I need help keeping faith about pt here is my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so this cycle was my 2nd time applying. I got rejected from 4 of my 5 schools and got an interview with the 5th. I was wait listed for the school I had an interview with. I called to see if they have ranked the list yet was told no by the admissions director. He looked up my app to see how I could improve, he was shocked I wasnt accepted and told me he couldn't give me anything to improve on because my app was "phenomenal" and my interview score was high.

I basically have done everything ive researched with a professor at UIC in physical therapy for a summer. I researched with a pt at my institution. I retook classes. I need to retake the GRE but this cycle I applied to schools that did not require it to be strategic. Test taking is not a strength my first gre was terrible.

I have a cum 3.5 GPA I know its not spectacular but I have other things like school involvement, research, observation too. I am not sure what else to do.

I applied for a Masters in higher ed program at my institution, was accepted but for some reason im not excited my heart is with PT. NOTHING makes me happy like pt does. I wanted to give up, but I want to keep fighting its just so hard . My whole being is dedicated to this profession but no school sees that.....

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. This is my second cycle applying and I've been rejected by 4 schools, wait listed by one, and still waiting to hear something from one more. Don't give up! One thing I've come to learn through this process is that delayed doesn't necessarily mean denied. God just may be saying not yet. I'm sure everyone on this forum (especially reapplicants) would agree that the waiting sucks and the process is frustrating and exhausting. Whenever you do get accepted into a program though, you're going to appreciate the opportunity so much more because you had to go through hell to get there. Keep fighting :)

Reactions: 1 users
Okay so this cycle was my 2nd time applying. I got rejected from 4 of my 5 schools and got an interview with the 5th. I was wait listed for the school I had an interview with. I called to see if they have ranked the list yet was told no by the admissions director. He looked up my app to see how I could improve, he was shocked I wasnt accepted and told me he couldn't give me anything to improve on because my app was "phenomenal" and my interview score was high.

I basically have done everything ive researched with a professor at UIC in physical therapy for a summer. I researched with a pt at my institution. I retook classes. I need to retake the GRE but this cycle I applied to schools that did not require it to be strategic. Test taking is not a strength my first gre was terrible.

I have a cum 3.5 GPA I know its not spectacular but I have other things like school involvement, research, observation too. I am not sure what else to do.

I applied for a Masters in higher ed program at my institution, was accepted but for some reason im not excited my heart is with PT. NOTHING makes me happy like pt does. I wanted to give up, but I want to keep fighting its just so hard . My whole being is dedicated to this profession but no school sees that.....

I know how you feel.

This is my second attempt as well. There's not much to say other than keep on trucking. There are a lot of people applying to schools. There are bound to be a couple of qualified applicants who don't get in anywhere every year. Of most programs I've applied to, there were usually 800+ applicants for the 40-50 seats. That's a lot of broken hearts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree! There just are not enough spots for qualified applicants. I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.

Okay so this cycle was my 2nd time applying. I got rejected from 4 of my 5 schools and got an interview with the 5th. I was wait listed for the school I had an interview with. I called to see if they have ranked the list yet was told no by the admissions director. He looked up my app to see.....

That's why PT school is much more competitive and definitely more satisfying once you've been accepted after all this work.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time/money on a Masters if you're ultimate goal is PT. Your GPA and EC's seem very good, at least better than mine and I was able to get into 1/8 schools I applied to.

Maybe your 3.5 isn't "high" enough since you are only applying to schools that do not require the GRE and take more into account your GPA to determine you academically. My advice is, don't be lazy and use one or two months to study/take the GRE. If this is your second time applying, I imagine you 2 years out of graduation so how many times have you actually taken the GRE?

I am having the same issue. I applied to 5 schools 2 said no right off the bat 3 gave me interview opportunities then 2 said no after the interview and the last 1 wait listed me but put me in the back of the list. I feel that I am a worthy competitive candidate and it is extremely frustrating not getting accepted.

@StudentRehab I was offered an assistanship for my masters with a full tuition waiver. I graduated this past December. Ive taken the GRE once

I know pt is what I want, its just hard to reapply a third time and put hope to get in. The process is so expensive, and asking for recs and getting hours is so hard to do with a full time job. But all that aside I know I want it ...gosh you guys are so motivating thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

What is your prereq gpa?

Are there any classes you can retake? My cum. gpa is 3.5, but my prereq is 3.9. I have been told that grades are everything now by a department head & threads about other chats with other department heads. I was told Chapman university in SOCAL didn't look at anyone below a 3.5. I have been accepted to 4 schools and had 4 interview invites. I chose CSU Long Beach. What schools are you applying to? I applied to only California schools. The schools in California are claiming to receive 1000-2000 applicants a cycle. Are the schools you applied to more competitive?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm at a cumulative 3.5 with sciences at a 3.7 and last 60 hours of my undergrad at a 3.7. I'm a tech at an outpatient clinic for almost one and half years now, which is over 2000 hours of work experience. It's tough getting into school.

I applied to schools in Florida. I think I might reach outside the state to see if I have better luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you gotten interviews? That's usually a big factor in determining acceptances.

@DSPDPT Yes I did. The school admissions director was shocked I wasnt accepted

I am 75% sure that I am going to reapply. I have an interview for a tech position in a pediatric clinic so I am very excited!

@DSPDPT Yes I did. The school admissions director was shocked I wasnt accepted
That's very strange, who knows why you didn't get in. You seem to be a great candidate. Good luck on your interview!

@ptlover
I was in the same boat as you last year. Never got off the waitlist and was having some difficulty coming to terms with reapplying and everything. Let's be serious three years is a long time in terms of trying to get into school. I reapplied for the third time this year after retaking a class, one new LOR, better essays, additional hours as a PT aide, and a lot of moral support. I was ultimately accepted to two programs, one being my top choice. Please don't give up and keep your head in the game- I know it sucks but your persistence and passion will show!

Im sorry had* an interview, I am wait listed.

@111589 Thank you so much. I guess what it comes down to is following your heart which is what I have to do! Your words are very encouraging they mean a lot

I really think it is a shame that the system of graduate healthcare education has become like this. Someone who wholeheartedly wants to be a member of a profession for honest reasons, has done reasonably well as a student so far and who will be highly likely to succeed in grad school as they are clearly a hard worker essentially has to beg and plead for absolutely anyone to agree to take their money.

When you look at it from a business perspective (especially in terms of private schools charging $40k/year for PT) it's a strange phenomenon. I know class sizes have to be kept below a certain amount, but I just think it's sad that with each passing year simply getting admitted to school becomes more and more and more work for people who already work like crazy. The system seems to be moving away from trying to determine who really wants to be a PT/doctor/dentist or whatever the case may be and moving towards being a giant game of who is the best at one-upping everyone else.

Why is it that some people apply to 5 or 6 schools and get into all of them, and this guy gets into none. Does the difference between multiple acceptances and no acceptances really boil down to the difference between a pre-req GPA of 3.9 vs. 3.3?

@111589 Where did you apply?

I am from NJ so a bunch of schools in-state, NY and PA. For example:Rutgers, Stockton, Hunter,NYU,Arcadia,Seton Hall, LIU, Stony Brook etc.
Going to Rutgers.
How about you?

I am currently a freshman Exercise Science major at Longwood University. I am hoping to apply to physical therapy grad school after I graduate. An assignment I have for my Intro class is to acquire the resume of a student currently in PT grad school. I want to know what it takes to get in to a graduate program. I would greatly appreciate if someone would send me their resume to my E-mail, [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

I really think it is a shame that the system of graduate healthcare education has become like this. Someone who wholeheartedly wants to be a member of a profession for honest reasons, has done reasonably well as a student so far and who will be highly likely to succeed in grad school as they are clearly a hard worker essentially has to beg and plead for absolutely anyone to agree to take their money.

When you look at it from a business perspective (especially in terms of private schools charging $40k/year for PT) it's a strange phenomenon. I know class sizes have to be kept below a certain amount, but I just think it's sad that with each passing year simply getting admitted to school becomes more and more and more work for people who already work like crazy. The system seems to be moving away from trying to determine who really wants to be a PT/doctor/dentist or whatever the case may be and moving towards being a giant game of who is the best at one-upping everyone else.

Completely agreed, it's all about the $$$ and stats these days. Class sizes use to be 35 and below back in the day, and now we see classes exceeding 80+ students. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, but as class sizes increase so does tuition. A school wants good "stats" and would rather take a risk on someone with a 3.9 gpa than someone with a 3.3. Common sense, those of us that didn't do too hot in undergrad just have to work harder to make ourselves seem like acceptable candidates.

Not just tuition, but there's other fees. I just found out we need to buy this $400 "DPT starter kit" for school that come with equip and a specialized tote bag. Don't see how our tuition doesn't cover that...

I am currently a freshman Exercise Science major at Longwood University. I am hoping to apply to physical therapy grad school after I graduate. An assignment I have for my Intro class is to acquire the resume of a student currently in PT grad school. I want to know what it takes to get in to a graduate program. I would greatly appreciate if someone would send me their resume to my E-mail, [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

Message me if you'd like