I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainman6304

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so i went through a masters in biochemistry program to make up for my grades in undergrad (ended up with a 3.67). Well my last quarter of the program i was signed up for a seminar which we were required to take every quarter as long as we were taking classes. The rules for attendance for this seminar changed this quarter (which was announced the first day which I was not required to go to because it was picture taking day for the new grad students for the dept.). By the way its an S/NC class and 1 unit. Apparently we were only allowed to miss 2 seminars but I missed 3 and got no credit for the class. Keep in mind in previous quarters we were allowed to miss 3 and I got credit for all of them. I tried to argue but the teacher was a no nonsense kinda guy and I have to say I have to agree especially at my level of study.

Well my thing is that I want to apply to med school but I am really worried that this class will affect the way schools look at me. So I was trying find out how much it will affect my chances or what ur thoughts on it are?
I know, ur thinking to urslef what the heck was he doing? I already feel dumb and nervous. So some words of advice or experience could really help me out. :(

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A master's degree will not "make up" for undergrad grades, as you put it. Undergrad and graduate GPA are calculated separately, and your undergrad GPA carries the most weight. (unless this master's you're talking about is an SMP or similar program)

As to how schools will view this -- I'm not sure. As someone with a graduate degree, I am not certain that adcoms look at individual graduate courses you've taken -- they certainly can, but I don't think they're considered relevant the way. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it now, so I would just apply and hope for the best. Good luck!

I agree with your concerns about that F. Even if asked for the explanation, you don't have an answer that reflects well on you. If you have enough As so that the F is compensated for, perhaps the subject won't come up.

Fortunately for you, you'll be judged primarily by your undergrad work, and a 3.67 is right at the mean for acceptees.