I need help on a verbal passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chargers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a new member but a long time reader. I wanna post a verbal question. It's kinda long, but I know you guys are smart mcaters. It probably takes you like 3 min. I was doing this passage and was really pissed off by some of the key answers. They don't seem to make any sense nor self-proven. Ok I can't copy and paste the passage on here so I have to describe it to you then.

The passage is from Kaplan verbal test #9 passage II. It talks about the free speech and the 3 justifications for free speech. They are classical model, fortress model and self-restraint model. Does anyone know about this passage? If you do please help me on questions 9 and 11. The key answers really bother me:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am a new member but a long time reader. I wanna post a verbal question. It's kinda long, but I know you guys are smart mcaters. It probably takes you like 3 min. I was doing this passage and was really pissed off by some of the key answers. They don't seem to make any sense nor self-proven. Ok I can't copy and paste the passage on here so I have to describe it to you then.

The passage is from Kaplan verbal test #9 passage II. It talks about the free speech and the 3 justifications for free speech. They are classical model, fortress model and self-restraint model. Does anyone know about this passage? If you do please help me on questions 9 and 11. The key answers really bother me:scared:

Hard to address what bothers you about the answers without a more precise description of "what it is" about the answers that bothers you. Nonetheless, I'll try briefly:

For #9, hopefully you get why the classical and fortress models hold speech as a fundamental value. In the first paragraph, it explains pretty explicitly that this is NOT the case for the self-restraint model:

"...self-restraint model inverts the relationship between speech and tolerance..." and "...self-restraint model, however, often subordinates the value of free speech to that of tolerance."

For #11, the correct answer is an assumption that predicates statements that are also explicitly made in the passage, this time paragraph three:

"...even extremist values cannot be withheld..." and "...the belief that speech itself is valuable, this theory ascribes positive value to a very broad range of speech..."

Good Luck!:luck:

-MSTPbound

Hard to address what bothers you about the answers without a more explicit description of "what it is" about the answers that bothers you. Nonetheless, I'll try briefly:

For #9, hopefully you get why the classical and fortress models hold speech as a fundamental value. In the first paragraph, it explains pretty explicity that this is NOT the case for the self-restraint model:

"...self-restraint model inverts the relationship between speech and tolerance..." and "...self-restraint model, however, often subordinates the value of free speech to that of tolerance."

For #11, the correct answer is an assumption that predicates statements that are also explicitly made in the passage, this time paragraph three:

"...even extremist values cannot be withheld..." and "...the belief that speech itself is valuable, this theory ascribes positive value to a very broad range of speech..."

Good Luck!:luck:

-MSTPbound

:eek:I can't believe that someone is responding to my silly thread. Thank you so much. Let me elaborate more about my question.

For #11 The question asks:
"A law prohibiting any speech that stigmatizes or victimizes an individual or group on the basis of race, religion, or sex could be effectively criticized using the :
I. classical model.
II. fortress model
III. self-restraint model "

I picked B because only the fortress model tolerates that kind of speech. The key answer is D which includes self-restraint model. This is what makes me pissed off, because nowhere in the passage the author says anything about the self-restraint model tolerates extremist speech explicitly or unexplicitly. The last paragraph only mentions about how self-restraint model value self-control, self-discipline, and self-restraint more important than (extremist) speech. The explanation just says that it was an unexpected twist to the argument without any real evidence to prove it.

For #9 nevermind I got it now. I misread 1 letter at line 55: traditional models. That's why I was having a hard time accepting C as the correct answer. What do you think about #11. Am I missing anything from that last paragraph???

:eek:I can't believe that someone is responding to my silly thread. Thank you so much. Let me elaborate more about my question.

For #11 The question asks:
"A law prohibiting any speech that stigmatizes or victimizes an individual or group on the basis of race, religion, or sex could be effectively criticized using the :
I. classical model.
II. fortress model
III. self-restraint model "

I picked B because only the fortress model tolerates that kind of speech. The key answer is D which includes self-restraint model. This is what makes me pissed off, because nowhere in the passage the author says anything about the self-restraint model tolerates extremist speech explicitly or unexplicitly. The last paragraph only mentions about how self-restraint model value self-control, self-discipline, and self-restraint more important than (extremist) speech. The explanation just says that it was an unexpected twist to the argument without any real evidence to prove it.

For #9 nevermind I got it now. I misread 1 letter at line 55: traditional models. That's why I was having a hard time accepting C as the correct answer. What do you think about #11. Am I missing anything from that last paragraph???

Oh that's interesting... First of all, I was looking at the online version, not the book; so actually, the question you are referring to would correspond to question #10 online, not #11, so you can disregard my previous response about it.

Secondly, according to the online version, you are correct... the answer should be "the fortress model only"... and interestingly enough, that would be choice D for the online version. Kaplan must have had a little mix-up in printing.;)

It happens.

Cheers,

MSTPbound

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that's interesting... First of all, I was looking at the online version, not the book; so actually, the question you are referring to would correspond to question #10 online, not #11, so you can disregard my previous response about it.

Secondly, according to the online version, you are correct... the answer should be "the fortress model only"... and interestingly enough, that would be choice D for the online version. Kaplan must have had a little mix-up in printing.;)

It happens.

Cheers,

MSTPbound
Are you sure? That's weird because that passage is on the online version of my Kaplan stuff. It's #11. Could you look over the explanation for the answer they gave on your stuff? Did they mention why the self-restraint model is not considered???
In my material, they did offer some explanation for picking fortress model AND self-restraint model with no evidence accompanied. They just say it was a twist to the argument.

Are you sure? That's weird because that passage is on the online version of my Kaplan stuff. It's #11. Could you look over the explanation for the answer they gave on your stuff? Did they mention why the self-restraint model is not considered???
In my material, they did offer some explanation for picking fortress model AND self-restraint model with no evidence accompanied. They just say it was a twist to the argument.

Here is their explanation verbatim (unless there's a typo, courtesy of yours truly):

"...The question is trickily worded; take time to decipher it. What model would criticize laws prohibiting intolerant speech? In other words, what model would tolerate intolerant speech? While the classical model only requires tolerance for political speech and the self-restraint model actually subordinates free speech to tolerance, the fortress model protects all speech, and (D) is therefore the correct answer."

Sorry... I can't keep doing this... it's bringing back painful memories of studying.;)

J/K

Hope that helps.

-MSTPbound

Here is their explanation verbatim (unless there's a typo, courtesy of yours truly):

"...The question is trickily worded; take time to decipher it. What model would criticize laws prohibiting intolerant speech? In other words, what model would tolerate intolerant speech? While the classical model only requires tolerance for political speech and the self-restraint model actually subordinates free speech to tolerance, the fortress model protects all speech, and (D) is therefore the correct answer."

Sorry... I can't keep doing this... it's bringing back painful memories of studying.;)

J/K

Hope that helps.

-MSTPbound

Thanks for your help. That makes a lot of sense, and Kaplan really screwed up with their key answer. yaay Me 1 : kaplan 0:cool: