I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Preddy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got 10 secondaries in the mail and I don't know what to do. Is there any real chance of getting in this late? My vitals are 3.2 and 8, 9, 12 on the MCAT. If you have any suggestions please write back.

------------------
MOOSE

Members don't see this ad.

Jim,

It's quite late in the game to be receiving secondaries. However, it's not unheard of to get an acceptance very late in the game. I would suggest that you do some research on these 10 schools to find out if their classes are full. For those that are full, I wouldn't bother to send out the secondaries because if they're full, they've probably got a long waitlist as well. For the schools whose classes are not full, I would look at the stats of their average accepted applicant and decide from there. Although your MCAT scores are pretty good, your GPA might be a bit of a deterrent to getting accepted. If you decide not to return the secondaries, I would just advise you to have your applications in EARLY for the 2001 application cycle.

GOOD LUCK!!

VAD

Send them all in. I got in with VERY similar stats and talked to MANY people that got in in APRIL and MAY!

Good Luck,

Bryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Bryan,

Did you get in with similar stats this late in the application process? I don't think the stats are bad, but this late in the application cycle it may be much harder to get in than it would be early in the application cycle. But Jim, if you've got the time and the money, that's basically all you have to lose.

My $.02.

VAD

Moose,

I agree w/VAD that you should call up those schools, and ask adcom how full their classes are. Also ask them about how their waiting lists work. i.e. How many spots are available on their waiting lists? How many people on average do get off the waitlist? Try to gauge where you stand, as far as your stats are concerned, for each of those schools. I think right now TIME is probably the biggest factor.

Although it's late in the game, you still have a chance. If you have the $$$ and time, send all of them in. If not, be more choosy, and apply to the ones you think will give you a better chance of acceptance.

I think for Western U this year, they have moved up their interviewing schedule. So they might stop interviewing applicants by Feb.

Good luck,

------------------
DJ
WU/COMP Class of 2004!

I got my acceptances (KCOM and Des Moines) this month. I applied to 3 and got into 2 this late in the cycle. The rumor that the april MCAT gives you a better chance vs. the Aug. seems to just be a rumor.
I really haven't seen any reason to not apply this late. I herard over and over that you have a much better shot if you apply early. I'm not saying this isn't true, but, schools are still accepting people and you might miss a great oppurtunity to be a physician if you listen to too many naysayers.

APPLY NOW, TO EVERYWHERE YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO!

Hope to see you this fall,
Good Luck,

Bryan

Pikeville interviews up until late May/early June, so I think you still got a shot if you want to practice in primary care in a medically underserved area!