I need some advice here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranthai

gemini1506
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so English is not my first language and I am struggling so badly with VR. I'm planning to retake the MCAT because I only got 9 VR, 9 BS, and 12 PS the first time I took it. I know how to study for the PS and BS, but still do not figure out how to improve my VR. And as I mentioned above, English is not my language and I have only been in U.S. for 6 years (came here when I was 19, not too old but not young enough to catch up on language as well as other people :((( ). Any advice would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so English is not my first language and I am struggling so badly with VR. I'm planning to retake the MCAT because I only got 9 VR, 9 BS, and 12 PS the first time I took it. I know how to study for the PS and BS, but still do not figure out how to improve my VR. And as I mentioned above, English is not my language and I have only been in U.S. for 6 years (came here when I was 19, not too old but not young enough to catch up on language as well as other people :((( ). Any advice would be really appreciated.

If I had a 9 in VR, I would just take it and never look back, seriously.

Don't wait for users to provide you with suggestions here, use the search function, there are already a thousand posts on SDN about VR and how to improve.

Best of luck

If English is your 2nd language and you really get a 9 in VR, you should definitely run with that score and work to increase your BS instead. Improve BS by 3 points and PS by 1 point while keeping your VR at that 9 will get you 35 overall... 95% percentile...BINGO!

Talk to your advisers (or ADCOMs if you can).

A 9 with English as your second language may be regarded fairly well so a retake may not be the best choice. Unless you're retaking it for the 9 in BS but I think a 30 overall with ESL should serve fairly nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had a 9 in VR, I would just take it and never look back, seriously.

Don't wait for users to provide you with suggestions here, use the search function, there are already a thousand posts on SDN about VR and how to improve.

Best of luck
I know there are a thousand posts on SDN about how to improve VR, but the majority of them is for people who speak English as their first language. I'm looking for sth specifically for people like me. Unfortunately, I havent found any yet :(

I agree with everyone else, I think a 9 in VR is pretty good if English is not your native language. In terms of improving your score, more practice should help (aka everything that's discussed in this forum, like the 101 verbal passages from exam krackers book, for example). You may also benefit from just reading a lot of English in general though. Find a good book to read at night, peruse news articles. Use this to supplement (not substitute) your actual VR practice. If you retake, just make sure your score doesn't go down. If you can increase it by one point to a 10, then that would be awesome.

I would try to improve the BS score to at least a 10. Good luck!

I know there are a thousand posts on SDN about how to improve VR, but the majority of them is for people who speak English as their first language. I'm looking for sth specifically for people like me. Unfortunately, I havent found any yet :(

I'm in the same boat, moved to Canada a few years ago, so I'm still technically learning English !