1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

I need help!!(clinical experience or grades?)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Challenge, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Challenge

10+ Year Member

Hi I'm 25 and I've been a clinical technician for over 4mos. as a full-time. I'm interested in applying for both DO and MD. But I would choose DO as priority. Recently I applied for graduate school in biotech program to get MS degree before I apply for med school.
    I have an overall GPA (2.8) with B.S. in Nutrition and Exercise Science (too much party and English is my second language) and just started post-bacc so I can retake some courses and take higher-level science classes to improve my grades. But working as an clin tech as a full-time, I could only take 6-9credits (assuming I get straigt A's). I really need to improve my GPA, learn how to manage time, read a lot of books and study English to catch up things to braoden my intellect and to become a person like natural Americans who don't have to worry too much about verbal part on MCAT.
    So I really want to quit my job as a clin tech (after 7mos. of full-time experience) next Spring semester and take 18-20 credits and read a lot of books, newspapers, memorizing vocab. etc.
    After that, during the summer, I am planning to volunteer(approx. 200hrs) for American Red cross at U.S. army base in my country where I've grown up for almost 18 years.
    I have 2years of part-time teaching assistant at a taekwondo gym when I was in high school and 80hrs of work as a volunteer and intern at physical therapy and 2mos. of full-time physical therapy aide. I also have a little bit of health educator experience.
    Is it going to be ok or better if I quit clinical experience to take more courses and get better grade? I just don't think 16hrs per week working as a clin tech for remaining 5 mos. won't make big difference on my resume and I would rather spend time reading lots of books and start preparing MCAT.

Another question is do I really have to like my job as a clin tech to become a great doctor? I like helping people but the work in my department is soooo demanding as a physical and mental. I'm considering to have research experience before I apply for med school. And how much is plenty of volunteer and clinical/research experience? It seems like those experiences are essential pre-req for all pre-med. How can I be competetive candidate for med school?
    I need all the sincere salutary advices. Please help! Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.