I need some advice folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5moreminutes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took it in august, got a 13 Q (6P,4V,3B)
this time Jan, I got a 17 O (6P, 3V, 8B)

I improved a lot in Bio, because that is all I studied for. so now i know that the key for me is to study more

When should I retake this test, in april or in may
please help me out!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you take the real deal (twice), without adequately preparing for it? Taking the REAL Mcat, is not like taking a practice test you know. Those scores are forever carved into your permanent record. Even if you were to take it a 3rd time and get a high score (which is unlikely considering there is something you should change about your studying and or/understanding of topics), it will still reflect negatively because those first 2 low scores cannot be taken out of your record.

If I were you, i would NOTTTTTTTT take another REAL Mcat for a very long long time, until I figured out what you are missing in your test taking strategy or concepts tested. And then after you fix that problem, take a whole bunch of self-timed practice tests by yourself and then score them, making sure you are at least averaging above 30's before re taking.

Seriously though, if you ever want to become a doctor....I think slow and steady is the key point right now. Taking the MCAT again and getting a 24-29, is not going to do you much good after those first 2 attempts. So, re-take the classes or change the method of attack. Turn that 5-more-minutes, into 5 more years if necessary. And I mean this in the most constructive way! Better late then never. Good Luck.

Your scores need to improve, so the question is, are you willing to do the work to get into med school? I have friends that started studying a year before the exam, 2 hrs/day. You are going to be taking standardized exams (USMLE's) in med school, so they need to know that you can do well on them. While I don't necessarily agree with spending a year to prepare for the exam (there are better things you could be doing), I do recommend at least a month, especially in your situation, of HARD CORE studying...by that, I mean at least 4 hrs/day. The month up to my MCAT, I studied approx. 6 hrs/day.

You also have to take into consideration the fact that testing conditions will be different from your practice test conditions. I was one of the unfortunate who got the messed up verbal section, and needed to adjust to the computer's strobe lights, but I was able to work through it because I had already encountered difficult passages in practice exams and had really numbed my mind to difficult situations. This mindset took training!

Note: if possible, use an older computer to take practice CBT exams. I think you'll be able to adjust better to the computer screens on the real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
April or May?

Seriously, I think you should postpone your next MCAT retake until you are SURE you are ready and have studied all the subjects.

I don't know if you have all the pre-reqs, but you might want to consider waiting until the end of the year. Postpone applying if you must. You are just making it more difficult for yourself going in with such a low MCAT score.

:luck: :luck:

Yea, best advice is to get your practice scores in the range you'll need to offset these sub20 numbers (i.e. at least 30 or higher). Quit using the real MCAT sessions as an opportunity to practice and instead challenge yourself through practice tests that you or a test prep agency grades. You cannot afford another low score! Only take the test once you are consistenly scoring in your desired practice range and until then, stay away from the MCAT registration site!

Although I think that HippocratesX' advice is a bit harsh, I do think that this test demands every ounce of your attention and effort. For some, that means no classes outside of the MCAT, while for others this means 1 month of pure MCAT prep. I think that you must find what works best for you. Yes, schools will see your scores, but they will also see your improvement...however you must work to your very best ability to finally reflect med. school quality improvement. Life is not over, and no, I do not believe that retaking classes and spending 5years preparing for this thing is necessary. It just takes patience, dedication and objectivity. :luck: :luck: :luck: You may also want to take a DAT for fun and see how you perform on that. Hang in there!

Although I think that HippocratesX' advice is a bit harsh, I do think that this test demands every ounce of your attention and effort. For some, that means no classes outside of the MCAT, while for others this means 1 month of pure MCAT prep. I think that you must find what works best for you. Yes, schools will see your scores, but they will also see your improvement...however you must work to your very best ability to finally reflect med. school quality improvement. Life is not over, and no, I do not believe that retaking classes and spending 5years preparing for this thing is necessary. It just takes patience, dedication and objectivity. :luck: :luck: :luck: You may also want to take a DAT for fun and see how you perform on that. Hang in there!

thanks, I know where my faults are

1. I spent a lot of time on VR and still did not do well. I had to ignore other subjects because of VR practice

2. I did not make sure that I got a good score on my practice tests ( I did not even take any timed ones.
3. I knew I wasnt ready so, I did this because of parental pressure

I am not willing to spend 5 years on this. I think I need to be more dedicated. I know that I goofed around a lot. and I should stop believing that miracles can happen and start b elieving the fact that, the results are equivalent to the effort put into the task. ( i know I am probably too late in realizing this, but I guess I always learn the hard way).

I am going to take the test again in May, and put my 100% into it this time. I dont have an option. Although I am not going to tell my parents that I did bad, otherwise they will pressure me again and it stresses me out and discourages me, thus killing my positive energies. I will tell them that I did well and just silently do my job.

i dont think my problem is that I am dumb, it is more like I am lazy and I party way too much and spend way too much time socializing. I know that if I give my 100% I am very capable of achieving my goals.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming- advice, tips, etc. anything is good

Also,this time I take it, I will make sure that I get a desired score on my practice tests, or I wont take the test.

thanks, I know where my faults are

1. I spent a lot of time on VR and still did not do well. I had to ignore other subjects because of VR practice

2. I did not make sure that I got a good score on my practice tests ( I did not even take any timed ones.
3. I knew I wasnt ready so, I did this because of parental pressure

I am not willing to spend 5 years on this. I think I need to be more dedicated. I know that I goofed around a lot. and I should stop believing that miracles can happen and start b elieving the fact that, the results are equivalent to the effort put into the task. ( i know I am probably too late in realizing this, but I guess I always learn the hard way).

I am going to take the test again in May, and put my 100% into it this time. I dont have an option. Although I am not going to tell my parents that I did bad, otherwise they will pressure me again and it stresses me out and discourages me, thus killing my positive energies. I will tell them that I did well and just silently do my job.

i dont think my problem is that I am dumb, it is more like I am lazy and I party way too much and spend way too much time socializing. I know that if I give my 100% I am very capable of achieving my goals.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming- advice, tips, etc. anything is good
Good attitude. :thumbup:

Do you have you Examkrackers study material?

Not to be harsh or arrogant here, but sounds to me like you went into this half assedly!!! Are you asian of any sort, southeast, east, or South Asian?? Just curious cuz of the parental pressure comment.

I'd take HippocratesX's advice seriously. He's got the best post on here so far in terms of advice.

You are not going to do well if you are not focused. Focus and confidence are the keys to success. Focusing not just on the day of the test but before the test when you are studying and preparing. From what I can see you really need a lot of work in understanding the fundamentals of your basic prereq courses and need even more time spent on practice tests and materials.

I'd even consider taking a course if you haven't already.

You need to take a lot of practice tests and take them timed as if you were sitting for the real deal tomorrow. Then you need to go over every question including the ones you got right and decide which one's you got right because you guessed right vs. which ones you got right because you knew the material and why you got the wrong answers on the questions you got wrong. Were they wrong because you were forced to guess due to lack of time or were they wrong because you didn't know the material?? Or perhaps was it some other strategical matter such as there gbeing 2 answer choices which were similar and you not being able to identify which was the "better" of the answer choices??

These are the types of questions you have to ask yourself. Then you have to devise a plan on how you are going to study for it. The key to studying is not just memorizing facts, figures, and formulas. Rather, it is to learn the material on a conceptual level and how to apply it to a given situation. You need a lot of work and need to seriously consider taking a lot more then 1-2 months to take it. In fact, I'd consider waiting a whole year at the minimum if not longer and in that time learn the material well and practice a lot. At minimum, I'd at least wait 6 months and study hard core and try to correctly identify what is causing you to continually do unwell with the test.

Good attitude. :thumbup:

Do you have you Examkrackers study material?

yes I do, I am going to use them this time. I bought all of them but never really used them. I also have all their 1001 books, wow all these books are untouched. also have all the CDs. only thing I dont have access to anymore is Full Length Tests.

I wonder how I should get the CBT format ones.
One thing I want to do starting now itself is take one MCAT practice test every weekend. Because if i keep saying to my self tha t I will finish reviewing and then start taking tests ,then I know its never going to end.

yes I do, I am going to use them this time. I bought all of them but never really used them. I also have all their 1001 books, wow all these books are untouched. also have all the CDs. only thing I dont have access to anymore is Full Length Tests.

I wonder how I should get the CBT format ones.
One thing I want to do starting now itself is take one MCAT practice test every weekend. Because if i keep saying to my self tha t I will finish reviewing and then start taking tests ,then I know its never going to end.

Quick question- Are you sure YOU want to be a doctor? You're not being pressured? This has to be something you want to do. Putting in study time and sacrificing for someone else's dream will make you bitter, resentful and unfulfilled.

You need to think of the MCAT as a tool. Use that tool to get into med school. You have to be serious about this.

Open those EK books and get studying. You are only allowed on SDN to ask questions on the MCAT question sections. :smuggrin:

Also,this time I take it, I will make sure that I get a desired score on my practice tests, or I wont take the test.

Good idea.

It's rare that someone is able to pull a score that low to an acceptable score, especially that fast. Not that it can't be done. I know of people who have made 9-10 point jumps. It's just rare. Read through posts on what type of schedules others have done to get 30+ scores.

If you don't put 100% of your effort into it this time and are still scoring around 20 on practice tests come exam time, you should probably consider another plan besides med school.

Good luck though :thumbup:

Not to be harsh or arrogant here, but sounds to me like you went into this half assedly!!! Are you asian of any sort, southeast, east, or South Asian?? Just curious cuz of the parental pressure comment.

Yes I am south asian (Indian)

I'd take HippocratesX's advice seriously. He's got the best post on here so far in terms of advice.

You are not going to do well if you are not focused. Focus and confidence are the keys to success. Focusing not just on the day of the test but before the test when you are studying and preparing. From what I can see you really need a lot of work in understanding the fundamentals of your basic prereq courses and need even more time spent on practice tests and materials.

I agree with the focus part, I did lack that both the times. I need to focus and not lose track and understand the fundementals, I realize that. I have them in my mind, but they are just a little rusty. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH VERBAL though.
I'd even consider taking a course if you haven't already.

I dont think I need that, all i need to do is get my ass on the quiet floor of the library and enjoy the torture.

You need to take a lot of practice tests and take them timed as if you were sitting for the real deal tomorrow. Then you need to go over every question including the ones you got right and decide which one's you got right because you guessed right vs. which ones you got right because you knew the material and why you got the wrong answers on the questions you got wrong. Were they wrong because you were forced to guess due to lack of time or were they wrong because you didn't know the material?? Or perhaps was it some other strategical matter such as there gbeing 2 answer choices which were similar and you not being able to identify which was the "better" of the answer choices??
I agree, its the difference between knowing and doing. I know it but I dont do it, therefore making knowing useless in the end

These are the types of questions you have to ask yourself. Then you have to devise a plan on how you are going to study for it. The key to studying is not just memorizing facts, figures, and formulas. Rather, it is to learn the material on a conceptual level and how to apply it to a given situation. You need a lot of work and need to seriously consider taking a lot more then 1-2 months to take it. In fact, I'd consider waiting a whole year at the minimum if not longer and in that time learn the material well and practice a lot. At minimum, I'd at least wait 6 months and study hard core and try to correctly identify what is causing you to continually do unwell with the test.]
I am not going to take the test unless my practice score reflects the score I want, so hopefully I will be able to gauge.

Quick question- Are you sure YOU want to be a doctor? You're not being pressured? This has to be something you want to do. Putting in study time and sacrificing for someone else's dream will make you bitter, resentful and unfulfilled.

You need to think of the MCAT as a tool. Use that tool to get into med school. You have to be serious about this.

Open those EK books and get studying. You are only allowed on SDN to ask questions on the MCAT question sections. :smuggrin:

Yes, my parents actually DONT want me to be a doctor. I really do want to be a doctor. But I wasnt under state of emergency then , as I am now. My parents will get me to change my career options if they find out that I goofed up on this one too and get me married (oh god), I dont know where they get these things in their heads from.
Anyways, YES I want to be a doctor for sure.