Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I need spiritual healing...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by StudentX, Apr 2, 2004.

1. I have been struggling with a lifelong health issue lately--namely depression and anxiety--and I am in need of healing. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get more spiritual/wholistic approach to healing.

Right now I'm on medical leave of absence because this has affected my studies, as you might have read in another Allopathic post.

I tried taking medications for the last year and a half, and I got on 3 major drugs that all failed to help me and worse gave me severe side effects -- Effexor made me bipolar and suicidal for eg.

Psychotherapy doesn't feel right for me, especially cognitive behavioral therapy if you're familiar with the different approaches.

In fact, I feel that this condition is a psychiatric manifestation of an even broader, deeper need on a spiritual level. Something I've suspected for a few years now. Accordingly, I feel I need to address my needs through a spiritual approach.

I've already tried prayer through my weak Christian background, but I want to try different takes to spirituality and healing. Think along the lines of Native American vision quests, solitude, connection to natural surroundings, and of course, the visions themselves.

Any suggestions? Thanks folks,

-X

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hypnosis/self-hypnosis with a trained therapist can be helpful.

Meditation and yoga.

Exercise

A bit unconventional - read the AA Big book and other AA books by Bill W. There is lots of good stuff geared toward how to take control of a situation that has made your life unmanageable by placing faith in a higher power.

Best of luck!

Feel free to PM me.

Deirdre

4. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

I agree with the previous user. I would just add that you may want to look into other types of therapy besides CBT. Among the different therapies, CBT has been shown to have one of the most favorable outcomes for depression in most studies, but certain types of patients benefit more from different types of therapy. Based on your post (ie looking for deeper meaning in things), you may benefit from something called psychoanalysis. Studies haven't been as favorable with psychoanalysis in the treatment of depression, but there are certain personality types that seem to benefit from it. Here is a link:
    http://www.apsa.org/pubinfo/about.htm

5. TweetyPie

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  6. Wups, sorry Tweetie! I haven't used PM's in a loong time....I'll check it out!
    -X

7. elperro

elperro Member
    7+ Year Member

check your PM

8. prophecy2

prophecy2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like someelse have suggested: Meditation and Yoga are good ideas. I also suggest picking up some spiritual books (there is a lot of that in your local bookstores) and you will need to take some "me time" for yourself. Kinda step back and evaluate your life more deeply and you will witness a big change. I do agree that you need therapy to guide you , but you certainly have to do most of the work by yourself. Believe me, it's like a full time job to attain peace of mind...as a matter of fact, it's a lifetime journey!
    Suffering is unavoidable but pain is optional (I think that's according to Buddhist philosophy)

If you are down for reading some spiritual /metaphysical books, I would reccommend three for you: "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron, "Stillness Speaks" by Eckhart Tolle, and "It's a meaningful Life" by Bo lozoff. These books are easy ready and you should be able to finish one in a day. You can also check out Conversation with God books by Wasch. Walsch's books are deeper tho

Good luck and I wish you the best,

proph...

9. prophecy2

prophecy2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like someelse have suggested: Meditation and Yoga are good ideas. I also suggest picking up some spiritual books (there is a lot of that in your local bookstores) and you will need to take some "me time" for yourself. Kinda step back and evaluate your life more deeply and you will witness a big change. I do agree that you need therapy to guide you , but you certainly have to do most of the work by yourself. Believe me, it's like a full time job to attain peace of mind...as a matter of fact, it's a lifetime journey!
    Suffering is unavoidable but pain is optional (I think that's according to Buddhist philosophy)

If you are down for reading some spiritual /metaphysical books, I would reccommend three for you: "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron, "Stillness Speaks" by Eckhart Tolle, and "It's a meaningful Life" by Bo lozoff. These books are easy ready and you should be able to finish one in a day. You can also check out Conversation with God books by Wasch. Walsch's books are deeper tho

Good luck and I wish you the best,

proph...

10. Thanks everyone for your insights and suggestions, I really
    appreciate it.

Yeah, meditation has been suggested to me from several health professionals too...I should give it a try (again)...i did breathing exercise during my soph. year, i think to relax me through O.chem and stuff, and it helped....i just need to get back to it.

I wish I could be better at reading books...it's so difficult for me to concentrate but I'll try my best.

I did meet a friend who is a med student and a Mexico-trained curandero (shaman) and he performed a healing rite on me, called a "limpia", and I think it relaxed me a lot...I feel much better than I have in months.

I feel that at this point, the spiritual approach is definitely the way to go...heck, I feel much better just thinking about this as a spiritual issue, because I am comforted by the power and mystery of spiritual healing.

Again, thanks friends for your concerns and suggestions,

-X

11. uclacrewdude

uclacrewdude the uclacrewdude abides
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you want the spiritual side, but think christianity isnt doing it, i suggest doing a quick review of the major religions.

the illustrated worlds religions, by huston smith
    very good overview of the major religions and their tenets. focuses less on statistical and real world data in favor of more of the essence of their spirituality. quick read and non-commital (ie, you wont be converted just by reading this book), and it covers all of them with an impressive level of balance. i suggest the illustrated version only b/c sometimes it helps convey the more spiritual side of things.

the world's wisdom, by phillip novak
    once youve read the first book, or perhaps simultaneously, read this one. also a survey of the major religions, it has excerpts from the religious texts preceded by short analyses on how those quotes are fundamental towards understanding that religion.

both of these books are good in that while being surveys, they do a lot better job of communicating why and how religious people hold their beliefs than any standard textbook. instead of just cataloguing the histories, atrocities/benefits, and modes of being religious, they look at the nature of the ideas and the core philosophies at the heart of the religions. though a morbidly atheistic recovering catholic, i found the books very insightful, almost romantic. i came away with a profound interest in taoism, and though i dont carry it as a religion by any means, it serves to recenter me when i just sit and think about the basic philosophy behind it (indeed, i think at times like these the eastern religions seem a little better than western religions b/c the latter ones tend to be more goal-oriented, whereas eastern religions, based on cyclical time rather than linear time, are naturally inclined towards a state of relaxation).

but you dont have to take my word for it.

12. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You might try Hakomi therapy or Rosen bodywork therapy. Both are mind-body oriented.

13. Akuffo

Akuffo An Old Folk
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Read your bible , pray everyday. The lord has all the answers to life's seemingly endless problems.
    Good luck:love:

14. prophecy2

prophecy2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey X,

What's the update, bro?

proph...

15. chirurgeon

Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :idea:

One more suggestion, if I may be so bold: if you're feeling dragged down by reading, try talking to various spiritual leaders in person. Most mid-size to major metropolises, especially those with medical schools, have the major religions represented. I went through a difficult phase during graduate school where I felt lost and explored my spirituality. Along the way, I went to a synagogue and talked with the rabbi; visited a Hindu temple with a co-worker; and even talked with a Wiccan. While I ultimately found my peace back with the faith of my fathers, these diverse experiences enriched me immensely and brought the faith much more to life than any book could.

I will say a prayer for you tonight...

16. SwingDoc

SwingDoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you tried accupuncture? They do a technique that can stimulate the frontal lobe which will feedback to the limbic system. If you feel less depressed you might be able to approach your other issues with a better frame of mind. I haven't tried this treatment in particular, but have been going for chronic neck pain (result of car accident). Works wonders. To all those that don't believe --- all I have to say is I really don't care how/if/why it works (or if it's the placebo effect)- all that matters is that I do feel better!! Acupuncture has been practiced for the last 5000 years, so there have been "some" who do believe and spend their lives practicing.

17. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When you said you have a hard time concentrating, it made me think that a good meditation tape/exercise would really help to "slow" things down a bit. It really helps my perspective when I feel like I'm not so frantic. I really like Brian Weiss, MD. He's got a few different ones, and I like his voice. I think it's really good that you are looking deeper to find a solution :) that's hard to do! Keep working - it'll work because you want to solve the problem :D

18. pedsid

pedsid Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm guessing there is some root to your problem, what's causing your anxiety, and I'm guessing you already know what it is (I might be wrong). You mentioned your weak Christian background. I would strongly suggest you find someone with to pray/talk with about this. If you used to go to church, why not find a church of the same denomination. I am certain that the pastor would be more than willing to meet with you and help you through this. I don't think it's as simple as just reading your Bible and poof all your problems are gone, but I do think that exploring what is causing the problems you are having as well as prayer, Bible reading, visiting with a local pastor would be a big help. I would atleast try it.

19. Kouzhontaco

Kouzhontaco New Member

You are correct in thinking that the spiritual road is the way to go. Unfortunately, you can be led down many wrong roads. The "Christianity" of America is not generally based upon a good spiritual education as much as a "we came here to ESCAPE Religion (persecution)" scenario.

I do not profess a lot of medical techno knowledge. I tend to regard a lot of it as prescribing one poison to counteract another. I prefer the holistic approach. Sometimes the most simple approach to a problem can be the best, particularly in the area of understanding. Suffice it to say that the human mind and body are somewhat accursed and one must make the best of it.

American Indians may not have done well with material and scientific developement in the past, however the knowledge of spiritual perspectives was once excellent.

In case simple insight might help, I offer this bit of spiritual history, (I am a bit eccentric, but a very honest and sincere person...not a nutcase).

http://www.geocities.com/apacheprince11/CHIEF.html