Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

i need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by janula3, Jun 23, 2002.

1. janula3

janula3 New Member

hey,
    i need a little guidance. i have a 3.5 gpa but really really bad mcat scores. (20) :( i've taken them twice and haven't improved now..i know i won't get into any us schools, so i was thinking of going int'l. I'm open for anything really. i was looking at schools in poland and st. george. i'm not really familiar with any other ones. can anyone give me some input on other schools like ones in ireland, australian etc.? Also does anyone have any adice for me about my situation or is anyone in the same boat?my mcats really discouraged me and now i don't know what i should do. i want to become a doctor, but i don't know where to turn.
    thanks

2. shorrin

shorrin the ninth doctor
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    J,

I took the mcat 3 times and improved my score on the last round. Have you taken a prep course? The pr really helped me out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MSTP boy

MSTP boy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did you take all the necessary classes for the MCAT?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

as far as i know, all med schools in ireland and australia require mcats except trinity college in dublin. trinity's a very good school, but if everything else looks good, you would have a shot at getting in. the course at trinity is 5 years rather than 4.

5. janula3

janula3 New Member

hi
    i took kaplan last summer, took the mcats in august...got a 20. then last semester i studied on my own with new princeton books (which i got from a friend who signed up for the course twice automatically, but then ended up doing well on his mcats and didn't need to take them again). my mcat score in april actually was lower than last years. it's like there's no hope for me. which is why i either want to wait a little before taking them again..i think i need to relax and then get much more motivated or resort to schools that don't really care about mcat scores.
    -janula3

6. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're not too much in a hurry I suggest you try to figure out why you're doing so poorly on the MCAT. Your 3.5 GPA means that you DO have the capacity to do well in school, so I'd try to see if maybe you have some kind of anxiety problem that causes you to do poor on a standardized exam. Were you also scoring in this range while you were taking practice tests? Also, what is your breakdown? If all possible try to avoid having to go overseas.

7. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

if u'r thinking about taking them again- take the MCAT in August. and prepare thru the summer.
    Helpful hints about studyin for the exam is to finish the textbooks for all subjects within a month (i like the Kaplan books because they dont go too indepth on their various topics).

Then the key to success is taking practice exams over and over again. Now after every practice run you should go over the test and see what you got wrong and why you got it wrong.
    Pre-exposure to certain sets of questions- Because, you would notice questions that are usually repeated - and this is really helpful - because on the actual exam you cut time and energy trying to figure out an answer.

Its a hard journey but I'm sure - you can do it! Good Luck.

8. ellerose

ellerose Member
    7+ Year Member

Get tested for learning disabilities/anxiety disorders as soon as you can. Your pre-med and/or major advisor should know where to send you for help.

If you can, wait another year and take the MCATs again in April. With less than two months before August's test, it might be a bit much for you to radically improve your score. Take this next year to explore other options, like working, doing research, etc.

However, if you are set on applying this year, consider the foreign schools, but only if you have no other choices, and you are willing to live in a foreign country for a couple to a few years. I don't know much about the European/Australian schools, but I think Ross and St. George's have a decent reputation in the states, even though some people will still scoff at Carribbean schools.

Have you talked to your premed advisor about this? They may be able to direct you to information about the different foreign schools, if they think that that is a route you should take.

Good luck with everything. If medicine is truly your life's passion, it will happen. :)