical school, and accept that I wasted 2 years, or move on.....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

The answer is right there. If you truly feel you're going to have regrets in the future...go for it.

Unfortunately, I don't know what path you would take in terms of getting to med school --> drop out, then apply next cycle...or maybe finish pharmacy school(which would give you a lot academic experience for med school as well) and then go for medical school? You could also work as a pharmacist after pharmacy school, establish your life...THEN enter medicine? It isn't unheard of, you can do it if you really want it.

4. nineinchnails

nineinchnails Junior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    thanks....anyone else got an opinion, I would really appreciate as much input as possible

5. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Apply to med school. You don't want to regret not applying for the rest of your life. Two years won't seem like much later on. It's better to waste them than feel that you have wasted your potential. It looks like you're very unhappy with pharmacy so why keep doing it? You live only once.

6. Kiroro

Kiroro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would say just apply to med-school this year for the entering class of 2006.

I mean it's kinda obvious that being a pharmacist is not exciting at all. Sure, it is a profession in medical field but if I can't be a physician, pharmacist is definitely not my next pick or the one after next...

I recommend you to apply now b/c you have a family, so you have only limited med school that you can apply to. I mean the ones near your family. That probably would be your state school (although I don't know which state you live in). It shouldn't be a problem for you to get into your state school with your great MCAT score and GPA.

Good Luck :luck:

Oh wait, did AMCAS's dead line date to apply already pass? If so you gonna have to wait for another year.

7. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say apply...theres no point going down a road if you know it's the wrong way

8. kaffy

kaffy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think applying now will be a big set back. I am applying now too at 25, married, after grad school. Don't think of med school years as lost years - think of them as hard years that will get you to where you want to be. Seriously, though, many people can start families in med school (maybe fourth year is best, though) and you are still really young.

9. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

Shadow more physicians. Do more clinical work for a while, and determine whether it is truly something you want. Then do what you can to get in.

it is not wise to go into any career solely for medicine. I've seen how many people have had their lives destroyed by doing such.

If you truly feel medicine is the way to go, then you should go ahead and apply and do things to strengthen your application in terms of EC's. Be sure to be able to explain everything clearly.

10. Pretty POHA

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Look at the things you KNOW as fact and then make a decision based upon what your educated guess would be as the situation for the future!

First: We don't KNOW any fact about life other than that a) you're currently alive and b) this may be the only opportunity you ever have to experience LIFE

Second: If this IS our only chance at LIFE, then we've got to decide how we're going to use it. I know very few people that would choose an unhappy LIFE. A vast majority of people would choose happiness.

Third: If you're unhappy with your current path, and you want to maximize this (possibly) only chance you've been given to experience it, then you have to discover what makes you HAPPY in this LIFE.

Fourth: If it's becoming a doctor that you think will make you happy, then the only logical thing to do is to go for it. Don't look back and wonder how much time you've wasted to come to this conclusion-- look forward to see what it will take to acheive that goal of happiness in life.

And if you go for it, and discover you're still not happy, then find the next path that could lead you to happiness. It gets really exciting when you realize you have hundreds of paths you can take that all lead to HAPPINESS, and it's up to you to maximize those choices and enjoy the ride while you're getting there.

11. Chinorean

Chinorean Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Put it this way--imagine that you decided to stay in pharmacy. Then a few years later you meet a 30-year-old with kids who informs you that they've just started medical school, and they've never been so happy in their life. How jealous and full of regret would you be? Because there are lots of non-traditional applicants who walk away from a lot to start medical school.

Anyways, 2 years is just a drop in the bucket! People are supposed to change career paths a bunch of times.

12. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc

Make babies during med. school. I hear it's the new fad nowadays. You can be a baby boomer too if you want. You just have to commit to it.

This message has been sealed and approved by Howard Dean:

[​IMG]

13. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say DON'T apply right now - but reserve the right to apply later. Right now, it sounds like you have too many questions. You can't start a task as difficult as medical school if you have doubts about whether or not it is something that you want to do. I would suggest doing some volunteer work, shadowing, or working in a health care field so that you can expose yourself to what being a doctor is like, as well as what working as a different kind of health care worker (eg PA, NP) is like so that you can make the decision with the most information possible.

Good luck!

14. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    This is a decision that you need to talk over with your spouse. There is no good time to have a baby, you have to just do it. (Advice from a Harvard MBA married to a D.O.; they have 3 beautiful children :love: ) It is certainly possible to have a baby while in med school. Even female med students do it -- it is even easier for men because you don't have trouble moving around and you don't have to worry about going into labor during an exam.

You should prepare to apply early in the 2006-07 cycle to start in Fall '07. Find a volunteer or research opportunitynow if pharm classes aren't keeping you busy enough. If you could get a job now it might be worth it to leave school at the end of the semester (don't take withdrawals, stay in and earn grades) and work through Fall '07. By working you'll have some $$ ahead when it is time to start school (unless that's going to cause more problems with student loans coming due).

You sound very disappointed with your choice. It is not too late to take a different path. Talk it over and make a decision by June-August '06.
    :luck: