I need help and something for anxiety. (Kidding on the latter LOL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natasha029

AnxiousUndergrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really though, I'm about to pull my hair out my head.

Some of you may have read my previous posts, I don't post much, I usually lurk around and try to gather advice others have given but I think my situation is slightly more detailed than others.

I'm in New Orleans and just finished my first year at UNO.
I am not pleased with UNO's Biology degree, I think it is rather a waste of my time that useful other than the fact that core classes for advanced degrees are integrated. I am not excited about botany. :(

The problem is, I like a lot of health related jobs. I could see myself an MD, DDS, even a nurse.
Cliche, I like to help people. I am capable of grueling study hours, I don't mind the lengthy school time because, well, time is gonna go by anyways!

For my NOLA/LA peoples, perhaps you could answer me better.
Should I consider paying to go to Loyola, Tulane, or Holy Cross? Their biology programs are much more appealing and less "old school?" for lack other better words to describe UNO.
I have the Louisiana "TOPS" scholarship that pays my way to any state university like LSU, UNO, ULL, Delgado, etc. It will put forth some for private universities.

If I did leave UNO, I'd be paying A LOT for Loyola or Tulane, like 20k a year. YIKES!! And still I would need loans for med or dent school.
I don't want to set back my loans tooo far. I'm honestly a little scared of debt.

I really like LSU med and dent programs down here and since UNO is an LSU ran school, we get preference to LSU graduate programs. So that's a bonus.. I guess.

I have a 3.88 cumulative, 3.67 fall 07, and 4.0 for spring 08.
And I need to make up my mind by like Tuesday for summer classes.. Anat & Phys.. Bios II.. precalc alg.. english..?

UGGH!!! Someone just please help!!!!! I'm a wee freshman!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not from the area, but consider that no matter where you go, you will probably have to take a few classes you don't like as prerequisites or requirements for your major or general requirements to make you well-rounded in a liberal arts curriculum. I would not transfer to another school to do the same degree so I could avoid just a few classes...maybe if I felt the school wasn't challenging enough or overall had poor quality classes or research opportunities, but not because I had to take a botany class. You seem to be doing well, and it would be sad to disrupt that GPA trend.

I second everything that ScarlettGirl said. I'll add that another school would have to provide quite an advantage to make the $60,000 + interest difference worthwhile to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered another degree program?

Microbiology (if they have it)? Chemistry? Physics?

*BUMP*

Hoping to get more replies..

I have considered majoring in psychology.

For anyone who cares to know, http://biology.uno.edu/ugcurr.aspx
is UNO's biology program.
Maybe you could tell me how it compares to yours? Would you like this program?
:confused:

*BUMP*

Hoping to get more replies..

I have considered majoring in psychology.

For anyone who cares to know, http://biology.uno.edu/ugcurr.aspx
is UNO's biology program.
Maybe you could tell me how it compares to yours? Would you like this program?
:confused:

I'd concur with the responses above regarding sticking with the program you're at given the cost difference of changing, I had similar experience with some mediocre instructors at my post-bacc program, but there were a few that were incredible, I'd speak with classmates in your area to learn who's good. My thought is to absorb as much as possible from the textbooks when the instructors are not quite what they could be.

Funny thing is that for the MCAT, the examkracker's biology section book is around 150 pages long including quizzes, that's all you need to know for the MCAT, more knowledge couldn't hurt but is not really required prior to med school.

Somewhat surprising to me that all that bio plant material taught in bio was not "required" by med schools, was not covered on the MCAT, and can now be forgotten, but med schools look at gpa for all classes (so my course on advanced spanish literature focusing on the 15th century counts for this) even though many that I've taken likely won't improve the type of physician I'll be. Good thing I earned all those As in Spanish & Economics? who knows, be patient!