I need help (I'm reallly confused)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

public5656

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I don’t expect anyone to solve anything for me, but to give some feedback on my choices.

So here is the story. I became interested in genetics when I was working as a Transporter at a hospital from 2002-2005.

When I was working at the hospital as a transporter, I really enjoyed working in the hospital setting. When I was a transporter, I had the opportunity of working with children and adults who had genetic disorders (not knowing the exact genetic disorder because of confidentiality reasons). When I first started the transporter job, I knew very little about genetics. Since I was curious to learn about how the patients developed genetic conditions, I spent some time at the local medical library learning about genetic disorders/syndromes and became absolutely fascinated with the developmental mechanisms of genetic disorders. Therefore, I had spent the next couple of years exploring what career opportunities were available for a person to work with genetic disorders and with people who have genetic disorders.

After taking some time to explore what career opportunities were available in the field of genetics, I started to do some shadowing with clinical geneticists and genetic counselors. I really enjoyed the shadowing experience that I had with the genetic counselors and clinical geneticists. Since I was also interested in doing genetic research on genetic disorders, I did a summer internship working on age-related macular degeneration. The internship was a great experience and I learned a lot about how scientific research is done in the laboratory setting. What I disliked the most about a career as a genetic researcher is working at the lab bench all day and not having the opportunity of working with people on a daily basis…I realized then I wanted a career that deals with biosocialpsychological and policy issues in genetics.

I have explicitly listed what my interests are and what my career goals are on many blogs and websites. I keep saying I want a career in genetic counseling but everyone keeps telling to be a clinical geneticist. Yes I would love to diagnose patients and provide management options for the patients, but I also want to explain to people how genetic disorders develop. I have decided not to get a DO or MD degree because the only reason I would get that degree for is for diagnosing patients. I also want to do some policy work in the field of genetics. I would like the opportunity to develop legislation in the field of genetics. So everyone keeps telling me that I need to choose what career I want, but I am having a really hard time deciding on exactly what career I should go into because everyone keeps telling me to get an MD. The thing is, I’m not a competitive applicant for medical school. My GPA is only around the 2.9 to 3.0 range. I know I would have a really hard time getting into a medical school, so that I why I don’t bother giving it any thought. I just want to get done with undergraduate school.

I have been looking into a PhD in Public Health genetics, but then I miss out on the opportunity to explain to people how disorders develop. I would love to teach a medical ethics course to undergraduate students. So I know I at least need a masters degree to teach at a university. I also looked into a masters degree in Health Advocacy, but I have no idea what type of job I could get in that area. I’m really passionate about getting genetics into primary care. I know that I will have a hard time getting into any program because of my grades, but I won’t have any trouble showing my comparison and love for the field of genetics. I love learning about the etiology of genetic disorders, I love explaining to people how disorders develop, I love talking about genetic issues, and I want a career in genetics. So whenever I explain what my interests, I keep getting told to get a medical degree. I just don’t think getting a medical degree is worth it just to have the chance to diagnose patients, which is not the highest of my interests anyways.

I would rather work with a patient that has already been diagnosed with a genetic condition and do the rest of the work (explaining the condition, ordering tests, and so forth).

What I have been thinking of doing is getting a masters in genetic counseling and and do family histories, and explain the condition to patients that have a genetic disorder and so forth.

I just don’t know what to do because of what everyone keeps telling me.

This is what I want to do no matter what career I chose:
- teach a bioethics course, or medical ethics course at a university
- explain genetic conditions to patients
- develop legislation in the field of genetics
- order genetic tests and do family histories
- being a consultant for diagnosing a patient and what course of management should be taken
- possibly do some basic science research
- get genetics into primary care

Should I work hard at try to get into a DO school? Should I get a public policy degree? Should I get a PhD in Public Health Genetics? Should I get a genetic counseling degree? Should I become a PA?

If I have to keep taking classes at the undergraduate level I’m going to get into some major dept that I will not be able to pay off when a little job that doesn’t have enough of salary to pay back the dept.

The courses that I have liked the most in college include: genetics, heredity, embryology, and biochemistry.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

My current thinking is getting a masters degree in genetic counseling and a masters in public policy.

i think this is Genetics (ie the user) in disguise:laugh: :smuggrin: :rolleyes::thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to people who do the kind of work that you want to do. Get advice from them.

The interesting thing is this:

If it's not him: This is a really well-written troll post. It hit all the classic high points about counceling and how his GPA is too low for med school, but that's okay because he doesn't want to be a doctor anyway. It's a little tame compared to the old "Medicine is stupid" posts, but still in the same theme.

If it is him: Then he's been lurking, tossing up occassional posts for a whole two months without revealing himself. Why now? He could have gone on without ever mentioning the whole genetic counceling thing again, but instead posted (yet another) manifesto.

The interesting thing is this:

If it's not him: This is a really well-written troll post. It hit all the classic high points about counceling and how his GPA is too low for med school, but that's okay because he doesn't want to be a doctor anyway. It's a little tame compared to the old "Medicine is stupid" posts, but still in the same theme.

If it is him: Then he's been lurking, tossing up occassional posts for a whole two months without revealing himself. Why now? He could have gone on without ever mentioning the whole genetic counceling thing again, but instead posted (yet another) manifesto.

I made this posting because I wanted to get insight from those who visit this message board. I could have spent years and years on this message board never giving my identity away again. But I feel it is more important to get insight from others and give my identity away.

This thread is not about the importance or role of genetic counseling at all. This thread is about what career is best suited for my interests in genetics.

I made this posting because I wanted to get insight from those who visit this message board. I could have spent years and years on this message board never giving my identity away again. But I feel it is more important to get insight from others and give my identity away.
Dude, methinks you should leave behind the field of Genetics... and go into Psych! :idea:

This thread is not about the importance or role of genetic counseling at all. This thread is about what career is best suited for my interests in genetics.

Fair enough, I'm not trying to rip on you (though I'm sure eventually it will come to that, since it usually does). I'm just excited to see this thread come up again. It's like curling up with an old familiar blanket . . . :D

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I don’t expect anyone to solve anything for me, but to give some feedback on my choices.

So here is the story. I became interested in genetics when I was working as a Transporter at a hospital from 2002-2005.

When I was working at the hospital as a transporter, I really enjoyed working in the hospital setting. When I was a transporter, I had the opportunity of working with children and adults who had genetic disorders (not knowing the exact genetic disorder because of confidentiality reasons). When I first started the transporter job, I knew very little about genetics. Since I was curious to learn about how the patients developed genetic conditions, I spent some time at the local medical library learning about genetic disorders/syndromes and became absolutely fascinated with the developmental mechanisms of genetic disorders. Therefore, I had spent the next couple of years exploring what career opportunities were available for a person to work with genetic disorders and with people who have genetic disorders.

After taking some time to explore what career opportunities were available in the field of genetics, I started to do some shadowing with clinical geneticists and genetic counselors. I really enjoyed the shadowing experience that I had with the genetic counselors and clinical geneticists. Since I was also interested in doing genetic research on genetic disorders, I did a summer internship working on age-related macular degeneration. The internship was a great experience and I learned a lot about how scientific research is done in the laboratory setting. What I disliked the most about a career as a genetic researcher is working at the lab bench all day and not having the opportunity of working with people on a daily basis…I realized then I wanted a career that deals with biosocialpsychological and policy issues in genetics.

I have explicitly listed what my interests are and what my career goals are on many blogs and websites. I keep saying I want a career in genetic counseling but everyone keeps telling to be a clinical geneticist. Yes I would love to diagnose patients and provide management options for the patients, but I also want to explain to people how genetic disorders develop. I have decided not to get a DO or MD degree because the only reason I would get that degree for is for diagnosing patients. I also want to do some policy work in the field of genetics. I would like the opportunity to develop legislation in the field of genetics. So everyone keeps telling me that I need to choose what career I want, but I am having a really hard time deciding on exactly what career I should go into because everyone keeps telling me to get an MD. The thing is, I’m not a competitive applicant for medical school. My GPA is only around the 2.9 to 3.0 range. I know I would have a really hard time getting into a medical school, so that I why I don’t bother giving it any thought. I just want to get done with undergraduate school.

I have been looking into a PhD in Public Health genetics, but then I miss out on the opportunity to explain to people how disorders develop. I would love to teach a medical ethics course to undergraduate students. So I know I at least need a masters degree to teach at a university. I also looked into a masters degree in Health Advocacy, but I have no idea what type of job I could get in that area. I’m really passionate about getting genetics into primary care. I know that I will have a hard time getting into any program because of my grades, but I won’t have any trouble showing my comparison and love for the field of genetics. I love learning about the etiology of genetic disorders, I love explaining to people how disorders develop, I love talking about genetic issues, and I want a career in genetics. So whenever I explain what my interests, I keep getting told to get a medical degree. I just don’t think getting a medical degree is worth it just to have the chance to diagnose patients, which is not the highest of my interests anyways.

I would rather work with a patient that has already been diagnosed with a genetic condition and do the rest of the work (explaining the condition, ordering tests, and so forth).

What I have been thinking of doing is getting a masters in genetic counseling and and do family histories, and explain the condition to patients that have a genetic disorder and so forth.

I just don’t know what to do because of what everyone keeps telling me.

This is what I want to do no matter what career I chose:
- teach a bioethics course, or medical ethics course at a university
- explain genetic conditions to patients
- develop legislation in the field of genetics
- order genetic tests and do family histories
- being a consultant for diagnosing a patient and what course of management should be taken
- possibly do some basic science research
- get genetics into primary care

Should I work hard at try to get into a DO school? Should I get a public policy degree? Should I get a PhD in Public Health Genetics? Should I get a genetic counseling degree? Should I become a PA?

If I have to keep taking classes at the undergraduate level I’m going to get into some major dept that I will not be able to pay off when a little job that doesn’t have enough of salary to pay back the dept.

The courses that I have liked the most in college include: genetics, heredity, embryology, and biochemistry.

Please help!
You just don't learn do you? Tired, get me my bat......

You just don't learn do you? Tired, get me my bat......

I made this post looking to see what career advice people could give. I could use a bat and hit myself in the head and kill myself if you wanted me to. I know that is how you feel about me anyways. I might seem like a complete idiot to you, but I'm seriously sincere in asking to see what others think would be good options, or some options to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics said:
I could use a bat and hit myself in the head and kill myself if you wanted me to.

It sounds like the best career advice you could receive comes from yourself. :laugh:

I could use a bat and hit myself in the head and kill myself if you wanted me to.

While I can understand the sentiment of not knowing what you want to do with your career, and the impulse to ask advice from total strangers (although, I guess in your case, not total strangers), I feel like maybe the above statement is a little too . . . compliant, I guess? I mean, maybe this is just me, but any decision you make, regardless of the reasons behind it and their validity or lack thereof, has to be your own. No one else can make the choice for you. Though some people may have valuable insight into what decision you should make, I'm not one of those. I will say, however, that a fatal bat to the head might get in the way of whatever academic/professional goal you hope to pursue.

While I can understand the sentiment of not knowing what you want to do with your career, and the impulse to ask advice from total strangers (although, I guess in your case, not total strangers), I feel like maybe the above statement is a little too . . . compliant, I guess? I mean, maybe this is just me, but any decision you make, regardless of the reasons behind it and their validity or lack thereof, has to be your own. No one else can make the choice for you. Though some people may have valuable insight into what decision you should make, I'm not one of those. I will say, however, that a fatal bat to the head might get in the way of whatever academic/professional goal you hope to pursue.
He's a troll. Just FYI.

I made this post looking to see what career advice people could give. I could use a bat and hit myself in the head and kill myself if you wanted me to. I know that is how you feel about me anyways. I might seem like a complete idiot to you, but I'm seriously sincere in asking to see what others think would be good options, or some options to look into.

Why ask these questions in pre-allo, arguably the least qualified people on the planet to answer your question? Why not non-trad (maybe people there have worked in the field), or General Residency, or (here's a thought) the Genetics forum?

Also, this seems to be the 18th time you've put up a question like this. If you're serious, why the constant question? And have you done anything in the interim between these posts to advance yourself?

Why ask these questions in pre-allo, arguably the least qualified people on the planet to answer your question? Why not non-trad (maybe people there have worked in the field), or General Residency, or (here's a thought) the Genetics forum?

Also, this seems to be the 18th time you've put up a question like this. If you're serious, why the constant question? And have you done anything in the interim between these posts to advance yourself?

I think the genetics forum died....
And Drop kicks murphy you seriously seem to have some mental issues with genetics... Go kick yourself in the balls...oh wait forgot you dont have any;)

Oh lord...the moment I saw the word genetic I knew that soon we'd be :beat:

I guess the only thing entertaining is that I never realized he used to be a transporter (although I'm not as familiar with all his posts as I'm sure DKM and Tired are, lol).

I think the genetics forum died....
And Drop kicks murphy you seriously seem to have some mental issues with genetics... Go kick yourself in the balls...oh wait forgot you dont have any;)

This post brought to you by . . . <wait for it> . . . genticclone

Geez. :barf:

You know, I always suspect trolls like these to actually be gunner premed students.

Seriously, I know someone who is doing a MA in genetic counselling - she's a great person with a very welcoming personality.

Otherwise I may have thought everyone in genetic counselling was such a shatfilled donkey-hole.
:smuggrin: Why would anyone tarnish their own field's reputation like that?

Wow, I'm just impressed you all actually read that. Holy ****.

Just because a person wants to be an allied health care professional and not a doctor does not mean they are less of a person then are the people who do become doctors. Some people find a certain allied health care career more interesting then being a doctor (i.e., Genetics wanting to be a genetic counselor).

I know of one of my old high school mates who had a higher GPA and better EC’s that became a speech pathologists then a person I went to high school with that had a lower GPA and less of EC’s that is now in residency. Guess what? The person who became a speech pathologists is a hell of a lot more happy with their life then is the resident.

How can you not love this guy?

/QUOTE]

Just FYI, Public 5656. Some people on the SDN website are also frequenters of the genetic counselor site on Facebook, which is NOT an anonymous website. I would strongly suggest watching what you post on that website, as many people on there are current GC students, who obviously have direct interaction with program directors. Programs do take into account the opinions of their students, when selecting a class.