I need serious help with MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to do.... Please help me. Any advice is appreciated! :)

I have trouble comprehending the passages. My attention span is so low that my focus remains on the passages for such a short period of time before I find myself daydreaming about something else. I want to go see the doctor to see if I have ADHD... If I have it, do you think pills for the disorder will help me keep my focus? :confused: But if I don't have it, what should I do to help me with the passages?

Also, I'm currently doing content review using Examkrackers and Kaplan... but a lot of the details aren't drilling into my head. When I study, my focus drifts elsewhere every 5-20 minutes. When I realize I'm not studying, I go back to the subject, but the same thing happens again.... It's like I can't study for no more than 30 minutes at a time. I haven't done any full lengths yet, except one free practice exam at a Kaplan event that I took before any content review, and I got a total of 8 on it. Yup, I said an 8. :oops: I have all the AAMC paper full-lengths and Kaplan full-lengths that I still need to take. My MCAT is on July 30.

So the three questions I have are:
1. What should I do to help me retain the information in content review?

2. What should I do to help me focus on and understand the passages better?

3. Should I wait until I'm done doing content review to take full-length practice?

Members don't see this ad.

ok first of all, about taking pills.... don't do stupid things like that please. I believe every person has the potential to focus and do as well as others without meds.

Now as for drilling material in your head, you need to really learn to recognize what kinds of things you DO know and what kinds of things you DON'T know. I recommend a journal log of all the material that you already studied and a separate log of material that when you see you feel you are weak on. Then, plan to study those weaknesses. Then go back and do this again. As you go through the material, you need to work the problems in the chapters if they come with it too... study how to do these problems and think about the application of concepts while doing it.

After you do your content review, do lots of practice problems. After doing practice problems, make a log of stuff you are getting right or wrong and why. Identify concepts you see you are getting consistently wrong and then go back to the content book and review only if it's memory or concept understanding related. You have to systematically eliminate your weaknesses and the only way you see this progress is if you make a record of it somehow because you obviously cannot review over every single thing in a day and it's wasting time to be studying something you actually do know pretty well over and over again when that time can be spent studying weaknesses.

Hm as for retaining information, you just have to sit your butt down on a chair with no distractions and just read and study... NO PAIN NO GAIN my friend.

As for focusing on passages for verbal. practice, practice, practice. You need to make the "uncomfortable" become "comfortable" by timing yourself and doing trail and error through practice passages. Buy the EK 101 verbal book, TPR verbal workbook, kaplan workbook or whatever verbal practice there are and just set a timer and then do these passages.

It also helps to go into a passage "with a purpose" which would be like finding the main idea of the passage, or the scope, or the opinion or purpose of the author. Evaluate all your questions from top to bottom in DETAIL at first. Learn why you are making mistakes here and there, and then change your habits on the next practice. Practice verbal every day if it's still a weakness. Don't skip... don't go drinking at a bar .... sit your butt down on that seat and work those problems and passages.

As for waiting to finish content review..... you should do content review WITH practice problems at first then do a crap load of practice problems... then use the FL's.

Also, I recommend you read through the forum for advice and go out and search for ways to improve, instead of waiting for it to come to you.

good luck!