I need some motivation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkg12388

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I need your help. I'm currently a senior pre-med finance major. I'm strongly involved with extracurriculars on my campus, but my shadowing and research experience is a little weak at the moment. I'm taking next year off in the hopes of getting involved with AmeriCorps or a research/shadowing job at a nearby hospital. While I'm waiting to hear back, I'm prepping for the MCAT and working on my personal statement.

As I sat down to start getting some thoughts down for the personal statement, I was unsure of where to really go with the essay. I was wondering if you all could give some advice or things to think about to get started. From some PS's that I've read, I noticed that a lot of students enjoy talking about various research experiences or mind-blowing shadowing experiences. Would it be appropriate to talk about an extracurricular that has a had strong influence in my decision to pursue medicine?

Thanks for your help in advance. And good luck to all applying for 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDNers,

I need your help. I'm currently a senior pre-med finance major. I'm strongly involved with extracurriculars on my campus, but my shadowing and research experience is a little weak at the moment. I'm taking next year off in the hopes of getting involved with AmeriCorps or a research/shadowing job at a nearby hospital. While I'm waiting to hear back, I'm prepping for the MCAT and working on my personal statement.

As I sat down to start getting some thoughts down for the personal statement, I was unsure of where to really go with the essay. I was wondering if you all could give some advice or things to think about to get started. From some PS's that I've read, I noticed that a lot of students enjoy talking about various research experiences or mind-blowing shadowing experiences. Would it be appropriate to talk about an extracurricular that has a had strong influence in my decision to pursue medicine?

Thanks for your help in advance. And good luck to all applying for 2011.

OF COURSE! I am not an expert on applying to medical school by any means, but my experience has been that the admissions committees are looking for someone who is not just checking off boxes on a list of "activities that will get me into medical school". There are many things that can drive your motivation- the more unique the better! I think that is one mistake a lot of premeds make. They end up doing what they think they "have to do" rather than things they want to do and that they're passionate about. I am sure a lack of genuineness in an application is very transparent to admissions committees (I am saying this because I advise premeds at my school and it is extremely apparent to me!)

I will gladly share my AMCAS with you if you want an example to work from. I am not an ideal candidate, but I did do lots of unique ECs. Let me know :)

Definitely appropriate. The overriding theme should be "I want to be a doctor because..."