i need some guidance in field of podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subrun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a MBBS dergree holder residing in Mauritius and I'm completing my internship to get my registration at the medical council of Mauritius itself. After that, I wish to specialize in podiatry. Do I have to start anew to become podiatrist or is it possible to specialize as DPM with background MBBS? if possible where

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you will need to attend Podiatry school in the US to be eligible for Podiatric Surgical residency program in the US. With your MBBS degree, you will be able to enter Podiatry school with advanced standing (meaning that they will give you credit for the basic science courses and you will not need to attend 4 years of Podiatry school to get the DPM degree). The advanced standing will vary with each Podiatry school. Once you are in the last year of Podiatry school and you have passed the necessary APMLE board exams, you will be able to apply for the various Podiatric Surgery residency programs. The residency programs are 3 years in length (with a few programs 4 years in length). Some people also pursue fellowships after finishing their residency training and before heading into practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, you will need to attend Podiatry school in the US to be eligible for Podiatric Surgical residency program in the US. With your MBBS degree, you will be able to enter Podiatry school with advanced standing (meaning that they will give you credit for the basic science courses and you will not need to attend 4 years of Podiatry school to get the DPM degree). The advanced standing will vary with each Podiatry school. Once you are in the last year of Podiatry school and you have passed the necessary APMLE board exams, you will be able to apply for the various Podiatric Surgery residency programs. The residency programs are 3 years in length (with a few programs 4 years in length). Some people also pursue fellowships after finishing their residency training and before heading into practice.

Do you know of anyone who has gone through with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. Was this at NYCPM?
Hi. I'm from WUCPM and currently doing residency, I only did 2 years because I took USMLEs ( requirements from school ). Let me know if you need additional information. Please read all topics here before making decision ( I didn't know about this forum before)

Hi. I'm from WUCPM and currently doing residency, I only did 2 years because I took USMLEs ( requirements from school ). Let me know if you need additional information.
Did you switch from US medical school or are you an IMG/FMG?

Please read all topics here before making decision ( I didn't know about this forum before)
What do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.