I need information...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need information, which so far has not been forthcoming from the premed advisor at my school. I honestly think that she may not know what to do with me, or know the answers to my questions. You guys might not, either, but I can hope.

So here goes. I went to a junior college before I transfered to UC Berkeley. I had to go to a JC, because I didn't go to high school. Because I didn't go to HS, I didn't have ANY math or science. I placed into the very first math class, and there learned how to add fractions, find "x", etc. I took math all the way up to calculus at the JC, but didn't find out that I had a learning disablity until trigonometry. The highest grade I earned at the JC in math was a B, and the rest were C's. Same deal for gen chem. As a result, my overall GPA sucks like Hoover. On a brighter note, since I was diagnosed, I took a class that dealt specifically with my disorder, and I haven't made anything less than a B.

It took me four and a half years to transfer, and I still have a year and a half to go. My first question is this. Are all of these basic math units fodder for the AMCAS? If so, even if I graduate from Berkeley making nothing but A's from now on (a real possibility), I'll only have a GPA of 3.1.

Now for my second question. I took my EMT, ERT and phlebotomy classes at the same JC. I aced each of them, even got 100% on the EMT licencing exam. Does this count on the AMCAS? If so, do they count as science classes? Hope so - that's 20 units of A.

And for my last question. I've had one F (egads, I know) the whole time I've been in school, and that was my second semester english class. I'd had unexpected foot surgery three weeks before finals, and wasn't able to write a final paper in time. The professor wouldn't allow me to extend the incomplete (which was a paltry 2 weeks into the next semester) and wouldn't allow me to withdraw. Sad, because I was making an A in that class before. I took it again with a different teacher, and only made a B. So what do I do with that?

I know this is a lot, but any help would be appreciated. This has been a long, hard road for me. I'm 32, I'm considering a post-bacc and DO schools, I'm open to anything. I'm taking my MCAT this summer, and using extended time. Hopefully I'll do well.

Thanks,

Nanon

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Nanon,
If everything you say it's true, then first of all, I will ask more people around the idea of letting adcom know your learning disability as the excuse of the precious bad grades. I have a feeling that it may be a good idea to not let them know, but I am not sure. Second, your application will based significantly heavy on your MCAT score, just like everybody else, but yours may be a bit heavier. Then, explore what other different life experiences you have that can set you apart from the rest of applicants. Finally, I think doing a post-bac is good only if you have not finished the prereq before. and apply to both MD and DO. For DO, not necessarily because they have lower stats, but they show preference to older and supposedly mature applicant.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I would characterize my bad grades as "precious." They aren't a reflection of my ability as a student.

I have asked many people their opinion about the learning disability, and have gotten varied responses. Given the remarkable improvement in my grades, and the fact that I will be taking the MCAT with extra time (the adcoms will know), and the fact that the class that I took will show up on my transcript, it would look weird if I didn't mention it. At least I took control of it, and turned it around.

As to unique life experience, well, lets just say that that's not a problem.

I know that the MCAT will be a big deal, and I'm already preparing for it in August. Wish me luck.

As to post-bac, UCSF has one for students who have already taken their pre-reqs; I'm going with that.

And finally, I am not opposed to going the DO route, although I need to learn more about it. And I don't think they'll find anything amiss with my maturity level.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to my application, and the grade issue?

Thanks,

Nanon

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited 02-11-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Nanon,

From what I've learned it all counts...ANYTHING at a post secondary institution will be calculated in (if you download the on line app, it will tell you this in the instructions). As for the EMT classes it will depend on how they are listed in your schools course catalouge. If you have any questions about classification at all, talk to AMCAS, as misclassifications can slow your application down.

The good thing for you about DO schools is if you take the same class twice, the second grade counts, not the first.

good luck,
MJ

[This message has been edited by mj (edited 02-11-2001).]

sorry, I meant "previous," not "precious"