I need help!(clinical experience or grades?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm 25 and I've been a clinical technician for over 4mos. as a full-time. I'm interested in applying for both DO and MD. But I
would choose DO as priority. Recently I applied for graduate school in biotech program to get MS degree before I apply for
med school.
I have an overall GPA (2.8) with B.S. in Nutrition and Exercise Science (too much party and English is my second language)
and just started post-bacc so I can retake some courses and take higher-level science classes to improve my grades. But working
as an clin tech as a full-time, I could only take 6-9credits (assuming I get straigt A's). I really need to improve my GPA, learn how to manage time, read a lot of books and study English to catch up things to braoden my intellect and to become a person like natural Americans who don't have to worry too much about verbal part on MCAT.
So I really want to quit my job as a clin tech (after 7mos. of full-time experience) next Spring semester and take 18-20 credits
and read a lot of books, newspapers, memorizing vocab. etc.
After that, during the summer, I am planning to volunteer(approx. 200hrs) for American Red cross at U.S. army base in my country where I've grown up for almost 18 years.
I have 2years of part-time teaching assistant exp.at a taekwondo gym when I was in high school and 80hrs of work as a volunteer
and intern at physical therapy and 2mos. of full-time physical therapy aide. I also have a little bit of health educator experience.

Is it going to be ok or better if I quit clinical experience to take more courses and get better grade? I just don't think 16hrs per week working as a clin tech for remaining 5 mos. won't make big difference on my resume and I would rather spend time reading lots of books and start preparing MCAT.

Another question is do I really have to like my job as a clin tech to become a great doctor? I like helping people but the work in
my department is soooo demanding as a physical and mental. I'm considering to have research experience before I apply for
med school. And how much is plenty of volunteer and clinical/research experience? It seems like those experiences are essential pre-req for all pre-med. How can I be competetive candidate for med school?
I need all the sincere salutary advices. Please help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I guess I wrote too much with too many questions....

grades definitely weigh more than clinical experience, so I would aim for higher grades. clinical experience is important, as well as volunteer and extracurriculars, however, the most important aspect of you being able to handle the courseload in medical school is reflected by your MCAT score and your GPA. If you did not have the discipline to achieve high grades in undergrad, what makes you think that you will have the discipline to achieve success with an even greater workload in med school? I would work hard at pulling your GPA up, a 2.8 would get eliminated right away..at least a 3.2 might get you into a DO school. Good luck buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still can't decide what to do.
Couple of employees who work as a clin tech (they are also pre-med) seems like they don't mind working as a tech. One guy I know has almost 3years of experience. And I only have 5 mos. although I have a little tiny bit of physical therapy and some Tae-kwon-do experiences. I feel like I am really spoiled girl compared to those pre-med guys who never
complain about working as a clin tech. I just want to quit this job after 6 or 7mos. of experience and concentrated on studying, and improve my grades and verbal skills for MCAT.
So they are the ones who's going to become great doctors because they have much longer experience than I do?
Who has more chance?

A person who has 3-4years of only patient direct care experience with around 3.4GPA and 28MCAT score? or
A person who has variety of short-time experiences (for example, 2 mos. of volunteer, 6mos of CNA, 3mos of research.) with 3.2 undergrad GPA, 28MCAT and 3.8 graduate GPA??

Anybody opinions? please.....

Why don't you go back to your country and go to medical school there? Seems like you would be better acclimated to the environment, and also you would probably be more competitive there than in the U.S. Where you from originally? Middle East? Asia?

Originally posted by The_Sherminator:
Why don't you go back to your country and go to medical school there? Seems like you would be better acclimated to the environment, and also you would probably be more competitive there than in the U.S. Where you from originally? Middle East? Asia?

Is this an insult or what???
Have I done something wrong???
Whoa... that was scary...
As a matter of fact, that was very rude.
You probably don't know jack about medical school in other countries.
God, really pi$$ing me off....