I need some MCAT words of wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cjc555777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm signed up for the Kaplan MCAT class and I just took my diagnostic. I got a 9 on the PS and BS but i failed really bad and got a 4 on the VR. I need some advice. What is the best way to prepare for this section? What have some of you found works the best for you in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to sound trite, but for verbal it's true. Practice, practice, practice. Do as many damn verbal sections as you can. Follow the Kaplan strategies and employ them into your practice. Also, Kaplan will be especially helpful because they put a TON of time into verbal, knowing that a lot of people struggle with it.

Do NOT panic. 9 on PS and BS is a great diagnostic score so those are your strengths. Now just put in the work on your verbal and bring it up to an 8-9 at minimum over the course of Kaplan and you'll be fine!

Don't worry about it, I got like a 26 on the diagnostic and ended up with a 40T. For one (and they won't tell you this), I'm not totally sure it's not a little bit rigged so you always do better on you next test than you did on the diagnostic (creating the illusion of improvement). Obviously you'll need to get that VR score up, but knowing your weakness is a great asset; you'll be able to study much more efficiently.

And, as above, practice, practice, practice. There are some metaskills involved, especially in the VR. Once you start to learn how the MCAT works, you'll start intuiting better answers for VR. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys! I was just curious though, all you did was verbal passage after verbal passage? I've heard of some people reading things daily like the economist? Did any of you do anything like this or was it mostly just verbal passages?

don't stop believing

Even though I know you were half-joking, this is true! Your confidence throughout your study time is really important. It's important not only to doing well on test day itself, but it's really important to be confident and positive while you are studying the material...even if that amounts to just being positive about knowing you can eventually finish everything.