Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

I need some input from current students...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by acrunchyfrog, Mar 14, 2007.

1. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is a science degree more important than majoring in something that you would do better in but might look weaker "on paper"?

I'm a bio major now. I've still got a couple years of coursework left and in addition to a full time class load I'm working 40+ hours a week. To be honest, I like some of the bio stuff, but I"m considering changing to a "Natural Science Composite" Major. It's a baccalaureat program that combines bio with chem, geology, and some other programs that my college offers.
    In the end I'll still be completing all the coursework I need for admissions with either degree. The NatSci degree coursework allows me to continue to work as I have been (and for the sake of this posting we'll assume that quitting or cutting back on work are not options).

What should I do? Grind it out with bio, or move to something that would allow me to concnetrate more on the classes needed for admissions?

Thanks much for all help, and if you need more info please ask.

Tom

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was a health science major and only had the bare prerequisites for chem/bio/physics, I had alot of classes thare pertinent to what I am actually learning in med school(pharm, physio, anatomy(with a cadaver lab), biomechanics....), but that doesn't help you with the MCAT or getting into med school.. Some of my friends here have majors ranging from economics, to spanish, religious studies, philosophy. As long as you can do something and get good grades, if you enjoy it more than all bio, then go ahead. However, will having more bio classes make the MCAT prep easier...you would think, but if you retain all of the info from the prereq classes, taking advanced bio and chem that is beyond the scope of the mcat may not really give you an advantage on that test......Not sure exactly what I am trying to say. Just wanted to offer anecdotal evidence that you don't have to be a bio major to get in. I'm not sure anyone can offer you an evidence based answer on it will make it more difficult or not to get into med school, just their subjective opinion or stories about friends they have who do whatever it is they did. Good Luck with everything.

3. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Majoring in something you actually enjoy means more than majoring in Biology. I had three degrees because I liked what I was majoring in. To tell you the truth, when someone walks in with a major that is different than the usual, it grabs attention.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gubernaculum07

Gubernaculum07 New Member

My advice to all pre-med students:
    Pick a a major that will allow you to graduate with the highest possible GPA while allowing you to complete the prerequisites (as electives if need be).

If you excel at chemistry, be a chem major. If you are stronger in sociology, go with that. Just be sure to keep both the science and overall GPA ~3.5 or above.

In addition to coursework, seek out medically-related volunteer or work experiences.

Research is always encouraged.

5. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know how it is for other schools, this is just what was told to us at NYCOM. Our current Dean has said something along the lines of, "The days of art-history majors being accepted at NYCOM are over." Another words, supposedly, NYCOM is starting to look down upon non-science majors. I have no idea what the feeling is at other schools, but our school seems to be moving more towards science majors only; at least that is what they are telling us.

6. Founder

2+ Year Member

Maybe it is just my perception but the MCAT really didn't seem to have much advanced science on it.

If you can ace physics, calculus, general bio and genetics, and general chemistry and organic chemistry, and you're a decent writer and can comprehend what you are reading then you'd do fine on the MCAT no matter what major you were. In my opinion.