Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I need some encouragement from SDNers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SnudgeMuffin, Nov 9, 2001.

1. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay, here goes. I didn't want to post my ramblings and whinings. But I have had it. I know there are many people here applying this year all frustrated with waiting and I should be more positive since I am a junior and still have a chance to redeem myself as far as GPA and MCAT are concerned. But this semester is just sooooo frustrating. I, like many freshmen, had a problem academically during the three semesters here at Cornell and have been trying to pull up my GPA starting spring semester of sophomore year (I got 3.8 GPA last semester.), but I made a mistake of loading myself with advanced bio courses and it is killing my GPA this semester. I know it isn't over yet, but I don't see myself doing even close to last semester, hanging dearly onto all B+'s. This is not going to help my cum GPA of 3.3. Life sucks! :( My dream schools are Columbia and Yale, but I guess I gotta kiss them good-bye. Any advice or encouragement will be very much appreciated... :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

snudge-
    hang in there and my advice is just do the best that you can and stop worrying about your grades. Study as hard as you can and then just go with whatever happens. Also, schools look at what classes you are taking and take that also into account. And don't forget to also remember that life is much more than just school. I definitely did not have anything near a 3.8, but was a Neuroscience major, had a very competative MCAT, did research and had a ton great extracurriculars. I don't have any connections and am a white female. I thought I wouldn't have a chance at some of the top schools, but I just found out this week that I got into Case and Hopkins!
    This is hope for anyone who does not have perfect stats. Schools really are looking at you as a person- very refreshing and encouraging. Remeber to keep grades in perspective and that there are many great schools out there. It is just finding your fit. Hang in there and relax- it can make all of the difference.

4. slptodoc

slptodoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Snudgemuffin,
    First of all, keep your chin up! You do have time and you CAN do it! I agree with SeekingMD, many of the schools are looking for well rounded people not just a bunch of 4.0 students.

Is there anyway to modify your courseload for next semester so you are not so overwhelmed? Can you possibly take the second semester of one or two of the classes either in the summer or next fall?
    Just something to think about.

One of the docs I work with told me that his admissions director told him to take a semester with a couple of courses for enjoyment (like art, music.....) He went to a top med school and they liked that he had some interesting courses intertwined amongst the tough curriculum classes.

Also, remember that the schools will also see that you've improved, gotten your act together and that you've chosen some tough course work as you matured....that will look good for you.

Most people have a "freshman not-so-steller" experience......, priorities change as you mature! They know that, they were probably there themselves!
    Bottom line, DON'T give up on your dreams of those schools, but also, don't get completely hung up on them!

One of the docs joked with me at work the other day and said
    "What do you get when a med student
    finishes last in his class?"
    Answer: A doctor! :)

GOOD luck!
    L :)

5. Aoshi

Aoshi Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't worry Snudge...Cornell seems to enjoy breaking the spirits of pre-meds...don't give them the satisfaction of getting you down. You can still pull up your GPA and make sure your extracurriculars show med schools something that grades can't. A good GPA is great to have, but it's not the only thing they look for.
    Maybe I'll see you on campus...I'm a senior at Cornell. =)

6. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanx for all the encouragement :). I guess I just needed to vent my feelings a little bit. You guys are awesome and wish you many good lucks on your application process.

7. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are actually in better standing than I was after my third semester at cornell.. I had a 3.0 GPA, but then I realized I had to choose my classes intelligently and not kill myself with too many unnecessary hard science classes filled with premeds. Also, choosing a concentration that interests you really helps.