I need help......please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for IM this year. I passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76, and passed step ll with 75. I have great letters, publication and A's in all rotations and good grades in Med school. Oh i am an FMG. I applied to 70 Im programs and not a single interview. i got 12 rejections............what are my chances...........I really want to do IM...............
Thanks.......

Members don't see this ad.

sophee said:
I am applying for IM this year. I passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76, and passed step ll with 75. I have great letters, publication and A's in all rotations and good grades in Med school. Oh i am an FMG. I applied to 70 Im programs and not a single interview. i got 12 rejections............what are my chances...........I really want to do IM...............
Thanks.......
good luck and wish you the best

Sorry to hear about your predicament Sophee. 70 programs should be enough, considering your board scores. I think the questions you need to ask, are 1) did you apply to a great variety of programs (reach, average, back-ups?). 2) has your advisor helped you out or provided any assistance? 3) how long ago did you submit your application? 4) based on your application and scores, how have previous applicants from your school fared?
5) have you done any away electives in the programs you're applying in?

I'm sure some FMS/FMGs who surf this site will be able to provide better assistance.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
sophee said:
Thanks.......

See this list of residency positions that went unfilled in the 2005 match:

http://www.scutwork.com/other/match2005/UnfilledProg2005.pdf

quidnunc said:
Sorry to hear about your predicament Sophee. 70 programs should be enough, considering your board scores. I think the questions you need to ask, are 1) did you apply to a great variety of programs (reach, average, back-ups?). 2) has your advisor helped you out or provided any assistance? 3) how long ago did you submit your application? 4) based on your application and scores, how have previous applicants from your school fared?
5) have you done any away electives in the programs you're applying in?

I'm sure some FMS/FMGs who surf this site will be able to provide better assistance.

Good luck.
Thanks guys,
I got two interviews so far and the program director from one of the programs mentioned that i am a good candidate, and give me his card. Should i have high hopes or they just say that to every one...

I'm an IMG with board scores on both exams in the mid 80's first attempt. I've gotten a ton of interviews. But i applied smart. I knew places I wasn't going to stand a chance, so why apply, most of my interviews are community hospitals, but several are University and since I'm pursuing a hospitalist track, I could care less about fellowship, so community hosp can be a great choice for me. Look midwest and south and NYC, these are good places for IMG's. PM if you have any questions, see ya :)

sophee said:
Thanks guys,
I got two interviews so far and the program director from one of the programs mentioned that i am a good candidate, and give me his card. Should i have high hopes or they just say that to every one...

Let me tell you a story, an Austrian guy in the mid 16th century, or was it 18th century...I forget but at this point is really irrelevant....

An Austrian guy in his 30s, you could say non-traditional applicant, decided to apply to the most prestigious Austrian University of his time, I'm assuming it was called University of Austria (but I digress)...

He wanted to pursue his life passion of studying biology, yet when he took the standardized exam, he failed it on his first attempt, and took it a second time, and failed it again...

As such, he was rejected by this prestigious school, desperate, and desolate...he decided instead to devote his life to the monastery. He decided to instead use his energy and become a celibate monk...

Now, I'm not saying you should become a nun, so please bare with me to the end of the story..

Well this guy, realized, he still loved science passionately. Yes, being celibate for the rest of your life, had its privelages like no STDs, but he still felt empty inside? that his true inner calling, was never answered, that his true dreams and aspirations were side tracked, because of a simple entrance exam....

but alas, this is where the story is interesting, he didnt not quit, he pursued his passion with a fervor, without an Austrian diploma, decided to pursue botany....

and he was known in all history books, as teh father of Modern Genetics....say hello to Gregor Mendel....a monk who failed his exams, not once but twice...

so moral of the story, its the people that make up the institution, not the institution that make up the people....

have faith in yourself, and in the mean time, check out the latest nun outfit....I heard black is back in style... ;)

InternalWhizzzz said:
Let me tell you a story, an Austrian guy in the mid 16th century, or was it 18th century...I forget but at this point is really irrelevant....

An Austrian guy in his 30s, you could say non-traditional applicant, decided to apply to the most prestigious Austrian University of his time, I'm assuming it was called University of Austria (but I digress)...

He wanted to pursue his life passion of studying biology, yet when he took the standardized exam, he failed it on his first attempt, and took it a second time, and failed it again...

As such, he was rejected by this prestigious school, desperate, and desolate...he decided instead to devote his life to the monastery. He decided to instead use his energy and become a celibate monk...

Now, I'm not saying you should become a nun, so please bare with me to the end of the story..

Well this guy, realized, he still loved science passionately. Yes, being celibate for the rest of your life, had its privelages like no STDs, but he still felt empty inside? that his true inner calling, was never answered, that his true dreams and aspirations were side tracked, because of a simple entrance exam....

but alas, this is where the story is interesting, he didnt not quit, he pursued his passion with a fervor, without an Austrian diploma, decided to pursue botany....

and he was known in all history books, as teh father of Modern Genetics....say hello to Gregor Mendel....a monk who failed his exams, not once but twice...

so moral of the story, its the people that make up the institution, not the institution that make up the people....

have faith in yourself, and in the mean time, check out the latest nun outfit....I heard black is back in style... ;)
thanks for the great story, i think im becoming a nun already with this interview process.
Another qestion, I have great university based FP interviews, so FP university based or community IM, but my heart is set for IM, i don't know what to do.

To get IM interviews as an IMG with borderline scores, it is very important to use contacts. Do you know people in IM programs that have taken IMGs in the past? Call them. If not, make some friends. Many of these programs take applicants based on word of mouth recommendations.

I hope you have your interviews. Did you try contacting the programs to show that you are still interested? This is the time that people are cancelling interview spots. Good luck!

Tigerz_Fan said:
I hope you have your interviews. Did you try contacting the programs to show that you are still interested? This is the time that people are cancelling interview spots. Good luck!

Thanks, I have two IM interviews and many FP. I am still interested in IM. My first interview went well. I have the next one in Jan. I can't wait to get out of this process. Thank you again.

sophee said:
Thanks, I have two IM interviews and many FP. I am still interested in IM. My first interview went well. I have the next one in Jan. I can't wait to get out of this process. Thank you again.

I'm ready for the process to be over, too. I am an IMG, also. It's nice to know how the system works. :)

Tigerz_Fan said:
I'm ready for the process to be over, too. I am an IMG, also. It's nice to know how the system works. :)
Hi Tigerz Fan
Thank God, i got a pre match offer. After two months of searching and applying, I almost give up in IM, i never thought i would make it, and i still can't beleive it, but i guess personality does matters or i got lucky.
Good luck with your search. Let me know how things are going.