I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyy200tx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transfered to a HBCU from a Junior college, with the intend of getting into Pharmacy school this next year. As of now it will be very easy for me to get into Pharmacy school if i decide to stay here since the school has Pharmacy department. Now i changed my mind, I think Pharmacy is not for me. I want to transfer to University of North Texas to finish my degree there. Since it close home and i will get the see my family more often.
I want to leave this school because they dont have any research going on and i feel like my education is suffering, not only that but the school has a bad reputation. I also feel like my degree will suffer and will be worth nothing.

The question is should i transfer to UNT or just stay here and finish my BS. Will med school look at my under grad school and will they consider that i change school 3 times....

Please give me your logic advise... I need it, so i will register for classes now.

Members don't see this ad.

I transfered to a HBCU from a Junior college, with the intend of getting into Pharmacy school this next year. As of now it will be very easy for me to get into Pharmacy school if i decide to stay here since the school has Pharmacy department. Now i changed my mind, I think Pharmacy is not for me. I want to transfer to University of North Texas to finish my degree there. Since it close home and i will get the see my family more often.
I want to leave this school because they dont have any research going on and i feel like my education is suffering, not only that but the school has a bad reputation. I also feel like my degree will suffer and will be worth nothing.

The question is should i transfer to UNT or just stay here and finish my BS. Will med school look at my under grad school and will they consider that i change school 3 times....

Please give me your logic advise... I need it, so i will register for classes now.

As long as it's regionally accredited, your undergrad university isn't going to be a critical factor in admission decisions. On the other hand, attending 3 schools also isn't going to "ding" you but may leave adcoms wondering why you transferred twice.

I say go to the school where you feel you will succeed, which sounds like UNT. Better to transfer, be happy, and be more likley to earn good grades than risk your grades suffering because you're not happy at your current school.

But if you're indifferent, it's not worth the move.

My grades will not suffer. I am getting all A's here right now. It seems like its more easy here than my J. college.... I am in Texas Southern University now and nothing is really good here. I will get all A's easy as they really want their students to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also have to think how well will you be prepared for the MCAT. Even if your school has a bad reputation, a good MCAT score will erase doubt that you know the material. On the other hand, if you aren't putting in the effort to understand the material, perhaps your MCAT score will reflect that.

I don't think there's a right call here. Transferring again won't ding your application but might leave someone wondering why you can't commit to one school. But I really don't see an adcom saying "well, we WOULD admit keyy200tx except he went to THREE schools."

By the way, I have 8 college transcripts (lots of community colleges, 3 four-year universities). And going to "too many schools" isn't keeping me out.

Wow.... I still have some weeks to make up my mind. UNT is cheaper if too ... lol