I need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinguinKinder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am in my last year in my program (it s a Developmental program although a lot of the work we do is Clinical). Anyways, I have not been happy here as the climate of the program is not what I expected and it has been really, really slow to get publications out. I have days when I hope it will get better and I'm thinking to stick around longer so I get at least 1 publications until graduation, but I also have days when I say 'forget it, just graduate." I want to stay in research and get a research post-doc and I am currently looking for programs, but I procrastinate updating my CV and asking for letters of recommendations b/c I'm worried I don't have enough publications (only 1 article and 1 chapter). Then again if I wait until I graduate, I'll have to apply next year and that will make me have 1 year gap between graduation and the post-doc. My advisor told me everyone who graduated from the program got what they wanted, but I don't know...

I'll appreciate any advice anyone can give on my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I only have 1 chapter and 1 article submitted. I feel discouraged because my relationship with my advisor although good, I cannot say it is what one would expect from a mentor-mentee relationship. Maybe I expect to much..

One specific situation that I am dealing with now is that I want to work on a second paper that builds somewhat on the first. I sent my advisor a draft and got feedback on it. However, the advisor suggested that we meet to work on it together, which is a good thing because no matter how much I try or think I got it right, it still isn't right. I'm at the point where I'm okay getting this extra help. She asked me yesterday when I would like to meet and it seems the only day available for the entire next week for her is Monday (when I'm swamped with clinical work). I gave 2 times when I can meet, but haven't heard back. I'm confussed b/c I don't know if to continue with the paper or not because it seems to 'contradict' the first and I have the feeling that this second paper should have been the 'easy', first one, and then the one I submitted the second. I feel I'm stuck and unproductive.