I need Some Medical School Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabrielsf31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, am hoping someone can help me out. I'am a Pre med student with about 10 credits left to graduate. I have an overall GPA of 2.7 and 3.3 overall GPA for my science requirements. I really want to go to med school. I was thinking that my best chance would have to be outside the states.

Can anyone tell me of a school out side the states that is a credited in the states , that might accept me ?

I did a few test runs on my MCAt's and i got an average of 25. I will be taking them in Jan. for the first time, when they come out computerized.

Should i stay in school to raise my GPA or should i just i apply once i get my MCAT scores to a school. I just dont want to waist time raising my GPA, if ther is a school that might accept me.

I really hope i hear some advise. Thank you Members

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on getting your MCAT score up ( you have plenty of time to do so before the Jan. MCAT) and try to boost your GPA with you remaining credits. If you do so, you should be competitive for the 2008 application cycle.

thank you man,

I was trying to find out , what is the average for the MCAT scores... that schools are looking at

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you man,

I was trying to find out , what is the average for the MCAT scores... that schools are looking at

While there are no "cut-offs", the average score for accepted students is 30 (10s in each subject). The average for all MCAT takers was 25.6 last April. 30 is a good number to shoot for, although it's not the end of the world if you don't get it.

If your remaining credits do not raise your GPA enough, have you considered post-bach courses? Also, have you considered Osteopathic med schools at all?

yea i have consider the Post Coarse, but Barry is the only one down here that offers it and they want a 3.0 GPA and a 25 Mcat score to get in. For that i apply to medical in the caribbean. I really want to go MD, but do you know the average Gpa's and MCAT scores for an OD?

yea i have consider the Post Coarse, but Barry is the only one down here that offers it and they want a 3.0 GPA and a 25 Mcat score to get in. For that i apply to medical in the caribbean. I really want to go MD, but do you know the average Gpa's and MCAT scores for an OD?

Osteopaths are known as DO's, but I think there is something called an OD, I'm just not exactly sure what.

Anyway, I have the US News and World Report book that gives stats for schools. I'll give you a sample of some of the DO averages.

College of Osteopathic Med. of the Pacific - Average MCAT for Fall 2003 was an 8.6 for each section, so that is about a 26. The average GPA is 3.38.

Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine - MCAT is 7.6 (About a 23. The GPA is 3.39

UMDNJ - MCAT is 8.7 and the GPA is 3.50

Thanks man, your right its DO's i made a mistake. Hey is there and magzines or resources that pre med student look at that I should start looking into

i would work like hell to raise that MCAT to 30s then go volunteer some place and do something meaningful. As far as you GPA goes, were there any extenuating circumstances that caused your GPA to be where it's at? Because if you feel like you're struggling to meet the reqs in college, it might not be that different in med school.

Thanks man, your right its DO's i made a mistake. Hey is there and magzines or resources that pre med student look at that I should start looking into

I recommend that US News and World Report Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools book I mentioned, as well as the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book.

Look at this for DO schools. http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/

Aside form that, I suggest just looking at various school web sites.

Perhaps there are other useful sources others here can point to as well.

Yea, I fell out of school because i opened up a company . I tried to manage both but as you can see, it was not a good idea. I hate to sound cocky about my science talents. But for some reason it all comes to me like nothing. I barely studied, but i did attend to class. I feel like i wish i could do it all again, and just study more. But no its to late... I know being a Dr. is all i want, and i will do anything to get there. I study with a few medical students now and then, i dont feel like they have much on me. PLus i am trying to leave the states, that way i have no home town distractions, that why am looking into a school outside the United States. Has any one heard about St Mat. in the Grand Caymen?

So what do you suggest? I dont want it to be a quick fix, I just want to be a Doctor