1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I need some advice on applying to IM programs in California

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Cardioverter, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Cardioverter

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, I'm a MS-III from Western University (osteopathic school) and I am trying to decide where to rotate next year. I am very interested in Cardiology and need to decide if it's possible to do IM in California and realistically have any chance of eventually matching to a Cards fellowship somewhere. I had decent grades during my MS-I and MS-II years (definitely upper half, maybe upper quartile of my class), good grades so far during my MS-III year, 225 on USMLE and 620 on COMLEX. I have been doing some reading recently on cali IM programs and how competitive they are, how "DO friendly" they are and how many people match into cards each year. It seems I might have a decent shot at USC, UCI and Loma Linda. Programs like UCSF, UCLA, Stanford seem out of the question just from the fact that I'm a DO.

Can I get some serious advice on where I should rotate next year and how I should approach this process? I don't want to rotate a lot through USC, for example, to land an IM spot there and find out years from now I have no chance at cardiology. I would appreciate any help\advice.

2. 2007er

2007er Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

basically, u want to apply to IM programs w/ fellowships...makes getting a spot easier. look up freida and search for cards fellowship, then apply to the programs that have those spots for IM.

for usc, out of the 50 categoricals last year, 3 matched into cards, all at usc.