Aug 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I attached an image for the nmr of 2-pentanone and I do not understand why there is a sextet. On my other attached image, Hc would be split by both Hd and Hb. I don't understand why this would be a sextet if it is being split by two unequivalent hydrogen groups within a 3 sigma bond distance. On the NMR, for Hc why do we not see a triplet of quartets, or a quartet of triplets? I'm probably missing something here. Some help would be very appreciated! Thank you

Attachments

SpaceBuff12

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2013
Status
Medical Student
The Hc hydrogens have 5 neighboring hydrogens on adjacent carbons. Using the n+1 rule you would expected a signal with six peaks.

Edit: For clarification, the fact that Hb and Hd hydrogen atoms are non-equivalent is irrelevant for the MCAT.

Last edited:
OP
A
Aug 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
So when would non-equivalent hydrogens become relvant in terms of complex splitting patterns?

chemtopper

online organic/general chem/MCAT/DAT tutor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Global
www.chemtopper.com
Status
Academic Administration
The Hc hydrogens have 5 neighboring hydrogens on adjacent carbons. Using the n+1 rule you would expected a signal with six peaks.

Edit: For clarification, the fact that Hb and Hd hydrogen atoms are non-equivalent is irrelevant for the MCAT.
Yes right it is Hc which splits with n+1 rule and MCAT exam will not test you for complex splitting.