I need to re-learn O-Chem. Which Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My O-chem is over 10 years old. There is no time for me to retake the class in time for my MCAT date.

I remember some of it, but I need to relearn this stuff to myself.

Which books should I use?

I have Examkrackers, O-chem for Dummies, and Nuts and Bolts.

Anyone use the Clayden O-chem text? Is "O-chem as a Second Language" by Klien a good one?

I've retaught myself Gen Chem in the last few months and I'm doing excellent in the prep tests in that section.

Any suggestion for O-chem, Gen Chem, Physics and Biology are appreciated! :thumbup:

(I won't be taking the test until June, so I have time)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same situation. I found EK 1001 questions to be very helpful. Read each section of the EK review book & then do the related questions in the 1001 book. Although some people like/need passage practice, I found the bang-bang discretes covered every wrinkle. Some topics I thought I understood but uncovered some short coming in understanding when doing the questions. Although I was 10 years without an orgo class, the 1001 questions helped me get a BS12.

I am in the same situation and I am finding the EK 1001s to be very useful. I was looking at my college ochem ( 10+ years ago) book and I found that it has way too much information that probably I wont need for the mcat so that I aborted using it. I will stivk with ek book, TPR hyperlearning to go in more depth and 1001 to nail concepts. good luck

This is a tough question because no matter what you use to study for this it is going to take a lot of your study time especially to learn or re-learn this material. Might as well do it right by going over the important topics throughout your O-chem book. Make an outside. Give definitions. Give practice problems. Repeat, Read, Repeat, Read...

Members don't see this ad :)
The Clayden text is absolutely the best introductory organic chemistry text out on the market. However, it is quite dense, and unless you enjoy organic chemistry, I wouldn't try to use it to study for the MCAT.

Best overall review specifically for MCAT Organic Chem: Gold Standard videos on DVD. You can get them on amazon, the MCAT Store or sometimes cheap on ebay but it's a very clear, concise review without going overboard. For example, for spectroscopy, textbooks will discuss different nuclei (H, C, F, P), fractional spins, etc but the MCAT only covers very simple proton NMR and IR.

If you decide that you are going to use a textbook, then first get the syllabus from the AAMC.org and follow it so that you don't study something for nothing (ie, alkenes, alkynes, aromatics, etc).

good luck

Here is the AAMC link for the org syllabus (you have to scroll down alot but you'll find it): http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatinterpmanual05.pdf