1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I Need Some 411 Please

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by MD Dreams, Nov 27, 2005.

1. MD Dreams

MD Dreams Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I need your expertise/advice regarding what tier surgical residency I should aim for. Although I plan on applying to a number of institutions, I need this information to help guide me in deciding where I should do my electives. In short, should I do my electives at university programs or community programs, and at what tier with respect to each one. I'm hoping my electives will open some doors for me in regards to residency.

A little info about me: I'm an SGU student, good grades in med school, 240 on step 1, so far A's in clinicals (my school goes by letter grades), a couple of good letters of recommendations, more hopefully to come. I tend to do very well in clinicals because I get along well with the residents, am reliable, hard-working and enthusiastic (not trying to boast).

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SFX

SFX canonized
    5+ Year Member

"Need some 411"! Have you just been reading a nineties dictionary or something? :laugh:

As for the question. I guess it depends on what you're interested in. What kind of career do you want?

4. MD Dreams

MD Dreams Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't want an academic career. I do want a fellowship after general surgery, although not in peds surgery. But I would like to have the other fellowship options available to me with relative ease.

My instinct tells me to go for the gold and try an elective at a university program. However, I may be wasting my time while I can be building "connections" at a community program where I am more likely to get in. But then there is the issue of high tier community programs that are well known and other that are not as well known but would probably provide a good education, although I don't know how it would affect my chances of a fellwoship down the line. I also don't want to end up in a malignant environment for residency.

5. SFX

SFX canonized
    5+ Year Member

Hmmm. What's that old story about how you catch a monkey? :laugh:

6. MD Dreams

MD Dreams Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't get it? I guess I don't know that story.

7. ivan lewis

ivan lewis Member
    5+ Year Member

I think your scores and grades are fine. The obvious hindrance to your apps is the school that you graduated from (I'm assuming SGU is St. George's). Most of the top name academic programs will want US grads (and even amongst those they'll divide according to tiers). What I'd probably do in your shoes is to apply broadly. I would apply to maybe 20-30 programs with some good academic names sprinkled in. You should try to do at least 2 away rotations, one at your dream academic program and another at a community program that you really like. It's probably an advantage to go to an academic program for fellowships but as you might already know it's not a necessity. The other thing to consider is the city. Getting into a community program in the West or Northeast maybe tougher than obtaining a spot at a mid level academic program in the midwest. I don't know any program off hand which are FMG friendly but I'm sure you could get a hint by looking at your own school's match list from the past couple of years.