I Need of Advice as a Pre-Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidSnakeAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need of advice. I am a third year UC Davis undergraduate student and was wondering if I still have a chance of getting into dental school with an overall GPA of 3.10. I’m not sure what to take into account for my science GPA, but I’ve included classes such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus, Statistics, and as well as Nutrition and Hydrology (which were my GE courses that I believe would count in my science GPA as well) in my calculation and my science GPA is a 2.90. As an undergraduate student of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology major, I am taking courses such as Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Psychology, and Writing Composition for winter quarter of my junior year. I am starting my 2nd quarter with writing and planning taking at least three quarters of writing courses so that I would have a good English/Writing background and I think it is a prerequisite as well. Furthermore, I want to spend more time studying for the classes that I am taking; however, I am currently starting my second employment job at UC Davis and my first job did take away some of my free time in my previous year. Though I have to spend more time on my school work each day because of being employed, I am hoping to gain experience in the science/lab field so that I could put something in my resume.

Overall, my question is if I still have a chance in getting into a graduate school in dentistry, especially in California. I haven’t taking the DAT yet and will do so sometime in the beginning of fall 2011 of my senior year. My plans for this coming summer are to take summer courses at UC Davis and prepare for the DAT, hoping that studying for the exam during that time is efficient and that my timing is not too late. That is to say, feel free to post comments and ideas/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you're well aware of how competitive it has become to gain acceptance into dental school. It seems as though it gets more and more competitive each cycle. To be honest, a ~3.0 GPA most likely won't cut it unless your DAT score is through the roof. I understand that you are already a junior, so my recommendation to you is to do buckle down and do well in the rest of your classes. Don't worry about trying to do research, etc... I would recommend that you focus on your GPA and DATs right now

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, GPA and DAT scores are really important and I consider them as the main priority for getting into Dental School. The reason I am working during my junior is to have some kind of background experience in the lab field and hopefully improve my chances in getting into Dental school as well because I know there are people that consider GPA and DAT important; however, they are also multi-tasking by doing intern as well. Though working at campus is different than an intern, I'm hoping to show that I have interest in the dental field as well. Furthermore, I am trying to know more professors so that they could help we right letters of recommendation. It's been really difficult to know any of the professors at campus since there are so many students in my science courses and I am not sure how to directly know them other than working or learning their research. But as of right now, I understand importance of GPA and DAT, and I am hoping working under one job this year would not hold me back on studying. I try to think of the bright side that working/researching would help me in my application as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2 sci gpa and three acceptances. Not too bad. Congratz.

I need of advice. I am a third year UC Davis undergraduate student and was wondering if I still have a chance of getting into dental school with an overall GPA of 3.10. I’m not sure what to take into account for my science GPA, but I’ve included classes such as Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus, Statistics, and as well as Nutrition and Hydrology (which were my GE courses that I believe would count in my science GPA as well) in my calculation and my science GPA is a 2.90. As an undergraduate student of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology major, I am taking courses such as Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Psychology, and Writing Composition for winter quarter of my junior year. I am starting my 2nd quarter with writing and planning taking at least three quarters of writing courses so that I would have a good English/Writing background and I think it is a prerequisite as well. Furthermore, I want to spend more time studying for the classes that I am taking; however, I am currently starting my second employment job at UC Davis and my first job did take away some of my free time in my previous year. Though I have to spend more time on my school work each day because of being employed, I am hoping to gain experience in the science/lab field so that I could put something in my resume.

Overall, my question is if I still have a chance in getting into a graduate school in dentistry, especially in California. I haven’t taking the DAT yet and will do so sometime in the beginning of fall 2011 of my senior year. My plans for this coming summer are to take summer courses at UC Davis and prepare for the DAT, hoping that studying for the exam during that time is efficient and that my timing is not too late. That is to say, feel free to post comments and ideas/suggestions.
I'll be painfully honest with you. Your science GPA is too low for CA schools and for most other dental schools. Of course, this doesn't mean you don't have a chance at all; it simply means that you'll have a better chance of getting in if you improve your GPA.
A piece of advice about work...
Most pre-dents falsely assume that lots of research experience and shadowing hours will compensate for their poor academic performance. Although research and shadowing could help strengthening your application, they are definitely not required for getting into dental school. What's required, however, is a high GPA and good DAT scores. If you don't have these, all the research experience in the world won't help getting you into dental school. So, spend your time wisely and try to invest in the most important things (i.e. your science GPA & DAT)!

Good luck:thumbup:

I would suggest taking the "easiest" BCP and science classes as you can at UCD before you graduate. Try to get your science GPA to at least a 3.0, then take the DAT and apply for a SMP. Taking science classes at UCD can cause havoc on your GPA, but adcoms only care about the bottom line. In other words, a 3.3 at SacState > 3.1 at UCD to dental schools.

Thanks for the help. And speaking of the science GPA, I've just roughly calculated mine. Was wondering what other types of courses could be included in the calculation because I know it includes courses in the BCMP category. However, I am not sure if it involves any other classes such as nutrition, hydrology, or any other science related courses. Furthermore, can you explain what SMP is and the application process? Sorry, but I don't think I've heard of it before and I'm hoping you could explain it to me.

Thanks for the help. And speaking of the science GPA, I've just roughly calculated mine. Was wondering what other types of courses could be included in the calculation because I know it includes courses in the BCMP category. However, I am not sure if it involves any other classes such as nutrition, hydrology, or any other science related courses. Furthermore, can you explain what SMP is and the application process? Sorry, but I don't think I've heard of it before and I'm hoping you could explain it to me.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ts/GeneralInstructions/Pages/Coursework2.aspx

SMP=Special Masters Program...google or do a search on sdn

Well..... You gotta weight your options here. Is working throughout undergrad while at the same time hurting your GPA more important than building a stronger GPA and increasing your chances at dental schools?

3.1 GPA and 2.9 GPA are low. Odds of you getting interviews are pretty low. IMO, and I know this isn't easy, but your gonna need to pull only As (A- being the lowest acceptable grade), basically 4.0-ing every semester from now on to bring that GPA and sGPA to more respectable levels...... This isn't easy to do, your gonna have to quit your job and focus 100% of your energy into your studies.....I really believe, if you pull this off in whatever time remaining you have in undergrad, you'll have a MUCH stronger chance of landing interviews.

Don't worry about the DAT now, don't even think about this test, your GPA is more important right now. Fix your GPA, then we can talk DAT

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I am going to find ways to manage my grade point average and work schedule. I already know GPA and DAT scores are the most important factors to getting into Dental School. My hopes are to bump everything up as high as I can with all my potential. :thumbup: