I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting a message on the board, so here it goes. I'm in the process of transvering to a UCR as an undergrad. I changed my major from philosophy to biology with hope that the latter major would help me in my academic endeavors toward Med school. However, Im getting second thoughts about biology and considering going back into philosophy. So here is my question. Is it necessary to have a biology (or science) major in order to apply for Med schools? I've heard that it doesn't matter but is this really true?

Regards,
Student247

Members don't see this ad.

It's really true, but you have to do well in the science requirements for med school, obviously. You should major in what you like and are really interested in. Good grades will be much easier to come by that way. Best of luck.

Oh, and Welcome to SDN! :)

As long as you do well in the science courses that are required by most med schools (gen chem, organic, gen physics, and gen bio) and in your major courses, it doesn't matter much what your major is. If you like philosophy, go with philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going with Philosophy might actually give you a leg up since your grades are likely to be better than those taking hard science classes, plus you will be better at handling interviews. You just have to ace those required science courses.

I never found philosophy to be that easy (this is in reference to Daredevil's comment that you'd get higher grades as a philosophy major than a "hard science" major). In short, do what you like, take the pre-reqs and have fun. You'll do your best this way. Good luck!

If you enjoy philosophy, majoring in it might actually help you get in. It shows you are well-rounded and diverse.

Plus, many medical schools have around 20% of their class coming from non-science majors. But probably much less than 20% of applicants are non-science majors. Thus, it seems to be in you advantage to be a non-science major.

Finally, I bet philosophy might help you nail the notorious verbal reasoning section of the MCAT.

Good Luck!

My personal advice is to stick with the philosophy major. You'll learn plenty of biology in med school. Take what you love now and do well in it. Also, it seems to me that a philosophy major would fare well on the verbal section of the MCAT. Who knows...when you apply to med school you and your interviewers may hit it off w/ a philosophical discussion...
:)

Originally posted by BeckyG:
•I never found philosophy to be that easy (this is in reference to Daredevil's comment that you'd get higher grades as a philosophy major than a "hard science" major).•

It might not be easier, but it's been my experience that most science courses are graded on curves such that a certain proportion of students will get C's, D's, and F's. In some science courses, you can get 80% of the possible points in the class and if everyone else does too, you may get a C. In humanities, it is rare to find such a curve - this means that as long as you do well you will get a decent grade.

Hi Student247, so you are planning to transfer to UCR? ( UC Riverside). What school are you currently attending? I am also interested in UCR, why dont you send me an email and give me urs, so we can chat? Well, as the rest said, the major is not important, do what you like but make sure you go good in your science and non-science courses. Good luck. My email is: [email protected]

I was in a similar boat as you last year. I started as aBio major added philosophy as a 2nd major, one because I liked it and two, because it would make me stand out as an applicant. I later dropped philosophy down to a minor. The philosophy will really help you stand-out. Perhaps a philosophy major and a bio minor.
Although many say to study what you love, you also have to consider what you want to become. Without a good bio background, you may have more trouble in med school. Also, every bio major I talk to that has taken the MCAT says that the bio part was the hardest part, I really would like to know what non-bio majors says. I'm not saying to major is bio just because, I just think that the field that we all have choosen demands a good/strong bio background.
I hope some of this helps.