I need help with an NMR question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airstrikee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attached an image for the nmr of 2-pentanone and I do not understand why there is a sextet. On my other attached image, Hc would be split by both Hd and Hb. I don't understand why this would be a sextet if it is being split by two unequivalent hydrogen groups within a 3 sigma bond distance. On the NMR, for Hc why do we not see a triplet of quartets, or a quartet of triplets? I'm probably missing something here. Some help would be very appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• nmr.gif
    nmr.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-pentanone.png
    2-pentanone.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 22
The Hc hydrogens have 5 neighboring hydrogens on adjacent carbons. Using the n+1 rule you would expected a signal with six peaks.

Edit: For clarification, the fact that Hb and Hd hydrogen atoms are non-equivalent is irrelevant for the MCAT.

Last edited:
The Hc hydrogens have 5 neighboring hydrogens on adjacent carbons. Using the n+1 rule you would expected a signal with six peaks.

Edit: For clarification, the fact that Hb and Hd hydrogen atoms are non-equivalent is irrelevant for the MCAT.
Yes right it is Hc which splits with n+1 rule and MCAT exam will not test you for complex splitting.