I need an expert opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tutankh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, after spending a semester at a Caribbean school, I decided to retake the MCAT and apply to a US DO school. Main reason is that I couldn not adjust to that environment, even though the school I attended is a great school, and I learned a lot. I passed all courses.

When I fill out my AACOMAS application, should I mention the medical school I went to and submit transcripts? What are the Pros & Cons?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to include that in your application and send transcripts. If you don't bad things will happen.

You might get more opinions on this if you pose the question under Caribbean in the International Medical Forums.

I remember reading a similar situation a few years ago. (It might have been in the ValueMD forums) From what I remember, this person went to a Caribbean school then applied to MD schools, interviewed, and got accepted. He didn't mention about his time in the Caribbean school because he didn't take out any loans.

I think some DO schools would understand if you're able to articulate your reason. You might want to also explain that you feel strongly to the DO philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is a question on the application of "have you matriculated to medical school before" you would have to say yes.

However, I would definitely call a DO school or two and ask them about your situation. It's definitely not the norm. And if you're worried about being "blacklisted", call a few schools that are either really really low on your list or ones that aren't even on your list of schools to apply to.

If there is a question on the application of "have you matriculated to medical school before" you would have to say yes.

However, I would definitely call a DO school or two and ask them about your situation. It's definitely not the norm. And if you're worried about being "blacklisted", call a few schools that are either really really low on your list or ones that aren't even on your list of schools to apply to.

I do't recall a option like that. I think it just asks " have applied to this school before?" and " type of program?"

I do't recall a option like that. I think it just asks " have applied to this school before?" and " type of program?"

Shy is right, most schools ask that question on the secondary application.

AACOMAS paper application:

15. Have you ever matriculated in or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree? Yes [ ] No [ ]

Have you looked into the option of transferring? you would probably have to start over in year 1, but perhaps could get advanced standing for some of the regular coursework...

Have you looked into the option of transferring? you would probably have to start over in year 1, but perhaps could get advanced standing for some of the regular coursework...

I thought about that, but that seems to be a harder route to take, as almost all DO schools would only accept transfer students from other Do schools, and the process of transferring itself seems to be more complex and (less) guaranteed. Since I’ll lose a year anyway, I may as well start all over fresh, and year 1 class will be a repeat any way, and hopefully I will do well;).