I need more schools that I am competitive for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so everyone keeps telling me that I am applying to too many big name schools, and I should add schools where my scores are considered competitive, rather than where my scores are considered average.
My list on mdapps has all of the schools that I would not mind going to, but people keep telling me that I need what they call "safety schools". What do all y'all think.

Members don't see this ad.

Did I count right in that you have over 40 schools on that list? And you have a 3.9 and a 35? You don't need any more! Hell, i'd trim it.

Agreed. You look like a very strong candidate. I'd trim off at least 10 of those schools, personally. Your list is definitely top-heavy, but you'll command quite a lot of attention with your credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so everyone keeps telling me that I am applying to too many big name schools, and I should add schools where my scores are considered competitive, rather than where my scores are considered average.
My list on mdapps has all of the schools that I would not mind going to, but people keep telling me that I need what they call "safety schools". What do all y'all think.

Given that Texas schools must have 90% of their class be from Texas, you do not have a great shot at any of them (Baylor being an exception) unless you have a really strong connection to the state. But your list is certainly long enough...

Did I count right in that you have over 40 schools on that list? And you have a 3.9 and a 35? You don't need any more! Hell, i'd trim it.
I just wanna be safe, because I do NOT want to have to reapply.

Agreed. You look like a very strong candidate. I'd trim off at least 10 of those schools, personally. Your list is definitely top-heavy, but you'll command quite a lot of attention with your credentials.
This is exactly my point. I need some schools schools which are not so on top. I want to know what school I would be competitive at, and would be a good fit for me.

Given that Texas schools must have 90% of their class be from Texas, you do not have a great shot at any of them (Baylor being an exception) unless you have a really strong connection to the state. But your list is certainly long enough...

Ahh Texas... I grew up there, went to Elementary school there, and basically grew up there... And I have relatives in Houston, Dallas, and a bajillion friends of the family in El Paso, which is where I used to live.

I'm trying to say that between the following schools, you'll almost certainly get at least one acceptance as long as you interview decently and write well:

BU, Drexel, Jefferson, Ohio State, Cinci, Maryland, Illinois, UVA, VCU, Wayne State, the CA schools

Given that you'll probably get in at least one of those places - all of which are great choices for you - everything else on your list is gravy, more or less. You're right around the averages for all of the top schools you're applying to which means you're competitive.

If you want some more schools to apply to that you have an excellent shot of being accepted to, try Tulane, SLU, Rosalind Franklin, Wright State, Georgetown, and George Washington.

I'm trying to say that between the following schools, you'll almost certainly get at least one acceptance as long as you interview decently and write well:

BU, Drexel, Jefferson, Ohio State, Cinci, Maryland, Illinois, UVA, VCU, Wayne State, the CA schools

Given that you'll probably get in at least one of those places - all of which are great choices for you - everything else on your list is gravy, more or less. You're right around the averages for all of the top schools you're applying to which means you're competitive.

If you want some more schools to apply to that you have an excellent shot of being accepted to, try Tulane, SLU, Rosalind Franklin, Wright State, Georgetown, and George Washington.

You seriously think I will get into the Cali Schools... I would love that, a lot...

You seriously think I will get into the Cali Schools... I would love that, a lot...

hey bud, I also think you will be a shoe in for cali schools. I know two people who got 35s, one went to UCSF and the other UCLA. the one that went to UCSF did not have much EC's either, but had a killer Personal statement.

BTW, just to let you know, I hate you. You stole my score! I saw on your MDapps that you avareaged 32s on your AAMC tests and got a 35. I averaged 36s on my AAMC tests and got a 32! freakin bio. So if I you dont get in I dont have a shot at Cali schools....=\

oh well, you gota play the cards your dealt :oops:

I would say ,"be wary of burning yourself out doing secondaries." I applied to 30 or so schools and by the end I was reusing large portions of essays and I really hated doing essays. Thus If I were you I'd be looking at old secondary prompts and writing ASAP.