I need some help/opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shatani

Real Life Doctory Type
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i may have an opportunity to create a position for myself at a residential addictions treatment facility.

the position would be mostly (if not totally) assessment. they are wanting to have a psychologist do some cognitive and personality assessment with each of the clients who come in for treatment.

my head is kinda spinning....im kind of excited and kind of scared! :laugh: what kinds of questions would you ask if you were looking at a task such as this? what do you think you would need?

is it wrong that im most psyched about being able to buy lots of assessments and scoring software and such? cuz i am!

what i know so far is that the facility has a capacity of 60 clients but they arent at capacity. they also might want me to keep a small case load or do some groups. it would be just me, although there might be an opportunity for me to take on interns to supervise and train. i told them that they would have to commit to being APA accredited in that case because it would be useless to the interns if they werent.

okay, so what else am i missing? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

so, i may have an opportunity to create a position for myself at a residential addictions treatment facility.

the position would be mostly (if not totally) assessment. they are wanting to have a psychologist do some cognitive and personality assessment with each of the clients who come in for treatment.

my head is kinda spinning....im kind of excited and kind of scared! :laugh: what kinds of questions would you ask if you were looking at a task such as this? what do you think you would need?

is it wrong that im most psyched about being able to buy lots of assessments and scoring software and such? cuz i am!

what i know so far is that the facility has a capacity of 60 clients but they arent at capacity. they also might want me to keep a small case load or do some groups. it would be just me, although there might be an opportunity for me to take on interns to supervise and train. i told them that they would have to commit to being APA accredited in that case because it would be useless to the interns if they werent.

okay, so what else am i missing? thanks in advance!

I think I would question the rationale for "some cognitive and personality assessment with each of the clients who come in for treatment." This does not seem like the most efficient use of a limited resource, IMHO. I think that would only be useful if it is beneficial to, and implemented in their treatment in a very systematic way..and by experienced psychologists. But IDK really. Whats the literature say about this practice? Are you experienced with this population and their needs? The neuropsychlogical effects of alcohol and substance abuse? Do you have experience using personality measures/assessment to meaningfully inform treatment planning? I ask the latter question because my experience is the most psychologists actually dont.

Last edited: