i need to cram

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, unlike the the last test, i need to cram for my zoology lab exam. how do you suggest i study if the test if Tuesday?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the format of the exam, multiple choice, essay, short answer? What is the material on? Is it memorization type material or do you have to solve problems.

there will be diagrams to fill out and short answers, for the most part

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'd log off SDN and start reading, but that's just me.:thumbup:

Take old exams if you have them and figure out the major topics covered. Then go learn those first.

change your sleep sched such that you're awake ~12 hrs before your exam to study...when you're cramming having the stuff fresh is key so you can just copy it back down on the exam. look at old exams and base your studying on the topics that overlap most. Use espresso to stay awake, and nyquil to knock yourself out so you can sleep at the right times. Not sure how you feel about Aderall - not my thing so I can't say if it works well or not, but some people swear by it. Make a playlist that keeps you pumped while studying in long stretches - no time to study an hour, break, study more, etc. Remember you're going to be fine - confidence is key. You're the man - don't forget it!

Good luck.

Well, I'd log off SDN and start reading, but that's just me.:thumbup:

Great idea.

Pull a couple of all nighters; a downfall to this however, is that it is difficult to retain the information after the exam. But if you do it right, you'll know enough to get an A, and you can study the information again afterwards to learn the material for the final.

Combine the following with any other useful advice for scheduling, general approach, etc...

As you go through material, don't try to memorize things that are easily put into list or table format. Make sure you really understand general concepts as you read. Any time you catch yourself having to pause and look over a list, table, cluster of factoids etc. a few times to "memorize it" just stop, jot down all the pertinent info on a separate "cram" sheet, and go on without trying to memorize it.

Now you've read everything once, and written the "rote memorization" stuff once (so you've gone through that twice), and you have a sheet or two of high-yield facts/tables/lists/numbers/etc. that you can review a couple of times in the hour or two before the exam.

The key is to put rote memorization stuff in short term memory... it will stick there long enough for the test, and then probably be gone. If you're lucky, and you have reviewed it several times before the exam, some might hang around for the future. And you should have a good understanding of the subject and all the conceptual parts of it, devoid of most of the "factoids."

Now, this strategy isn't the best when you really know you will need to master this information for future exams, classes, med school, boards, life, etc... but it gets you through the test with a good grade so that you can live to fight another day.

unfortunately, unlike the the last test, i need to cram for my zoology lab exam. how do you suggest i study if the test if Tuesday?

Does your prof give exams off of notes or text or both?

I would recommend that you read the text (for understanding), and review your notes.

If your profs exams are 80% lecture and 20% book then that is the distribution I would use to study for the exam.

I'm not a big fan of all-nighters, I usually require about 4 hours of sleep a night. So, do what works for you, but don't stress too much or you'll be too worried about the exam to retain the info or have any quality studying time.

Good luck!!

Studying 2 days before an exam isn't exactly cramming. You are an amateur in the art of the 'slack.' Come back when you're sitting down to study 4 hours before an exam.

Studying 2 days before an exam isn't exactly cramming. You are an amateur in the art of the 'slack.' Come back when you're sitting down to study 4 hours before an exam.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Only I am the master at that! I've practically crammed as I drove on the freeway and walking on my way to class. Then the info's really fresh but I'm nervous as hell.

If I were the OP, I would completely isolate myself from any distraction, read from the text/class notes and work a bunch of problems.

Best of Luck to you:luck:

x2.

i got a polymer processing test on tuesday, i won't start studying til tomorrow night. open notes eng tests are a little different tho.

suggestion to OP:
- get your ass off SDN
- chug a cup of starbucks black coffee
- get your ass to the library
- study til you fall asleep
- repeat all day tomorrow

edit: make sure you get at least 5/6 hours of sleep tonight and tomorrow night

Combine the following with any other useful advice for scheduling, general approach, etc...

As you go through material, don't try to memorize things that are easily put into list or table format. Make sure you really understand general concepts as you read. Any time you catch yourself having to pause and look over a list, table, cluster of factoids etc. a few times to "memorize it" just stop, jot down all the pertinent info on a separate "cram" sheet, and go on without trying to memorize it.

Now you've read everything once, and written the "rote memorization" stuff once (so you've gone through that twice), and you have a sheet or two of high-yield facts/tables/lists/numbers/etc. that you can review a couple of times in the hour or two before the exam.

The key is to put rote memorization stuff in short term memory... it will stick there long enough for the test, and then probably be gone. If you're lucky, and you have reviewed it several times before the exam, some might hang around for the future. And you should have a good understanding of the subject and all the conceptual parts of it, devoid of most of the "factoids."

Now, this strategy isn't the best when you really know you will need to master this information for future exams, classes, med school, boards, life, etc... but it gets you through the test with a good grade so that you can live to fight another day.

This is actually very solid advice. I've already been following it to some extent but you describe the process very well.