Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

I need to change my study habits next semester...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by SCDP, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SCDP

SCDP 2+ Year Member

I'm a freshman in college and first semester while I did good(A in gen Chem 1, B in Bio 1, A in psych, and A- in gen ed), I know that I got extremely lucky and doing what I did was miserable. I would take notes for class but not really pay attention or have any idea what's going on until I studied the night before. And even then, it was so hard to study and somehow I was able to just have the info in my head long enough to do well on the exams.

But obviously I didn't really learn too much but do remember some basics from bio and chem.

I need help and I need motivation to help me study every single day, study what I learned in class that day so I don't have to cram and have sleepless nights. I know that if I don't I'll be a failure and not go anywhere in life but still, those thoughts didn't work for me first semester and I still waited till the last moment and crammed.

I don't want to do that anymore but it's just so hard. I feel like I've had it so easy in life up to this point I don't realize the opportunity I have and I am not taking advantage of it. I am really scared for next semester because I need to change how I study and how often but it's just so damn hard to do so, especially when waiting till the last day to study has gotten me a 3.8 in college including chem 1, bio 1, calc 1/2 and some other gen ends.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You know what you need to do so go out and do it! Maybe find a good study friend with similar goals as you so that you guys can hit up the library after class to study.

4. Boolean

Boolean

Want motivation? Look around you.

See those kids paying attention in class scoring 95's on everything?

They're are going to be your competition when you're trying to get in to medical school.

Want to actually get in? Start paying attention.

Sure, what you're doing might work now. But it won't in the future. There will come a time when you will have classes that you simply cannot cram. What will you do then?

Start working now. Start studying now. Kick the bad habits and better yourself for the future.

gumdrops likes this.
  5. DrCharlemagne

DrCharlemagne Old Maid in Training 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First, stop that. Fatalistic thinking is seductive and energy draining. Even if you flub everything and install several roadblocks on your idealized path to medicine now, you will not be a failure and you will find a different way to get to where you want to go in life.

Second, since you already know what you "should" do to become a better student, now take some time to reflect on why that isn't happening. Are you a procrastinating perfectionist? Is your peer group proving too distracting? Internets? Depression? Once you have a more specific concept of what's wrong, you'll have a much easier time addressing your problem.

Since you're still in undergrad, you have an entire bevvy of resources to counsel you on ways to approach studying and performance anxieties; deans, counselors, professors and tutors. I have to say that's my one regret from undergrad; not using the people I paid a handsome sum to educate me. Anyone here could spout of a dozen different study methods, schedules and review tactics. It's up to you to figure out which ones stick, which ones don't and how to tweak it to suit your situation.

mdhopeeful likes this.
  6. SCDP

SCDP 2+ Year Member

I guess you guys are right, I know exactly what I need to do but the one issue is my work ethic, it's as simple as that. I am lazy as fuarkkkkkk. It's been that way since forever when it comes to school, obviously now I know it won' cut it. But the problem is I have no inner motivation to study. I hate school and think the whole system is BS. Half the stuff I learn in undergrad science classes is pointless. Getting through this bitch work for what I actually want to do is just so tough.

I guess the one thing that keeps me going is knowing if I don't do it know I will regret it later, but again that's all extrinsic motivation and I want to actually have a desire to learn and study and do well but unfortunately that's not the case, for me it's what's the least possible amount of work I can do to get the A.

7. Boolean

Boolean

Honestly though. You'll get through it. Just keep studying. Perhaps look at alternative methods of study. Make flashcards, find a quiz app, whatever it is that drives you to study and actually retain that information.

BillyGee and DrCharlemagne like this.
  8. SCDP

SCDP 2+ Year Member

Lol that's hilarious but definitely motivating.

Let's say after each lecture I memorized everything taught in that lecture, would I really ever have to cram the night before?

9. Boolean

Boolean

You may. But certainly not as much. When you learn and truly understand the material, you'll spend the night before the test revising, not cramming. You'll take a while to review over the content, rather than trying to learn it all in one night.

10. Life Sucks

Life Sucks STUDY HARD PANTZ ON... 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Look at those foreign students who get near 4.0's. GPA is reflection of effort. You already answered you question anyhow, so get your A off here and go. In fact, I need to get off as well.

11. SCDP

SCDP 2+ Year Member

Lol I wish I was raised like those foreign students, they're raised the right way and have no issues for motivation for studying and doing well.

12. musicalMD

musicalMD

Pre-Medical
    Don't settle for anything less than you best. Doing "good enough" isn't going to help you in the future. Even if you can score a 4.0 with minimal effort, you may not be learning all information necessary for the mcat.

Take a few minutes at the end of each day to review what you have done in class. This will supplement your longer weekend practice seasons. This is the ideal schedule I have found to work for me.

About the ads