• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Namely on my likelihood of getting into medical school; I ask here because most of you are my peers and are in the loop, med school app. wise. Texas pre-med students' opinions are really preferable since that is the state I am in and will be applying.
Ok, I started off college rather blandly. Senioritis and all that for first couple of years. Made B's that could have easily been A's, mostly because of being absent and didn't take the course load I should have for whatever reason arose.
However, I got my act together around summer of 04 and have picked up since then. I work as a Pharmacy tech at a hospital where I have gotten familiarity with the drugs(no,not by taking them), procedures of the hospital, reading doctors' orders(I'm thinking of teaching a course in cryptography) and been on dozens of cardiac and respiratory codes where I've watched trauma/ER physicians perform cardiac and respiratory codes. I've seen many people die on these, sometimes with the family present; I think that should be noted on a personal statement as a form of clinical experience and how I dealt with casualties.

I am in a research program and have been for about a year. It's headed by an MD, so that is sort of considering shadowing, whenever I meet with him.

Volunteer-wise I've done moderately, I would say. I have done some volunteer work at my hospital, some at a center for children with disabilities(autism, muscular dystrophy, etc) and some mentoring at a middle school near my uni. I'm also in AMSA and have been the SGA rep for a semester and plan on running for President or VP for Fall. Nothing special.
Shadowing wise, if you include the codes, I've shadowed a total of about 12 physicians. About 7 for a few hours a piece, 3 for several hours(both of those groups of trauma physicians are accumulated hours on the codes) and about three I have shadowed for many hours(neo-natologist, pathologist and gastro-enterologist).
I'm CPR/First-Aid certified through the Red Cross. Think that should be mentioned on a personal statement.

I work full time and last Spring and Fall I took 15 and 17 hours, respectively. Spring I took Organic Chem II and Physics II while handling work, the research and everything in between. I barely got any sleep that semester. I faired better in the fall.

My GPA has gone up to a 3.619. I am taking 11 hours only this semester(MCAT prep time is needed) and with all A's I should be able to bring that up to a 3.68 or so.

MCAT wise, I am taking Kaplan classes. 19 on the diagnostic(I had been up for about 16 hours before hand, I work midnights, got off at 7am and took that S.O.B at 1030am, so I think that affected my score. However, I made a 26 on the last(3rd) Kaplan Full Length CBT I took. I think I can bring the MCAT score up to a 30 if I try hard enough.

Interview wise, I am fairly outgoing(ie, I'm not a plank of wood with no personality) and have been reading up on strategies to tackle the interview.

That all having been said, do you think I stand a decent chance of getting into medical school?

Doctor wise, I think I'm set as I have both poor hand writing and a funny last name.

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Get your MCAT up, and try to aim for something a little higher than a 30. I mean a 30 is good enough to get you in somewhere, but getting something higher will definitely make it easier.

Assuming your GPA is from a tier 1 school that's just fine and dandy, a 3.68 is good enough to get you into med school (again, assuming you're at a tier 1 university).

So...work on that MCAT, everything else looks to be in good order =)

jillibean

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
MCAT wise, I am taking Kaplan classes. 19 on the diagnostic(I had been up for about 16 hours before hand, I work midnights, got off at 7am and took that S.O.B at 1030am, so I think that affected my score. However, I made a 26 on the last(3rd) Kaplan Full Length CBT I took. I think I can bring the MCAT score up to a 30 if I try hard enough.

Once you have an MCAT score, people will be able to give you a better idea. Realistically though, it will be hard to get into an MD with less than 9's (IMO).

About the Ads

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ah, ok. I'll aim for 45 and probably hit something like 32.:p
Seriously though, I'm pounding that crap out of this MCAT prep as much as I can.

GAdoc

GAdoc
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2005
Akron
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Only because I saw no one had posted a response I will take a stab. First off, I'm not going to a Texas school...I'm from Georgia and will be attending Mercer University School of Medicine in the fall.

I was also intrigued because my story is similar to yours. It's not that I fooled around my first couple of years - I actually worked really hard. However, the gap between what my teachers expected my senior year of high school, and what they expected out of a freshman biomedical engineering student were quite different. I spent my first year learning to study. Thus, I finished college with a degree in BME and the following premed stats:

Gen Chem I and II - B
Physics I - B
Physics II - A
Biology I and II - A
Organic I and II -B

As you can see, these are not stellar scores. My overall GPA was 3.57.

My volunteer work/shadowing consisted of one month in an ER. I was president of the BME club, and VP of College Republicans, but that's really it.

I took the KAPLAN MCAT course. It was the biggest waste of money ever. I made a 22 on my diagnostic, but improved to a 33 by the time I was finished. I made a 24 on the actual test. With a lot of hard work and REAL studying during the next summer, I improved to a 27. I also spent the year after graduation volunteering at a free medical clinic and working at our local hospital as a BME.

Anyway, bottom line is...I was accepted, but only after my third attempt.

It's a tough road and largely a crap-shoot. You'll see people on here with better stats than mine or yours who don't even get an interview. You'll see others with lower stats that get accepted to their school of choice. Medical schools truly hand select the people they want in their class. All stats are is a way for them to be sure you won't flunk out. However, they know better than anybody that they could fill their classes two or three times over with an applicant pool and still never have a kid flunk. If you even make it to apply to med school, it probably means you can handle it. My advice...blow away the MCAT, keep pulling your scores up, and do NOT give up. DO is a great route, but if you REALLY want to be a US MD grad...don't even think of other options until you give it a couple tries. Persistance goes a long way with ADCOMS. Good luck!

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for that last one. I have quite a tenacious attitude; I never give up. I fully intend to take this MCAT head on and leave it behind me.

future_dr_house

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You're on the right track (I am from TX btw). Both GPA and MCAT are important, so by all means get those up. I think you're on the right track for the MCAT mine was similar, started with an 18 diag to a 32. Don't lose sight of your classes. Your Extra Curriculars sound really great, also remember apply EARLY (b/t Jun 1 and July 1). Keep your head up and aspirations high and you'll be fine.

p.s. keeping us in your thoughts for those of us going to the match probably will reap some karma points for you too and those are almost as good as MCAT points ;)

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What are ECs exactly?

I'll be sure to say a prayer for, among other things, karma.
Don't want my karma to run over my dogma.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That all having been said, do you think I stand a decent chance of getting into medical school?

You're in very good shape, assuming you don't choke on the MCAT. If you're finished with Kaplan, in my humble opinion the best way to continue prep is to take more practice exams. By that I mean every practice exam you can get your hands on. A friend of mine had a meager outing on her first MCAT (low-mid 20's) and spend the next 10 months taking countless practice exams. On her retake she got a 37. I realize that advice is anecdotal, but really, taking the test had become second nature to her after all the labor she put in.

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have about three months of Kaplan left. I've taken three full lengths and have 17 left(9 are the AAMC ones that are now available through Kaplan).
One of my instructors said the one constant about everyone he knows that made high scores on the MCAT was that they took a lot of practice exams.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have about three months of Kaplan left. I've taken three full lengths and have 17 left(9 are the AAMC ones that are now available through Kaplan).
One of my instructors said the one constant about everyone he knows that made high scores on the MCAT was that they took a lot of practice exams.

Rock 'n roll. It sucks, but just take them and then take more. Take them until you bleed out your ass. It's good practice for med school.

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your grades and ECs look solid, but you really need to do well on the MCAT. You should be doing practice passages and practice tests until your brain hurts...and then do more. If you scored above a 30, you'd have a decent shot, but if you could get the score to somewhere in the mid-30s, it'd almost be a sure thing and you'd also have a shot and any of the top schools.

JHU Texan

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
The most important thing you can do as a TX resident is to APPLY EARLY to the TX schools. All the schools stop interviewing in mid-December/early-January, which means all invitations to interview are sent out before winter break. Even a 28/29 MCAT would not hinder your chances for one in-state acceptance, but as other people have been saying, try to get that as high as possible.

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you everyone for the replies; they're very helpful
At someone else's indication: I'm white

I think May 31st is early enough for the MCAT. I wish I could take it the 11th, but like I said there were problems.

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Speaking from personal experience, you need to focus on nailing the MCAT. Don't settle for less than a 30. GPA and extracurriculars are important to get your foot in the door, but if you don't have a good MCAT score the door will be closed anyway. I thought Kaplan's test prep sucked and if I were you, I'd focus strictly on doing old AAMC tests and working on your weak areas. That's just my $0.02

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.