Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I need help. Please?????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by brookeJ, Jun 14, 2000.

1. brookeJ

brookeJ New Member

X

#1 brookeJ, Jun 14, 2000
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

I would strongly advise you to look into a post-bac program.Most programs connected with a med school will offer interviews to their top graduates.

Good luck!

4. brookeJ

brookeJ New Member

i thought post-bac programs only accepted students with competitive GPAs ( i have considered these programs, but did not think i would be considered). Can you name any good programs in the entire US that would spend time looking at my application?

5. zolie

zolie Member

Brooke,
    I have a similar academic history. Have posted this stuff before, but let me just say it will be a long road and it can be done if you commit yourself to it. All the wishing or talking in the world isn't going to raise your GPA... only hard work.

I might suggest taking some time off away from school and taking a step back for awhile. I took about 5 years off, and did a masters and did post-bacc. I'll be entering in the fall at the age of 28.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to help.

6. JANPLME

JANPLME Member

From what I've heard, you don't need an exceptional GPA to get into a post bac program, and I would definitely suggest that as the way to go. In fact, I heard of a program (I think either at Wake Forest or Georgetown, but don't quote me on that), where you have to have attempted and failed to get into med school before you attempt to apply to their program. I would say do the post bac, apply, and if you don't get in, think about taking time off. Good luck.

7. arj

arj New Member

Brooke,

Check out Syracuse's listing of post-bacc programs:
    http://www-hl.syr.edu/hpap/listpb.htm#ToC.

In addition to summaries about many programs throughout the country, it provides a link to AAMC's list of colleges offering post-bacc premed programs.

Good luck.

8. brookeJ

brookeJ New Member

X

#7 brookeJ, Jun 15, 2000
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  9. EmB

EmB Junior Member

I think there are many post-bac programs that do not have GPA requirements. The point, after all, is to help you meet requirements and boost your GPA. I did my postbac courses through Harvard's program, and I know they have open enrollment and VERY reasonable tuition. If you jump through a certain number of hoops for them, they will give you a certificate in Health Careers, but you can also just take courses and skip the certificate. I thought their courses were great, and I'd definitely recommend seeking advice from one of the program directors. Their contact info is at http://www.dce.harvard.edu/extension/2000-01/programs/health/default.html

10. arj

arj New Member

EmB,

I'm interested in finding out your experiences at Harvard Extension. It is one of the programs I'm looking into and although I've read the catalog thoroughly, I'd like to hear what the classes, profs, environment, etc. are like. Also, any recommendations on decent housing (apartments) in the vicinity would be much appreciated. If you can, drop me an email at [email protected] Thanks in advance!