I need serious help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownsugargh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to study for my MCATS which i would be taking next spring. I need buy books to study with and i was told to avoid Kaplan because it wasn't helpful and based on my research, i have concluded that EK 1001 biology is worthless. I don't know where to turn and i'm beginning to get frustrated. Are there any books that anyone would suggest i get? I looked into Berkeley review and they are too expensive. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am trying to study for my MCATS which i would be taking next spring. I need buy books to study with and i was told to avoid Kaplan because it wasn't helpful and based on my research, i have concluded that EK 1001 biology is worthless. I don't know where to turn and i'm beginning to get frustrated. Are there any books that anyone would suggest i get? I looked into Berkeley review and they are too expensive. Thanks.

Unfortunately there's no cheap way to study for the MCAT, only cheaper ways. TBR may seem expensive, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the typical cost of prep classes (TPR's cheapest class is $2000, their most expensive being close to $7000). And when you take into account the fact that the TBR books hold their value extremely well to the point that it's not uncommon for people to resell the books for $5 less than what they paid to get them new, it's actually a very cheap option.

The only prep materials you'll going to find cheaper than TBR is the ExamKrackers book set (about $120-$150 IIRC) and maybe the TPR hyperlearning set if you get lucky and find someone selling them for a lot less than usual.

Honestly I wouldn't be concerned about the cost of prep books. The TPRH and TBR sets hold their values well enough such that they're practically free once you resell. The real expense comes from all the crap you'll wind up buying from the AAMC, like the practice tests ($35 a pop for a total of $245), the guide to the MCAT ($30), that new diagnostic set they're coming out with ($100 if you get all three), and of course the MCAT itself ($245 plus $70 if you register late plus another $70 if you ever decide to reschedule). The same goes for any practice tests you buy from prep companies which run hundreds of dollars and can't be resold since they're online-only.

In total you should probably expect to blow close to $1000 on the MCAT and recoup about 1/2 to 1/3 of that. This is assuming, of course, you don't retake.