I need someone to save me from this!! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daniel2311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys i just registered here this is my first post. I hope you guys before you read what i have to say take into consideration that everything you say will affect me.. I am seriously in a frustration period and desperate for a wise help.. It may seem to you that maybe its not that bad.. but it really got me good please help me I am desperate.. It would be nice if you read my article carefully before giving me advices.. Thanks.. :")

So long story short I live outside the uk and I am already accepted in "dental school" actually im in the third year now only couple of years remaining till my graduation cause where i live dent school takes 5 years and med school takes 6 years. Also education is free here so I dont have any debt. So my problem is i got accepted in med school and dent school but i chosed to pursue dent i was 18 by the time i made that choice now im 21. I made that choice with little knowledge about actually the difference between dent school and med school i didnt really think that there were a difference I thought they were both actually ''Doctors'' if you know what I mean? The thing is when people started saying like ''oh man you really left med school for dent school etc" you know that bull**** and every now and then people tell me you are not a real doctor. That really destroyed my motivation about dental school like 50%. You know i thought at the beginning there were no difference between the two schools in prestige and how community respect them i thought it was equal! I know guys many of you will think im so silly and kid to think about a career for the amount of prestige it carries but seriously its stuck in my mind that i did a bad decision and I am not studying for my exams anymore due to my mental status right now.. idk what to do i feel stuck in that idea that i am pursuing a useless career that not respected like med career. Though I liked dental school what made me choose it was it really fits my life style i like to have a good salary and a good schedule and I shadowed dentists and shadowed meds but i liked to be a dentist way more I am really not into the med school life style if you know what I mean. Now alot of you guys will tell me so if you like the work of a dentist you shouldn't pursue med school and stick to dent school. But the truth about me is i wouldn't have gone in dent school path if i thought they weren't equal in social status with doctors even though i liked it. I know i got a $!%@ up personality to think like that but i tried to change that feeling through that 3 years of dental school but I cant. I still can pursue med school after dent school though just to obtain the degree.. Guys please have patient on me you don't know how frustrated I am. The feeling of regret is consuming the best out of me I really need help from you. I need you all read my words with heart like I am your brother and give me advice that "FITS" my personality type that would somehow make me start studying again to even just finish what i started because I think its too late to quit now right ? It would only be waste i mean i dont feel like quitting but i just need to satisfy my self just to keep going... PLEASE I NEED ALL YOUR ADVICES... I will read all the replies carefully thanks! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello guys i just registered here this is my first post. I hope you guys before you read what i have to say take into consideration that everything you say will affect me.. I am seriously in a frustration period and desperate for a wise help.. It may seem to you that maybe its not that bad.. but it really got me good please help me I am desperate.. It would be nice if you read my article carefully before giving me advices.. Thanks.. :")

So long story short I live outside the uk and I am already accepted in "dental school" actually im in the third year now only couple of years remaining till my graduation cause where i live dent school takes 5 years and med school takes 6 years. My problem is i got accepted in med school and dent school but i chosed to pursue dent i was 18 by the time i made that choice now im 21. I made that choice with little knowledge about actually the difference between dent school and med school i didnt really think that there were a difference I thought they were both actually ''Doctors'' if you know what I mean? The thing is when people started saying like ''oh man you really left med school for dent school etc" you know that bull**** and every now and then people tell me you are not a real doctor. That really destroyed my motivation about dental school like 50%. You know i thought at the beginning there were no difference between the two schools in prestige and how community respect them i thought it was equal! I know guys many of you will think im so silly and kid to think about a career for the amount of prestige it carries but seriously its stuck in my mind that i did a bad decision and I am not studying for my exams anymore due to my mental status right now.. idk what to do i feel stuck in that idea that i am pursuing a useless career that not respected like med career. Though I liked dental school what made me choose it was it really fits my life style i like to have a good salary and a good schedule and I shadowed dentists and shadowed meds but i liked to be a dentist way more I am really not into the med school life style if you know what I mean. Now alot of you guys will tell me so if you like the work of a dentist you shouldn't pursue med school and stick to dent school. But the truth about me is i wouldn't have gone in dent school path if i thought they weren't equal in social status with doctors even though i liked it. I know i got a $!%@ up personality to think like that but i tried to change that feeling through that 3 years of dental school but I cant. I still can pursue med school after dent school though just to obtain the degree.. Guys please have patient on me you don't know how frustrated I am. The feeling of regret is consuming the best out of me I really need help from you. I need you all read my words with heart like I am your brother and give me advice that "FITS" my personality type that would somehow make me start studying again to even just finish what i started because I think its too late to quit now right ? It would only be waste i mean i dont feel like quitting but i just need to satisfy my self just to keep going... PLEASE I NEED ALL YOUR ADVICES... I will read all the replies carefully thanks! <3
... just go to dental school. Lifestyle wise, it's less stressful than medicine... medicine is a different world, and I'm only in my thirds year of med school. If it's what you've wanted to do and you like it from what you've seen shadowing and have read about what it takes to graduate/etc., Just do it. Medicine I think in the UK is longer, too compared to the US... Honestly, set prestige aside... With time, hopefully you'll come to realize it matters less and less... With medicine, you'll be studying forever until you decide to retire... It's always changing. Not nearly as much with dentistry. Medicine is not easy, so you have to be willing to put up with the work... Also if you're looking into medicine to make money, run away. You make money at some point, yes, but unless you have money to pay for med school/scholarships, you'll be in debt for a while... Money comes with time and varies based on specialty. Do what you like! If someone told me they'd pay off my school loans and take care of my parents/brothers financially, tbh idk if I'd still choose medicine... Didn't really go into it for the money, although the first thing I plan to do when I hopefully graduate and start to make money in a fee years is pay loans and mom's hospital bills.
The point is, whatever you decide to do, make sure that you know what you're getting yourself into and that for either, it's hard work. Medicine is just bit harder imo (based on specialty of course).

;Tldr just do dentistry if that's what you've really wanted to do.
Congrats on your acceptances.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

You need to do some serious self reflection and figure out what your motivations are. If the social status and prestige are this important to you, you'll hate your life whether you're a dentist or a physician, and you'll probably hurt innocent patients by giving them less than the best care.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
... just go to dental school. Lifestyle wise, it's less stressful than medicine... medicine is a different world, and I'm only in my thirds year of med school. If it's what you've wanted to do and you like it from what you've seen shadowing and have read about what it takes to graduate/etc., Just do it. Medicine I think in the UK is longer, too compared to the US... Honestly, set prestige aside... With time, hopefully you'll come to realize it matters less and less... With medicine, you'll be studying forever until you decide to retire... It's always changing. Not nearly as much with dentistry. Medicine is not easy, so you have to be willing to put up with the work... Also if you're looking into medicine to make money, run away. You make money at some point, yes, but unless you have money to pay for med school/scholarships, you'll be in debt for a while... Money comes with time and varies based on specialty. Do what you like! If someone told me they'd pay off my school loans and take care of my parents/brothers financially, tbh idk if I'd still choose medicine... Didn't really go into it for the money, although the first thing I plan to do when I hopefully graduate and start to make money in a fee years is pay loans and mom's hospital bills.
The point is, whatever you decide to do, make sure that you know what you're getting yourself into and that for either, it's hard work. Medicine is just bit harder imo (based on specialty of course).

;Tldr just do dentistry if that's what you've really wanted to do.
Congrats on your acceptances.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using
In my country education is free, so i dont have to take debt into consideration. so you are telling me to finish dentistry?

You need to do some serious self reflection and figure out what your motivations are. If the social status and prestige are this important to you, you'll hate your life whether you're a dentist or a physician, and you'll probably hurt innocent patients by giving them less than the best care.

Can you give me more details? cause not a day go on without me thinking about what if I would've gone into medicine i would've finally felt fulfilled and satisfied about my social status part :(

Can you give me more details? cause not a day go on without me thinking about what if I would've gone into medicine i would've finally felt fulfilled and satisfied about my social status part :(
What you've described is a lack of confidence and self-awareness that approaches a pathological level. You're psychologically tormenting yourself because you're so concerned about others' perceptions that you have no respect for yourself. Get counseling ASAP to figure out why you're so concerned about the approval of strangers.

Reactions: 8 users
You honestly have no business in either dentistry or medicine. Your sole motivation is prestige and status, you can't form coherent sentences, and not once in your self-absorbed rant did you mention patient care.

Stick with dentistry, clean teeth from 9-4, make good money. You have no place and will be crushed by the rigors and demands of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
You honestly have no business in either dentistry or medicine. Your sole motivation is prestige and status, you can't form coherent sentences, and not once in your self-absorbed rant did you mention patient care.

Stick with dentistry, clean teeth from 9-4, make good money. You have no place and will be crushed by the rigors and demands of medical school.
I really appreciate how honest you are with me.. i mean i feel satisfied when someone tell me the reality of my **** up mind and personality lol thanks for your advice anyways

Reactions: 1 user
Any one have more advices for me ? viewers to replies ratio tho lol

I don't think ppl are replying because there's not much more they can say... you already know ppl are gonna advise you to stick with dentistry if you actually like it which you do and you CHOSE to pursue it over medicine, the only thing that's bothering you right now is the prestige... first of all do you think patients are going to bow down when they see you? get on their knees and kiss the very ground you walk upon or something? you'll get spit on, cussed at, hit, pissed on, and a whole lot of other stuff as a physician... what happens when you realize that medicine isn't as prestigious and respected by every one as you once thought? you're going to wish to be a hollywood actor or something? the cycle will continue my friend until you stop equating your happiness to the approval of others... as people above have mentioned, get help

I really appreciate how honest you are with me.. i mean i feel satisfied when someone tell me the reality of my **** up mind and personality lol thanks for your advice anyways
Take a chill pill and stick with dentistry. It's a very respectable profession.

Take a chill pill and stick with dentistry. It's a very respectable profession.

agreed... who is telling you dentistry isn't respectable or aren't "real" doctors?? lol

I don't think ppl are replying because there's not much more they can say... you already know ppl are gonna advise you to stick with dentistry if you actually like it which you do and you CHOSE to pursue it over medicine, the only thing that's bothering you right now is the prestige... first of all do you think patients are going to bow down when they see you? get on their knees and kiss the very ground you walk upon or something? you'll get spit on, cussed at, hit, pissed on, and a whole lot of other stuff as a physician... what happens when you realize that medicine isn't as prestigious and respected by every one as you once thought? you're going to wish to be a hollywood actor or something? the cycle will continue my friend until you stop equating your happiness to the approval of others... as people above have mentioned, get help
when i said prestige its kind of a metaphor to say that physicians are looked up to more than dentists even in tv shows i know i sounds silly but who makes a tv show about a dentist? eh.. i know it sounds so dumb but im just trying to make clarify what is inside my head man thats all.. thanks for your reply though i really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed... who is telling you dentistry isn't respectable or aren't "real" doctors?? lol
i don't know man people make it feel like dentists are less than physicians and it got to me because i had the opportunity to be a physician.. they say like dentists are the "wannabe" doctors etc.. the issue is im not sure anymore what is true and what is not idk man.. meanwhile i feel childish and stupid too though i am so smart lol but i think intelligence is not everything..

Prestige shouldn't matter when both jobs are excellent options. Furthermore, from what I understand in the UK, residency is quite long for medicine, with Jr. doctor, etc. Stick with dentistry. Be happy

when i said prestige its kind of a metaphor to say that physicians are looked up to more than dentists even in tv shows i know i sounds silly but who makes a tv show about a dentist? eh.. i know it sounds so dumb but im just trying to make clarify what is inside my head man thats all.. thanks for your reply though i really appreciate it

You’re basing your career, and patients’ well-being, on how people are portrayed on tv? Are you sure you’re an adult who deserves the privilege of working with any patients, dental or medical?
I couldn’t agree with @Goro more, he’s being harsh but it’s what you need to hear.
No one is going to teach you how to be confident in your choices. We aren’t your parents. We don’t know your personality from a single post. But we can all see that you have a very messed up approach to this situation. I agree with the need for self-reflection. Don’t look to others to answer this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You’re basing your career, and patients’ well-being, on how people are portrayed on tv? Are you sure you’re an adult who deserves the privilege of working with any patients, dental or medical?
I couldn’t agree with @Goro more, he’s being harsh but it’s what you need to hear.
No one is going to teach you how to be confident in your choices. We aren’t your parents. We don’t know your personality from a single post. But we can all see that you have a very messed up approach to this situation. I agree with the need for self-reflection. Don’t look to others to answer this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using
I've been in this for 3 years. Unfortunately, self reflection didn't work with me so i finally decided to reach out for help cause well my family isn't that good at taking decisions either so i thought the best place to share this with others is with you guys and i totally appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using

and actually about basing my career on how character's are portrayed on tv, it's like you know when people wanna be footballers because they seem like stars? I think thats why im thinking about it this way because they seem to make physicians so important and people by saying the **** i mentioned before it all got under my skin.. specially I think I am the type of a guy who picks something on how important it seems to society i think?

Baby I got yo back like we still 17

Bc in school one of my boys would come home around 5:30p everyday and just sleep and play video games. Graduated after 4 years, started making 200K+, finally stopped messin around w/ girls and found the 1 and got married a couple years later. Meanwhile I'm decaying on nights slowly, this dude is paid, has a house, starting his family.

Believe me you're the kind of person who would not be happier in medicine. If you think life goals include the status of your job (not much better than dentistry), you're not the person focused on the things that will actually make you happy. It's like the people who rationalize wasting the prime of their life for an end goal (like medicine) without enjoying the ride, making relationships with friends/significant others, doing interesting/fun things. They finally get to their end goal, and then they're depressed as **** because it was not as great as they built it up in their mind. When you're a doctor there isn't any red carpet or some ****. Get the hell out of school, start working, and make friends and get a girlfriend or boyfriend, whatever floats your boat or better yet start doing that now. If you got that **** now, you'll forget about the pecking order of medicine v. dentistry pretty quickly

Sounds convincing, but can i ask why you do it if if you feel like that about it? I am curious

and actually about basing my career on how character's are portrayed on tv, it's like you know when people wanna be footballers because they seem like stars? I think thats why im thinking about it this way because they seem to make physicians so important and people by saying the **** i mentioned before it all got under my skin.. specially I think I am the type of a guy who picks something on how important it seems to society i think?

You need to understand those people who make those comments honestly don’t give a **** about dentist vs doctor. They’re just making 1 comment in the course of their day and probably for the rest of the entire year they might not ever even give it a single thought, yet here you are agonizing over it every second of your day.

You need to understand those people who make those comments honestly don’t give a **** about dentist vs doctor. They’re just making 1 comment in the course of their day and probably for the rest of the entire year they might not ever even give it a single thought, yet here you are agonizing over it every second of your day.

you seem smart dude, thanks for the help.

Finish dental school.

And god save the NHS.

Finish dental school.

And god save the NHS.
HAHAHAHAHA bro actually i may seem childish and basing a career on stupid things but when it comes to work i do my work perfect man i promise you that so don't worry about anything XD

Yeah, if he's more focused on prestige than patient care and honing his craft, let's keep him doing the little league stuff, like polishing teefies and also root canals and maxillary implants and alveolar bone grafting.