I need major improvement and some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjkobe140

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of questions about medical school. Right now, I am halfway through my junior year at the Ohio State University. I wanted to go to medical school coming into college, but my grades haven't been nearly up to par as I want. I find college much harder. I had a couple questions about GPA. Do medical schools look at your GPA at your primary college or do they combine your GPA with classes and grades you took at other colleges? Right now, my Ohio State GPA is awful: between a 3.1 and 3.2. But, I have taken 2 summer quarters at Wright State University and I have gotten a 4.00 there with about 25 credit hours. Would medical schools look just at my Ohio State GPA or do they combine my Ohio State and Wright State GPA even though my Wright State classes are transfer credits to Ohio State. My Wright State classes include a lot of science classes as I took 3 physics classes there and an Organic Chemistry class there and got all A's. Also, do medical schools look at the college you went to? I found Wright State to be extremely easy and Ohio State is very difficult for me as Ohio State is known to have pretty difficult science classes. I plan on taking 2 more quarters of classes before I apply and I plan on taking my MCAT's in May. Does anyone have any advice for me and answers to the questions I asked. I had an awful freshman year at Ohio State gradewise, but have shown improvement in my grades since, but I know I have a long way to go.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a lot of questions about medical school. Right now, I am halfway through my junior year at the Ohio State University. I wanted to go to medical school coming into college, but my grades haven't been nearly up to par as I want. I find college much harder. I had a couple questions about GPA. Do medical schools look at your GPA at your primary college or do they combine your GPA with classes and grades you took at other colleges? Right now, my Ohio State GPA is awful: between a 3.1 and 3.2. But, I have taken 2 summer quarters at Wright State University and I have gotten a 4.00 there with about 25 credit hours. Would medical schools look just at my Ohio State GPA or do they combine my Ohio State and Wright State GPA even though my Wright State classes are transfer credits to Ohio State. My Wright State classes include a lot of science classes as I took 3 physics classes there and an Organic Chemistry class there and got all A's. Also, do medical schools look at the college you went to? I found Wright State to be extremely easy and Ohio State is very difficult for me as Ohio State is known to have pretty difficult science classes. I plan on taking 2 more quarters of classes before I apply and I plan on taking my MCAT's in May. Does anyone have any advice for me and answers to the questions I asked. I had an awful freshman year at Ohio State gradewise, but have shown improvement in my grades since, but I know I have a long way to go.

All college courses taken for credit will count in your GPA. The name of the school does not matter much.

You will be required to submit a transcript from every college attended and all grades earned will be recalculated by AMCAS into an application GPA. Yes med schools look at the colleges you attended and they are aware of the relative difficulty of the schools, especially within the same state. The great equalizer is the MCAT. If your courses weren't sufficiently rigorous at Wright, it will show. If they were of equal value to the more difficult school, then you'll do great on the MCAT.

Consider that 3.65 is the median GPA for those accepted to med school. Get as close to that as you can, even if it means waiting for another year of redeeming good grades to make you more competitive.

Here is a calculator program so you can figure out your true application GPA: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls