I need solid advice about UC vs. CWRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddiebliss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice about U Cincinnati vs Case Western Reserve U...I just got off the waitlist at each school, within days of each other, and I would go to Case no question, except for the fact that I need a deferral this year, for personal reasons, and Cincinnati will grant me one, while Case will not. If there is anybody with experience with these schools, ie current students or people who interviewed with them, I would appreciate any input you could offer that would help me make a decision. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

CWU already refused to give YOU a deferral?

I ask, because CWU says it has a liberal policy on deferral being granted automatically. Longer deferrals are granted if there is good justification. The normal deadline of May 15 may be extended to July 15 if problems arise late.

Is lateness the problem?

My opinion: if CWU stands on its refusal, and it very important that you defer, go with Cincinatti. If you turn both down and reapply next year, you cannot be guaranteed that UC or CWU will accept you again. In that event, you might find yourself standing out in the freezing cold with your nose pressed against against a restaurant window, like a Dickens character watching the well off eating warm and merrily while you are starving.

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck!

Without going into details, not getting what I wanted when I wanted it turned out to be a wonderful stroke of luck for me.

Wow. That sucks.

Have you explained the personal reasons to the Dean? They have been VERY helpful in the whole transition process so far, I'm surprised they are not willing to defer you. Orientation at Case starts in less than two weeks though, perhaps this is the reason?

Gower is right, sometimes when you look bakc over your life, you realize that not getting what you want is the best in the end.

Snoopy is a current Case Student and has been very helpful in the past.

Good Luck with your decision. Let us know how it turns out!

Laura

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I guess I am the resident expert on UC. I am about to start my second year here, and I LOVE this school. I turned down interviews at Case and MCO after interviewing here. And I turned down an acceptance at OSU, which was initially my first choice since I am a Columbus native. But after interviewing here, I was sold.

I could go on and on. But instead, I'll give you a breakdown of the nice features here at UC:

1.Amazing Integrated, Systems-Based curriculum, with TEST-BLOCK format. This means all tests are together during exam weeks, so you're never falling behind in one class while studying for a test in another. This really makes life easier. Plus the courses all work together very well. So, for example, when you're learning about respiratory physiology, you're also studying lung tissue sections in Micro, and dissecting the Thoracic cavity in Gross. They all work together beautifully!
2. It's a low stress environment. I can't emphasize this enough. The students are NOT competitive with each other. Example: when somebody makes a study guide for a test, they email it to the whole class. This is a friendly place with happy students.
3. Brand new Micro labs, with laptops for each student, and newly refinished anatomy labs!
4. Tuition at UC = about 12K per year, at CWR = about 35K per year! That's a huge difference.
5. CRW may be affiliated with The CC, but here we have amazing hospitals as well, including one of the top 3 children's hospitals in the country, and the best EM residency in the country (here at University hospital).

Well, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. And good luck!

Hey everybody,
Thanks for all the replies...I just talked to the Dean of admissions at Case Western, and he said that it is school policy that no deferrals are granted after May 15, for any reason. And I didn't have a trivial reason for wanting to defer either. He just said that is the policy, and there was nothing he could do. So I am leaning more toward Cincinnati...especially with what Mango said...I had a really good interview with UC as well, and it seemed like a good environment. I have to let Case know by tomorrow if I am declining their acceptance, so if anyone else has an opinion, I'm all ears! Thanks

Sorry to hear that about Case. But I'm glad the info on UC was helpful for you. I'm going to agree with Gower, in that this may turn out to be a great change for you. You may never move back to the "Mistake By the Lake"! ;) JUST KIDDING! I love Cleveland. Anyhow, maybe I'll see you in a year or so down here in "The 'Nati"! We can go to the Battle of Ohio games together and cheer for the Indians! I love doing that...

If you can't get a deferrment from CWRU and absolutely cannot begin school this fall, then definitely take the acceptance at Cincy (unless you feel that you would be unhappy there). Turning both down runs the inherent risk of ultimately being accepted nowhere.
Look at it this way: Maybe this isn't something that's happening TO you--maybe it's happening FOR you.
Either way, congrats on acceptances to two top notch schools and best of luck in the decision making process and beyond.

Hi,
No, I would definitely not turn them both down, I am just trying to make a choice on one of them. I was wondering if anybody knew of a major reason why it would be better to rush to go to Case this year as opposed to deferring at Cincy and going next year. From people I've talked to, it sounds like there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two, in terms of the quality of the education or where people end up for residencies. Sounds like the biggest difference is in terms of their research resources, Case's being more extensive...but maybe Mango can set me straight on that ;)

I would defy you to find a difference between research at CWRU and UC. There would most likely be no discernable difference to any non MD/PhD student. And even if there were, it would simply be in different fields of research. The differences would be completely inconsequential to anybody else.

School specifics notwithstanding, you will become a great physician because you put your heart and soul into it. At times, this may require a "step down" in name, but you will be no less of a doctor. I agree with the posters. If your deferral reason is not trivial (read: matters to you, and affects your life), then UC next year is the better choice.