i need to learn to read by the 21st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so here's the deal. i suck at verbal. what should i do?

more specifically, should i be spending more time on reading the actual itself or answering the questions??

at this point, i feel like i'm rushing with the reading, keeping it under 3 minutes per passage, and obviously, i'm not doing too well.

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the opposite of what you're describing and got 11-13s on my practice verbals. Rather than flying through the passages and spending a lot of time on the questions, I went more slowly/deliberately through the passages and went very quickly through the questions. I also used the Kaplan passage mapping strategy. I found that if I took the time to really get what I was reading I would know the answers to most of the questions right away.

That being said, do not neglect timing. I used Kaplan's timing strategy to make sure I was staying on track to finish the section. The strategy is basically to use 17 minutes on the first three passage pairs and then 9 minutes on the last passage. I didn't always strictly adhere to this, but I used it to track my progress so I never suddenly realized I had like 8 minutes to do the last two passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with SN2ed. Two things happen when you read slowly but not too slowly. 1) You understand the passage better as a whole and able to get the main idea. 2) By going the questions relatively quickly and eliminating bad answers first you don't get confuse with the wording of the answer choices. You tend to trust your first instinct a lot more which is valid since you understood the passage.

hey.
ifeel you man,
two weeks ago, i was getting 5- 6 on verbal section
now im getting 9-10s on EK 101.
seriously
what these guys tell you is so true.
verbal is all practice. the question types are all similar too so
as you practice you can like see the answer!
for me
i read the passage for 3 minutes (2:30 - 3:00)
and do the questions for like 5 minutes most!
and then go to the next passage.
don't go over the passage too quick!
find your own pace and try to understand why the author is writing the passage!
oh also,
idk if other people agree.
i tend to paraphrase every paragraph so it helps me to figure out the author's point
(good for main idea question!)