I need honest Adivce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsb1976

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college senior, and my aacom GPA non science is 3.1 and science is 3.19, my April MCAT scores were VR 7, Bio 8, Phy 8, and a M in the writing sample. I did apply at the begining of July, and I am also studying for the August MCAT. I have done a 2 yr family practice internship, six months of internship in medicine with through school wiht a plastic surgeon and his research team, and 1 quarter research, and six month volunteer at the local Red Cross, where I am in the CPR and First Aid intructor training course, and most recently I was employed as an E.M.T at local Emergency Department.

Q) How will my application be considered with the current scores ?
Q) When should I expect interviews, if any?

Q) will they be before my new MCAT results, or will they delay my interviews until my new MCAT's come in?

Q) How much improvement is necessary on th MCAT, I am not selective about which Osteopathic college I attend and have designated all in application?

Thank You for any and all objective advice and criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I had almost the exact same numbers as you when I applied last year. I had a 3.1 cum and a 3.2 science with a 23 MCAT.

I didn't get a single interview or an acceptance. However, I didn't get my apps out until January, and I only applied to 2 osteopathic schools.

The moral of the story, get your MCAT up to a 27 and you'll be in much better shape.

W.

Originally posted by jsb1976:
I'm a college senior, and my aacom GPA non science is 3.1 and science is 3.19, my April MCAT scores were VR 7, Bio 8, Phy 8, and a M in the writing sample. I did apply at the begining of July, and I am also studying for the August MCAT. I have done a 2 yr family practice internship, six months of internship in medicine with through school wiht a plastic surgeon and his research team, and 1 quarter research, and six month volunteer at the local Red Cross, where I am in the CPR and First Aid intructor training course, and most recently I was employed as an E.M.T at local Emergency Department.

Q) How will my application be considered with the current scores ?
Q) When should I expect interviews, if any?

Q) will they be before my new MCAT results, or will they delay my interviews until my new MCAT's come in?

Q) How much improvement is necessary on th MCAT, I am not selective about which Osteopathic college I attend and have designated all in application?

Thank You for any and all objective advice and criticism.

W.,
What have you done this year to improve your application? I am also applying again this year, and would be interested in hearing about changes you made..or things that you did to make yourself a more competetive candidate.

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to medical school. If you get an interview, Great! If you don't, call the school's admissions office and speak with the admissions officer(s).

Talk to them, visit and tour the campus, and ask specific questions about what you can do to improve your chances of getting and interview and acceptance for the next year.

The admissions officer is there to assist you with getting into school. They will tell you how to get into school, if they feel that you are or can be a competitive applicant.

Good Luck

Hey Yosh,

Its my pleasure to tell you what I've done. First thing's first. I sent emails to all the admission's people to which I would be applying back last spring. I got their opinion's on my current situation. Then I went and met with the Dean of Admission's at my state school and asked him for his advice.

My biggest improvement comes with my MCAT score. Last year I applied with a 23. I had a 10v,8p,5b. This year I have a 10v,8p,9b or a 27. My senior year I took all science classes. All biology courses in fact. I scored well in every one. I graduated with my B.S. I also did a semester's worth of research, and I spent time volunteering at a local elementary school. I want to be a pediatrician, and I thought that the opportunity would really get me some exposure working with children. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I took the advice of the dean's and I applied to several graduate programs. I was accepted to 2 master's and one fully funded Ph.D. program. I declined the Ph.D. and am now pursuing a Master's in Biomedical chemistry while I wait through this application cycle. Medical schools are interested to know what you are doing in "the mean time".

Well that's my story. I'm really hoping I get at least one acceptance this application cycle.

Take care,
W.

Originally posted by yosh:
W.,
What have you done this year to improve your application? I am also applying again this year, and would be interested in hearing about changes you made..or things that you did to make yourself a more competetive candidate.

-J