Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I need some quick advice please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Japika, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Japika

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am already a senior, and wasn't planning on going to medical school until recently (was accepted to law school). I have a few more courses to take, like public speaking, two more three hour bio courses, and another bio lab. However, since I decided to go to medical school, I need to take the MCAT, which I am in a course for right now, and taking the exam in April, so the courses I do this semester will overlap with the MCAT studying. I also need to take the three hour Organic Chem lab, and the four hour Human Biochem Lab.

The Organic Chem Lab is offered every semester, including the summer.
    The Human Biochem lab is offered in the Fall and Spring.

Up until today, I thought my schedule was set, however I found out my Human Biochem lab overlapped with my Immunology Lab.

Immunology is only offered in the Spring, and I don't want to miss out on the chance to take it.

I am going to take public speaking, biomedical physics 2, immunology lecture (three hours) and immunology lab (one hour). But I need to find another three hours to be full time at 13 hours.

My choices are

Vertebrate Phys (three hours bio course) (told it is hard, but I have yet to have a problem with the "hard" course) and it only meets two days a week for 1 hour.

Human Bio Chem (four hours) which meets four days a week, for 1 hour each time.

Organic Chemistry Lab (three hours) which meets for like 5 hours on Tuesday, then another hour on Tuesday, then another 4 hours on Thursday.

Now given, I have the go ahead to just do another year, (5th year senior), so I can just graduate in the spring of 2010. Which should I take, Vert Phys, a class required to graduate, then Ochem in the summer and bio chem in the fall.
    Ochem then another bio class in the summer then bio chem in the fall.
    or
    Bio Chem, then O chem in the summer, then another bio class in the fall?

Given, I am also studying for the MCATs, and plan on putting in a lot of time for it.

Should I worry about completing the two medical school required courses as soon as possible or can I just wait till Summer and then Fall, given I will be eligible for graduation at the end of this spring.

2. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I recommend you have organic chem and all of your basic pre-reqs before you take the MCAT. You would better serve yourself by taking organic chem just prior to the MCAT so it is fresh in your mind. Biochem would certainly help to have before also.

Remember that you should be taking the MCAT ASAP during the summer so you can get your scores back and apply. It is best if you have your basic pre-reqs done (Like organic chem) before applying. Since you apply in June/July you are going to need to get as much done as possible. Do you really need immunology? Sure it's an interesting course but certainly not required. If anything have you had microbiology? That would be a whole lot more useful for the MCAT/medical school. Biochem and organic chem have much higher importance than immunology. I also highly recommend phys prior to the MCAT to help you since that is a large chunk of the MCAT.

Why April? How long does it take to get your score back these days? I'd say if your MCAT score is available by sometime in June you are golden but if you don't have enough time to study during school it is a mistake to take it so early. Why not take it in May and make sure you have your LORs ready for your secondaries when they come and essays ready since that is usually the limiting factor in the application process.

3. Japika

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Very good points.

I have done every other medicine related biology course except for maybe Molecular Biology (which isn't offered till next fall - and I was full with classes last fall). But I do plan on taking that in the fall so....

I took O Chem 1 and 2 and got A's in both, however this school has a system where it makes o chem lab its own course.
    O chem lab is in fact required by medical schools so =/. I won't be applying till the summer, so it shouldn't be a issue taking the lab in the summer right?

Beyond that, I came up with one other option. However, my school has some slim pickings for lab courses. I can drop Immunology lab, and Vert phys, and keep bio chem.

Leaving me with Human Biochemistry (4 Hours), Immunology Lecture (3 Hours), Biomedical Physics 2 (3 Hours), Public Speaking (3 Hours) for a total of 13 hours.

I have taken both physics courses.

Do you think that, that is too much for a MCAT study semester? I really don't want to take vert phys.

The MCAT is in April because of the time frame for my MCAT prep course.

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took 18 credits plus research and TAing the semester I studied for my April MCAT. It was a mistake and I don't recommend it. I didn't get very much sleep and my courses were pretty difficult. You never did say why you have to have immunology right now. Take it next year and take something else that is more relevant. The only immunology you need for the MCAT is probably the structure of an antibody and perhaps some basic hematology of white blood cells that should be covered in your phys course. Consider the phys course as MCAT prep as it will probably prepare you well. FYI, you only have 2.5-3 weeks of immunology in medical school. I don't mean to steer you away from immunology in undergrad but I know it is a very difficult course. I actually specialized in Micro and never had to take immunology but still. Micro would be more important for med school and the MCAT. But I would recommend the phys course for the upcoming semester and that would be enough.

5. Japika

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I need immunology to graduate.

Any other have any suggestions?

#5 Japika, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. Japika

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    anybody else, please?

What courses should I take this semester?