I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to these forums and need some advice. I've made some definite mistakes in the past, but I want to push myself in the right direction.

Here are my specs: 29 MCAT, 3.6 gpa (double major in biology and psychology), hospital volunteer experience, pretty good EC's overall.

I made the mistake last year of applying very late to medical school. This resulted me in getting only 1 interview (I was surprised even by that) and ultimately getting wait listed at that school. I knew I had little chance at getting in, and I'm now focusing on what to do next year.

I am retaking the MCAT in August to hopefully get it in the 30's.

I applied to the BMS masters program at Rosalind Franklin, got accepted, but I'm not sure whether to accept or not. It's very expensive and seems to have some negative feedback here on these forums. I wish I had looked into other programs, but here I am.

I will of course be applying early this year, with a hopefully new and improved MCAT score (i've been doing well on practice tests) and was wondering what some of you had to say on the necessity of such a program. If I worked in research, a doctor's office, or a hospital next year instead, did well on the MCAT next month, and continued volunteering a lot, would that be as good of an option as taking a potentially risky and expensive masters program that I may not need?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry for bumping my own post but I could really use some advice.

thanks!

A masters program (correct me if I'm wrong) is more for people who have good MCAT but low GPA. Your GPA is fine. I think just focus on getting that MCAT >30.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well at the SMP, you're probably getting in somewhere. In fact, you'll probably have some options.

If you do poorly at the SMP, you're probably finished.

I'd do the SMP. But that's me. I am at my best when the pressure is on, and my back is against the wall.

I will of course be applying early this year, with a hopefully new and improved MCAT score (i've been doing well on practice tests) and was wondering what some of you had to say on the necessity of such a program. If I worked in research, a doctor's office, or a hospital next year instead, did well on the MCAT next month, and continued volunteering a lot, would that be as good of an option as taking a potentially risky and expensive masters program that I may not need?

I would do what was mentioned above. Your gpa is fine, just aim for the high mcat. Also, you'll have the rest of the year to enhance ECs, which will make you more appealing. So, I wouldn't do the masters program and just focus on improving you stats.

Since you said RFU, I assume you are in the chicago area?!? I know Loyola has a one year MPH program that guarentees you an interview at their med school if you have at least a 28 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA in their program. Is that of interest to you?