• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

I Need money

SEUPATTY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
    Here is my dilemma. I just graduated from undergrad and I recently found out I was accepted to medical school. The only problem is I don't have a job and I don't know of anyone who will hire me for 5 months before school starts. Does anyone have any suggestions of a short term job I could do with my biology degree that would pay decent. I have lab experience

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      SEUPATTY said:
      Here is my dilemma. I just graduated from undergrad and I recently found out I was accepted to medical school. The only problem is I don't have a job and I don't know of anyone who will hire me for 5 months before school starts. Does anyone have any suggestions of a short term job I could do with my biology degree that would pay decent. I have lab experience

If you don't mind burning some bridges, you can always neglect to mention that you need to leave in 5 months. Otherwise you can always do the cashier/bank teller thing.

About the Ads

saki0005

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 11, 2004
        Don't say anything about med school. No one will hire you for a decent position if they think you are going to leave within a year or two. Also, if you are female and have a desirable medical history, I would consider egg donation. A fertility clinic in my neck of the woods compensates you with $4000 per harvest. There is a huge time commitment and ethical issues related to this, but I'll leave that to you to figure out.

tulips

White Knight
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        May 10, 2004
        Atlanta
          You could be a nanny. It kinda sucks sometimes but it pays about 12 dollars an hour and people are very willing to hire for a temporary position and there are a lot of available hours.

loudawg

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 4, 2004
          New York
            Do the Kaplan/PR thing... they pay upwards of $20/hour for teaching MCAT classes and slightly less for SAT classes. It's definitely worth they pay and they will hire for the short term since it's mostly students that teach for them anyway.

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Feb 17, 2004
            a stone's throw away from reality
            www.google.com
            1. Attending Physician
              saki0005 said:
              Don't say anything about med school. No one will hire you for a decent position if they think you are going to leave within a year or two. Also, if you are female and have a desirable medical history, I would consider egg donation. A fertility clinic in my neck of the woods compensates you with $4000 per harvest. There is a huge time commitment and ethical issues related to this, but I'll leave that to you to figure out.

i would advise against that...my sister did this, and her hormones are out of whack. also, there's a caveat that you must be harvestable, meaning your body must produce a certain quota; otherwise, they'll cut you a check for $500 and send you on your way.

About the Ads

Shredder

User
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 14, 2004
              1. Medical Student
                SEUPATTY said:

Donation of blood, plasma, platelets, sperm, eggs. Or blue collar work; that takes little training so there isn't much lost if you leave. Plus, you might get swoll. Blue collar bio related work?

sweettpea23

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Dec 10, 2004
                  Work as a restaurant server. Five months is a long tenor in a restaurant and you can easily make between $10-25/hour depending on the type of restaurant. Don't tell them you will leave in 5 months, because they won't hire you even though about 1/3 of the staff turns over every 3 months. It's a good job for short-term money, but you have to work hard if you want to make around 20/hour.

browniegirl86

10+ Year Member
                  Oct 13, 2004
                  Portland, OR
                  1. Attending Physician
                    loudawg said:
                    Do the Kaplan/PR thing... they pay upwards of $20/hour for teaching MCAT classes and slightly less for SAT classes. It's definitely worth they pay and they will hire for the short term since it's mostly students that teach for them anyway.

Seconded. Apply now if you can so you can start getting paid ASAP . . . it will take about a month to get hired and train (which you DO get paid for). They're always hiring (at least my Kaplan center is) and are totally ok with people leaving for school.

Stitch626

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Nov 21, 2004
                    Houston
                      SEUPATTY said:

SEUPATTY,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I was also just accepted to UTH and graduated in May 2004. I am currently employed as a phlebotomist/lab assistant in Austin - but am ready to move. I would suggest that you go ahead and move to Houston and get a job as a lab assistant in any of the multiple hospitals in the TMC. With your prior lab experience, you should have no problem being hired as a lab asst (the job would entail accessioning and processing specimens in the lab). I am considering this option. Or you can always wait tables.

However, I think the most important aspect that I must address is that you do not have to tell your employer how long you plan to work. Go ahead and get a job and when you are ready to leave, give your 2 weeks notice. Considering that a business can fire you at the drop of the hat, you should never feel bad or guilty about leaving a job.

Mutterkuchen

15+ Year Member
                      Nov 28, 2001
                      Omaha
                        Pingu said:
                        You could lie...I know a few people who took jobs and then quit before medical school...just make sure that you don't let the med school thing slip out
                        This is highly unethical. If it is a year or two away, that is one thing, but only 5 months is fraud. If you choose to work in a lab, you should be upfront about how long you will be there.

Stitch626

10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Nov 21, 2004
                        Houston
                          JBJ said:
                          This is highly unethical. If it is a year or two away, that is one thing, but only 5 months is fraud. If you choose to work in a lab, you should be upfront about how long you will be there.

If a job specifically states that it requires a certain length of commitment, I agree with the above poster. In other situations, I would not feel bad about leaving after 5 months.

Mutterkuchen

15+ Year Member
                          Nov 28, 2001
                          Omaha
                            Stitch626 said:
                            If a job specifically states that it requires a certain length of commitment, I agree with the above poster. In other situations, I would not feel bad about leaving after 5 months.
                            If it a job that has an implied expectation of a time committment, then taking the job would be unethical. An example would be if you took a job in a research lab with the expectation that you would conduct experiments and maybe write a paper. You should definitely tell them, even if it means you won't get the job.

On the other hand, if you were a waiter or took another job with little or no training involved, then I would be hesitant to tell them.

As with many decisions, they may or may not come back to bite you, but I would want to keep my personal integrity in tact as much as possible.

sarahbeth607

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jan 22, 2005
                            Philly
                              I'm in a similar situation. I will be graduating in May and I have a light schedule this semester, so I was looking for a part-time job just to get me through until med school. Even for cashier/retail type jobs, the people I've interviewed with freak out when I say that I'm not going to stay. My advice? Don't mention how long you plan to work there. That's what I'm going to start doing. Just make sure you give them a lot of notice when you leave so that they won't have any trouble finding a replacement.

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.