Feb 19, 2012
Status
Well, I'm halfway done with them and here's my grades so far:

Bio I - A
Bio II - A
Chem I - A
Chem II - A

10 week Physics I course in the summer.......I'm GUNNING for an A!!!

My Bio I and Chem I teachers have already agreed to write me a letter of reference for med school!!!

Back 5

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status

Bio I - A
Bio II - A
Chem I - A
Chem II - A

My Bio I and Chem I teachers have already agreed to write me a letter of reference for med school!!!
We must be on the same postbacc plan! I'm taking physics I this summer and Physics II and Orgo I in the Fall. MCAT expected March 2013.

With all that said, will adcoms look at 7 courses, 35 credits of 4.0 postbacc work as a solid upward trend, or are you still bound to your full undergrad gpa?

GimpGenius

5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With all that said, will adcoms look at 7 courses, 35 credits of 4.0 postbacc work as a solid upward trend, or are you still bound to your full undergrad gpa?
Short answer: Yes.

Long Answers: They'll see both. The upward trend is nice, but based on my experiences, that undergrad GPA is going to haunt you if it's too low (for whatever reason). MD schools seemed to be much more heavily focused on the undergrad portion of academics for me, even though UG was 5+ years ago; they didn't seem interested in my graduate or post-bacc courses at all (no discussion of that during the interview, even with an upward trend). DO schools were the exact opposite.

That being said, I interviewed at more DO schools than MD schools last cycle, so take that with a grain of salt. Either way, doing well in your core sciences isn't easy. Well done! :)

Chip N Sawbones

Ship's Carpenter
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
62 degrees North
Status
Non-Student
This semester:
Organic Chemistry II: A
Organic Chemistry lab: A
Physics II: A
Biology II: A

A good finish to a 38 credit informal postbac for a total postbac grade of four point oh-yeah.

However, all that work only raised my cGPA to a 3.14, so I guess I can't brag too loudly about my grades.

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
Nice work folks, still waiting on my finals to come back for grad school...

augeremt

7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Brag away! I just got my last post-bacc grades in today and I've been smiling all day.

52.5 credits of A and 3 credits of B (stupid biochem 1!) make for a very happy camper.

But like Chip N Sawbones, my cGPA is still at a pretty abysmal 3.10. College shenanigans have a way of catching up with you in the end.

Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student

Bio I - A
Bio II - A
Chem I - A
Chem II - A

fantastic job! :thumbup:

Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
This semester:
Organic Chemistry II: A
Organic Chemistry lab: A
Physics II: A
Biology II: A

A good finish to a 38 credit informal postbac for a total postbac grade of four point oh-yeah.

However, all that work only raised my cGPA to a 3.14, so I guess I can't brag too loudly about my grades.
Your cGPA is still higher than mine. Keep up the good work!