I need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packers800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a freshman in cc in Texas and I'm thinking about going into medical school, so far my GPA is only 2.8, I know it's pretty bad for my first year although since I'm just getting started (Ive only taken 3 classes total) there's plenty of time for me to bring it up. Plus I pretty much slacked off during high school and left with a 2.2 GPA. My question is WHAT SHOULD I MAJOR IN? I know that you have to knock out all the pre med courses, get a high gpa, mcat, volunteer work, etc etc...but this is something I am seriously considering doing, it's one of the only things that really interests me and I know I can do it if I just try. I just want to get off to a strong start my sophomore year like a 3.5 GPA at the very least.

I haven't done any volunteer work, community service, nothing since I'm pretty much brand new in college and since Ive only been seriously thinking about doing this for about 5 days now.

Any Advice or help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also I got a C in PSY 101, should I re-take this course to raise my GPA? or leave it as is.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a freshman in cc in Texas and I'm thinking about going into medical school, so far my GPA is only 2.8, I know it's pretty bad for my first year although since I'm just getting started (Ive only taken 3 classes total) there's plenty of time for me to bring it up. Plus I pretty much slacked off during high school and left with a 2.2 GPA. My question is WHAT SHOULD I MAJOR IN? I know that you have to knock out all the pre med courses, get a high gpa, mcat, volunteer work, etc etc...but this is something I am seriously considering doing, it's one of the only things that really interests me and I know I can do it if I just try. I just want to get off to a strong start my sophomore year like a 3.5 GPA at the very least.

I haven't done any volunteer work, community service, nothing since I'm pretty much brand new in college and since Ive only been seriously thinking about doing this for about 5 days now.

Any Advice or help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS, If I were you I would search SDN (using the function at the top left) for a while. It can answer a lot of questions for you. Welcome.

Also I got a C in PSY 101, should I re-take this course to raise my GPA? or leave it as is.

Thanks

Well, first off, nobody on here can tell you what you should major in. Take a few classes and figure out what interests you and go with that. IMO, a good pre-med major is something you like, and something you can get a high GPA in.

You are not off to a great start (but you already know that). The good news is that it is very early in the game for you, and if you do well from now on it should not be a big problem.

Don't retake the C. Just aim for A's and B's from now on, hopefully more of the former.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't freak out. As you said, it's very early on in college and you have plenty of time to make up for a bad first term.

You should major in whatever your are passionate about. It's important to have a strong GPA, but it's also important to learn about something you find interesting. Don't pick a major that will leave you bored out of your mind just because you think it will help your GPA. Also, rest assured that med school's do not discriminate between science and non-science majors.